1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bleacher Report takes a look at our secondary

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by TiP54, Jul 17, 2009.

1. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    PhinsRock, late again and dolfan7171 like this.
  2. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    Thanks for the report though buddy!!

TiP54 likes this.
  3. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Thanks.

4. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I think you can tell more in these ota's then people think. especially secondary players.

anlgp likes this.
  5. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    I think our secondary will be tested early and often this upcoming season. All the more reason we need a better, or more diverse pass rush. The maturation/improvement of Merling and Langford, return of JT, and the addition of Wake should all help. But, I think the secondary could be exploited as a weakness. Having said that, I do think the talent is there. I am particularly excited about Smith's prospects as a pro. But, I just think it will take some time for it to all come together.

6. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

One of the things I enjoy knowing we have "the toughest schedule on paper" is knowing that if it pans out that way (and half the teams that are supposed to be "tough" actually don't suck) that it will prove to us our strengths and weaknesses.

If we win games we'll definitely know that we can hang with the big boys. If we lose games then we know right where the major flaws are in going up against them.

In my mind we have to be able to beat baltimore. Now you think back two years ago where we beat them for the only win of the season. But this last year we got beat twice.

We also have to get out of our division, which is a strategy I usually think of. Division first, conference second. We've drafted players to help us with that (with NE running the spread we needed a decent bit of CB help to combat their WRers, with buffalo adding TO we needed help as well). I think the FO staffs of teams usually downplay their moves in accordance to other teams moves. IE. NE has moss, welker, etc and BUF adds TO.. why wouldn't we draft two CBs that are tough, physical and can go up against the jump ball?

I'm quite excited to see how our secondary and pass rush have improved.. or where we need help. Same with the receivers and lines. The lines have some second year players coming (you know them as well as I do) and I'm excited to see where they have progressed and where they need help.

So many questions.. and only in time will they be answered.

Go PHINS

djphinfan likes this.
  7. DOLPHAN1

DOLPHAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

I have a feeling that we will be relying on our 3 rooks in the secondary right away. We will see how well the FO evaluated them pretty quickly.

Fin Fan In Cali likes this.
  8. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    I think so too, dj.
    If you're going to get faked out it isn't going to matter if you're wearing pads or not.

9. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    they will be coached up & ready to play
    by game four the kinks should all be ironed out

10. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    exactly brother...I mean if you think about it, we all have played football without pads pretty seriously in our day..you can tell whos a football player, especiall cover corners. Now i completely understand the dynamics change when the pads come on but you know what iam sayin, football is football.

The good news to me is how well we've been hearin our rooks have been playin in the ota's. I really wouldnt mind seeing our 2 rooks starting at the #2 and #3

late again likes this.
  11. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Brother that is probably why they have a very short list of secondary help, should they need to bring a vet in.:hi5:

12. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Agree the secondary will likely be very young and mostly Rookies, meaning they will get tested early on. However the improved pass rush should go a long way towards helping us with that little concern. Worked for the Giants in the SB vs. Pats.

Less time to pass the ball, less time our young secondary has to stay with the better WR's.

13. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I also think that with the experience we have with Wilson,Will Allen and the Bullfrog, we can take some chances with the athletisism from our rookies.

I say we go into the season with davis and smith interchangable at the #2 and #3 baby...hehehhehehe...thats exciting to me even though its dangerous as hell.

14. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    We have a deeper secondary than we have had in a long time. I hope our rookies end up being the next Madison and Surtain.