Bleacher Report Has Miami @ 32

99 replies

PhinFan1968PhinFan1968SupporterOP
Jul 21, 2014, 05:07 PM

At the risk of making some haters feel good about themselves, I'm gonna post this anyway...simply because it's so damn hilarious.

"Two months ago, I put the Miami Dolphins on the bottom of the post-draft power rankings...

...Dolphins fans won't like to see this ranking again, but it's where I feel they belong."

Those are the opening and closing lines, enjoy the junk in the middle in all its glory. Some fair points, some contextually deficient reaches, overall: standard BS jibberish.

I needed a good laugh today.

Brian Flores when asked about tanking: “Again, no we’re not (tanking). We’re going to try to win every game. I think that’s disrespectful to even say that.”

:rimshot:

Jul 21, 2014, 05:09 PM

You should re-name the thread "Ty Schalter Has Miami @ 32".

Bleacher Report has an entire stable of local and national writers, some not even paid. Ty Schalter does not represent the Bleacher Report organizational position on the Miami Dolphins.

Also, given his stance on the Dolphins being #32...he really did choose a pretty hilarious cover picture. Kudos for that.

Vegas consistently seems to have us in the #24 to #26 range and I think I would agree with that, pending clarity on what changes Bill Lazor has in mind for the offense. Also pending their solution to the Pouncey dilemma.

Twitter: @ckparrot
3 Yards Per Carry Podcast - Featuring Boomer, Section126, and ckparrothead
threeyardspercarry.podbean.com

Alex44Alex44New Member
Jul 21, 2014, 05:11 PM
"PhinFan1968 wrote:

At the risk of making some haters feel good about themselves, I'm gonna post this anyway...simply because it's so damn hilarious.

"Two months ago, I put the Miami Dolphins on the bottom of the post-draft power rankings...

...Dolphins fans won't like to see this ranking again, but it's where I feel they belong."

Those are the opening and closing lines, enjoy the junk in the middle in all its glory. Some fair points, some contextually deficient reaches, overall: standard BS jibberish.

I needed a good laugh today.

I like how he basically talks about nothing on the field except Wake and Pouncey. Cam Wake -could- lose a step? Any player -could- but Wake isn't a guy who is going to burn out at 32. Pouncey will hurt but Albert should help just as much. Line can't be any worse than last season. Period.

DJ being suspended sucks but luckily we still have OV and Wake to smooth the suspension over.

Through that media circus he talks about...we STILL werent the worst team last year or even close. Why would we be the worst now?

On the draft Quentin Rollins bandwagon.

gunn34gunn34New Member
Jul 21, 2014, 05:14 PM

I thought most people here loved what Bleacher Report usually writes. I guess this will change that.

PhinFan1968PhinFan1968Supporter
Jul 21, 2014, 05:18 PM

"ckparrothead wrote:

You should re-name the thread "Ty Schalter Has Miami @ 32".

Bleacher Report has an entire stable of local and national writers, some not even paid. Ty Schalter does not represent the Bleacher Report organizational position on the Miami Dolphins.

Also, given his stance on the Dolphins being #32...he really did choose a pretty hilarious cover picture. Kudos for that.

Vegas consistently seems to have us in the #24 to #26 range and I think I would agree with that, pending clarity on what changes Bill Lazor has in mind for the offense. Also pending their solution to the Pouncey dilemma.

Well, IMHO, BR posted and hosted it, so they own it. I think most people would see it as a BR article...since that's where it is...and it didn't start off with "Independent Analyst Ty Schalter thinks..." therefore representation would be the normal assumption, would it not?

Edit: Oh...and the "Copyright © 2014 Bleacher Report, Inc. Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. All Rights Reserved. BleacherReport.com is part of Bleacher Report - Turner Sports" kinda takes ownership too no? I think your articles represented them better by the way.

Brian Flores when asked about tanking: “Again, no we’re not (tanking). We’re going to try to win every game. I think that’s disrespectful to even say that.”

