1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black Monday

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Vertical Limit, Jan 9, 2023.

1. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    So far, Lovie Smith was let go. Loved that he went out with a W to screw over the Texans draft position. Couldnt have happened to a better franchise.

kliff kingsbury has been fired by the Cardinals

KeyFin likes this.
  2. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Personally wouldn't mind Lovie Smith as a DC.

Springveldt and dolphin25 like this.
  3. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Could be intriguing. As a DC he’s done well but the Tampa 2 requires a very athletic MLB. Don’t know if we have a MLB that could excel in that scheme and not sure I trust Grier to bring in the right one.

Silverphin and dolphin25 like this.
  4. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    What an insult to Lovie Smith. The man is a good football coach. Given a position that everyone knew was 1 and done from the start, no talent on that team either. Feel bad for the guy. Hope he at least got paid well and gets a nice chunk of cash to move on now too. Funny how we get dragged through the mud for our coaching decisions and the Flores deal and the tanking accusations yet here is a minority head coach that was given a job and nothing else to help him succeed and is fired immediately. You will NEVER convince me Houston ever considered him being a long term solution. It's like what Arizona did with Steve Wilks before they hired Kingsbury. It just reeks of tanking and shady hiring practices yet I don't hear an outcry for how they've handled this? There should be.

That being said I absolutely LOVE the fact he got a win and screwed them out of the #1 pick. I saw a pretty big smirk on his face on field after the game ended. Knowing he was going to be fired it sure was a feel good moment for him I bet.

5. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Is he though? Personally I've never been impressed with him as head honcho. Feels like an overachieving DC. But the Texans job was an insult and it's nice they got shafted by him. I'm interested to see if Chicago tries to package that pick to a QB needy team like the Colts or Raiders.

The Texans though ... man what an absolute dumpster fire.

One name to watch (and the Texans are interviewing) is Lions' offensive coordinator Ben Johnson. He's gonna be a Kevin O'Connell/Mike McDaniel type hire for someone. I'd be intrigued about him in Arizona except that Murray is, by all accounts, an unmotivated bleephead. Carolina would be interesting as well if they can find a QB.

dolphin25 likes this.
  6. Fishhead

Fishhead Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2016
    DeMeco Ryans is another hot name out there and for good reason - that defense is really, really good. He hates Houston, though.

Will this time (lost count how many cycles at this point) be the one for Bienemy? He must be the worst interview ever to not have a HC job yet.

7. StaleTacos

StaleTacos Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2022
    I don't want Boyer as I don't like his gimmicky defensive scheme.

However, I don't see how a coach can fix this defense. The roster is wholly devoid of talent.

The defensive line has talent but doesn't make much of an impact. Phillips and Chubb get pressures but don't get enough sacks. The linebacker group is very bad. The CBs are overpaid AF and middling to bad. Holland went backwards to middling. Like you need a LOT of talent on this roster. No coach can miracle work this defense into top 10.

8. Fireland

Fireland Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Talent going backwards certainly could suggest coaching problems.

dolphin25 and texanphinatic like this.
  9. Fishhead

Fishhead Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2016
    I don’t think the defensive roster is devoid of talent; I think injuries and terrible scheming are more to blame. Of course, the LB corps needs to be upgraded - need a true MLB (Roquan Smith) and a speedy guy who can cover the flat and get to the qb on occasion. If X’s performance (or lack thereof) this year was due primarily to his injuries, then he can rebound next year and they just have to add another cb. The safeties are fine, and the d-line will be better with Ogbah back and better schemes.

dolphin25 likes this.
  10. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Flores got an interview...for a defensive coordinator. lol

11. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    I pointed out in one of the other threads that even with injuries, a GOOD defensive coordinator can adjust and still have their defenses perform. The Broncos and the Chargers were the two examples I illustrated. Devastated by injuries and yet their defenses still excelled. That's what a GOOD DC will do...adjust and scheme to the strengths of the players he does have.

dolphin25 likes this.
  12. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    And finally be with Deshaun Watson in Cleveland lol.

KeyFin likes this.
  13. dolphin25

dolphin25 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    I believe Ben was once a coach with the Dolphins.

14. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    I watched Smith play one game, and he was not impressive. Of course that was with his new team, so maybe still getting used to the scheme.

15. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    I agree. Would love to see a good D coach scheme this up.

16. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Looks like Jim Harbaugh is returning to Michigan. Not a surprise considering it was reported he wanted total control and refused to interview in person (along with a massive salary). Regardless, one big name off the board. Perhaps makes teams more desperate for Payton, which is nuts if they give up a first. The only team that should make that move miiiiiiiiight be the Chargers if they want to move on from Staley.

I still think Ben Johnson gets a gig - I'd lean toward the Panthers or Indy. Shane Steichen (Philly OC) has also had several interviews and is probably a strong candidate based on their success and QB development.