:rimshot:

Jul 21, 2014, 05:37 PM

So much of the bear case on the Dolphins hinges on the changes to the offense with Bill Lazor, and yet so much of the bull case hinges on that as well. It makes for a really interesting season and I think I might enjoy seeing which direction things break.

If you're going to make the bear case then it's not that difficult to do. You have a potentially inferior stable of running backs and potentially inferior stable of offensive linemen switching to a very run-dependent offensive system similar to the one run by the Philadelphia Eagles last year. What do I mean by run-dependent? You have to look at the Eagles' tendencies. They ran the football in situations where other teams would pass the football. Most teams won't run on 3rd & 2, and they are even less likely to run on 3rd & 3. The Eagles not only ran on those downs, they ran on 3rd & 4 and 3rd & 5. Brilliant if it works, but what if it doesn't work because your inferior players blow it? Then you've got fans throwing sh-t at their televisions accusing Joe Philbin/Bill Lazor of being Kippy Brown re-born.

The Eagles married this with a passing attack that held the football longer, waiting for more potent crossing routes and deep routes to develop. Lucky for them they had one of the best OLs in the business pass protecting for Nick Foles, and Foles himself was shockingly good at dealing with pressure. Will the Dolphins take the same approach with an OL that has up to three guys on it that haven't yet played an NFL game, and a quarterback who was criticized often a year ago for his handling of pressure and is kind of mediocre at dealing with it? That could be painful, especially if the ground game is proving to be a net negative as far as dictating what downs and distances the passing game has to deal with. I doubt the Dolphins could manage to repeat the 59 sacks they took a year ago, but the sack PERCENTAGE could be even higher in this scenario, despite having (on paper) better talent on the OL.

Then again the bull case for the offense hinges on the possibility that the coaching between Bill Lazor and John Benton is just so good, and the fundamentals of what Philadelphia established a year ago are so sound, the approach so novel and unexpected, that it DOES all fall into place. If Tannehill does get the time he needs then the increase in play-action passing should help his efficiency as he's been a much better passer in play-action plays than regular dropbacks. The option concepts which Miami seems to be installing could make up for perceived talent deficiencies when it comes to the ground game. The reliance on pre-snap movement (if successfully pushed through Philbin's objections) could do as the laity imagines, confuse defenses and keep them on their toes.

On defense I think a lot of the bull/bear case actually depends on the linebackers unit. That unit will feature the same actors as the unit from a year ago that was a big weakness, however they're all now playing different roles...and those roles may be better suited for them. The ability to defend the run absolutely took a hit with the loss of Paul Soliai, and I do not buy for one second that Earl Mitchell steps right into that role and they don't miss a beat as far as run defense goes. If the dam breaks on the run defense then that will put the pass defense (which is what really matters) into difficult down and distance situations, and that's how that death spiral could begin. But the linebacker unit has the capability of rendering the loss of Soliai moot, if the players are able to be more aggressive, intuitive and disruptive. That's what the coaches are hoping for by moving Misi to the middle and flipping Ellerbe and Wheeler. If they play like the players they are paid to be, those linebackers could lead a defensive resurgence that sees the unit become a true top unit.

Twitter: @ckparrot
3 Yards Per Carry Podcast - Featuring Boomer, Section126, and ckparrothead
threeyardspercarry.podbean.com

GMJohnsonGMJohnsonNew Member
Jul 21, 2014, 05:50 PM

Vegas lines are not predictions of where teams will finish, they're based on what will bring in equal $$$ on both sides aka public opinion.

Anyone wanna take take a stab at how Miami is 24-26th in Vegas with a win total set at 8? Are 25 teams going .500 this year?

byroanbyroanAdministrator
Jul 21, 2014, 05:58 PM

"GMJohnson wrote:

Vegas lines are not predictions of where teams will finish, they're based on what will bring in equal $$$ on both sides aka public opinion.

Anyone wanna take take a stab at how Miami is 24-26th in Vegas with a win total set at 8? Are 25 teams going .500 this year?

Agreed. Vegas has 12 teams with win totals lower than ours with 3 tied. That puts us at somewhere between 20 and 16.

PhinFan1968PhinFan1968Supporter
Jul 21, 2014, 06:00 PM

"byroan wrote:

Agreed. Vegas has 12 teams with win totals lower than ours with 3 tied. That puts us at somewhere between 20 and 16.

And that makes sense (the 16 to 20 part) given our record last year, and possible improvements. Not no damn 32. I personally have us 16 to 18 with slight reserve depending on if the O line can be at least decent. If they are, watch the F out.

Brian Flores when asked about tanking: “Again, no we’re not (tanking). We’re going to try to win every game. I think that’s disrespectful to even say that.”

:rimshot:

MikeHonchoMikeHonchoSupporter
Jul 21, 2014, 06:11 PM

Anything more useless than pre-season rankings?

Most of us need pre-season rankings like we need a third anus.

Headcoach material wouldn’t want to work somewhere they’re not trusted with actual football decisions.

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Jul 21, 2014, 06:20 PM

"lmeister3 wrote:

Anything more useless than pre-season rankings?

Most of us need pre-season rankings like we need a third anus.

pre-season rankings posted on Bleacher report?

Might as well say, "Drunk college guy has Dolphins ranked 32"

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

Clark KentClark KentForum Veteran
Jul 21, 2014, 07:46 PM

How did philly improve their oline so quickly?. It was trash in 2012. They added Lane Johnson (who kinda sucked) and who?

unluckylucianounluckylucianoNew Member
Jul 21, 2014, 07:51 PM
"PhinFan1968 wrote:

At the risk of making some haters feel good about themselves, I'm gonna post this anyway...simply because it's so damn hilarious.

"Two months ago, I put the Miami Dolphins on the bottom of the post-draft power rankings...

...Dolphins fans won't like to see this ranking again, but it's where I feel they belong."

Those are the opening and closing lines, enjoy the junk in the middle in all its glory. Some fair points, some contextually deficient reaches, overall: standard BS jibberish.

I needed a good laugh today.

*lbsfinest likes this*

thanks to VO for the sick ass sigs.


Charlie: If you're not as educated or as informed what you do is you start your own party and you yell the loudest.

unluckylucianounluckylucianoNew Member
Jul 21, 2014, 07:53 PM

"gunn34 wrote:

I thought most people here loved what Bleacher Report usually writes. I guess this will change that.

I honestly don't get a lot of the hate, I tend to enjoy a lot of their stuff. It's not pulitzer prize winning, but I feel that way about most writings today. (Yes, I'm a bit of a snob.)
Having said that, I'd still say this article/ranking is bull****. That's just me though.

thanks to VO for the sick ass sigs.


Charlie: If you're not as educated or as informed what you do is you start your own party and you yell the loudest.

PhinFan1968PhinFan1968Supporter
Jul 21, 2014, 07:57 PM

"lmeister3 wrote:

Anything more useless than pre-season rankings?

Most of us need pre-season rankings like we need a third anus.

Well, you have 4, get over it... ;)

Brian Flores when asked about tanking: “Again, no we’re not (tanking). We’re going to try to win every game. I think that’s disrespectful to even say that.”

:rimshot:

Jul 21, 2014, 08:00 PM

"GMJohnson wrote:

Vegas lines are not predictions of where teams will finish, they're based on what will bring in equal $$$ on both sides aka public opinion.

And alas, the myth continues.

Twitter: @ckparrot
3 Yards Per Carry Podcast - Featuring Boomer, Section126, and ckparrothead
threeyardspercarry.podbean.com

DHPVWDHPVWNew Member
Jul 21, 2014, 08:05 PM

Bleacher Report is the National Inquirer of the sports world. They have got even more ridiculous as of late. I hate reading almost anything they put out anymore. It's just laughable

jdang307jdang307Supporter
Jul 21, 2014, 08:13 PM

"lmeister3 wrote:

Anything more useless than pre-season rankings?

Most of us need pre-season rankings like we need a third anus.

I would never be complete with my second one though.

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Jul 21, 2014, 08:15 PM

IMO, this is one of the seasons where I would not be surprised if Miami is 11-5 and wins the first round of the playoffs or if they are 5-11 and the wheels come off.

There are a lot of things that can go wrong which could derail this season. However there are enough things that can go right, that are possible and decently probable for the Dolphins to take the next step.

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Jul 21, 2014, 09:06 PM

"gunn34 wrote:

I thought most people here loved what Bleacher Report usually writes. I guess this will change that.

Who likes Bleacher Report? Most of the stuff on it is terrible trash.

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

LimboLimboForum Veteran
Jul 21, 2014, 09:35 PM

"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:

IMO, this is one of the seasons where I would not be surprised if Miami is 11-5 and wins the first round of the playoffs or if they are 5-11 and the wheels come off.

We need that to happen. For it to be either very good or very bad. Another year of 7-9 or 8-8 or 9-7 would leave this team with more difficult decisions, lots of maybes and what-ifs like we've seen for almost a decade. Obviously a great year would be sweet, but a really terrible season isn't a bad thing at all if you're thinking big picture. Need answers at QB and HC this year.

ROroy_miamiForum Veteran
Jul 21, 2014, 09:47 PM

"Clark Kent wrote:

How did philly improve their oline so quickly?. It was trash in 2012. They added Lane Johnson (who kinda sucked) and who?

According to football outsiders Philly had the 31st ranked o-line at pass protection.

I would also like to see a link to Vegas having us ranked 26th.

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Jul 21, 2014, 10:06 PM

"lmeister3 wrote:

Anything more useless than pre-season rankings?

Most of us need pre-season rankings like we need a third anus.

Gist for the mill, do think we do have a lot of questions, especially on the offensive line

My general rule is more than 3 questions heading into a season means 8-8 barring some breaks or Tannehill going to the next level

-offensive line
-lb corps
-Sturgis,

All legit questions heading into the season

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
Jul 21, 2014, 10:17 PM

"padre31 wrote:

Gist for the mill, do think we do have a lot of questions, especially on the offensive line

My general rule is more than 3 questions heading into a season means 8-8 barring some breaks or Tannehill going to the next level

-offensive line
-lb corps
-Sturgis,

All legit questions heading into the season

You've got to use pure logic here...oline and linebacker unit can't get worse with the additions of more talented players and the switching of positions so that truer skillsets can be deployed,
I think folks keep forgetting that Clabo and Martin were utterly useless pieces of dookie, and our left guard situation was just as bad..or they don't realize how bad the dookie stunk.

PhinFan1968PhinFan1968Supporter
Jul 21, 2014, 10:29 PM

"djphinfan wrote:

You've got to use pure logic here...oline and linebacker unit can't get worse with the additions of more talented players and the switching of positions so that truer skillsets can be deployed,
I think folks keep forgetting that Clabo and Martin were utterly useless pieces of dookie, and our left guard situation was just as bad..or they don't realize how bad the dookie stunk.

I think he's coming from more of a "haven't proven" angle, which is fair. I tend to agree with you though...how could it be worse?

The LBs are aligned better as well IMHO. I get excited when I see somebody starving for knowledge like Misi...can't teach those kinda intangibles...there has to be a NEED within that player, and he's showing it.

Sturgis? Well, he was good, then inconsistent, then bad. I'm hoping he just had deer-in-the-headlights syndrome and needed to acclimatize himself to the NFL. I expect a better % from him, else we need to look FA. I was one of those OK with Carp going and keeping the rook...did NOT expect him to drop off like he did.

Off topic, but MAN...I just have the sneaking feeling we're going to destroy the Pats week 1...I get all jittery just thinking about it!! Wake and OV are gonna pull the Malachi Crunch on Marcia and she's gonna folk like a lawn chair!!! I don't wish injury on the man, just a good old fashioned ass whoopin'.

Brian Flores when asked about tanking: “Again, no we’re not (tanking). We’re going to try to win every game. I think that’s disrespectful to even say that.”

:rimshot: