1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blockbuster deal for Pistons, Nuggets?

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by alen1, Jun 10, 2008.

1. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/53418

I wouldn't trade Tayshaun.

2. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/53251

3. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    So the Pistons want a Mulligan for not drafting Anthony when they had the chance? That may have been the worst draft pick since Bowie over Jordan.

4. phunwin

phunwin Happy kids are Dolfans. Luxury Box

That's not fair. Yes, the pick stunk. However, make no mistake, they don't win the 2004 title without Tayshaun Prince developing into a defensive stopper, and that doesn't happen with Anthony around. Obviously, they'd be better off in the long haul with Anthony than with Milicic, but that 2004 team doesn't come together like it did if Anthony's there.

unluckyluciano and alen1 like this.
  5. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Darko is my boy! Don't bash him lol, I know him personally. Asked him what the hell was up in Detroit and he said it basically sucked over there and he didn't want to try. Instead he tried to collect the paycheck which he is trying to do now in Memphis. He plans on giving it all his third and final year of his contract in Memphis to try and earn another good contract. He is currently making 7 million a year.

6. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Who Darko?

EDIT: If you are talking about Darko, yeah I guess he is selfish for just wanting the money but the guy has talent. I think he can develop into a good player if he wanted to but thats a different story since he half asses everything.

He doesn't hang much with his teammates. When he was with the Magic, he used to go to this bosnian restuarant that I usually went to. He would come right after practice or before it and just chill there, talk to us. Hes pretty low-key though and shy. He said he liked it here in Orlando because of the people who speak his native language and so forth but then the Magic didn't want to give him the contract he wanted. I believe they offered him 17 million over three years and he wanted 19 or around there. Later, Memphis offered him the contract of 21 million.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  7. phunwin

In terms of player value, Detroit would get the better end of that trade. However, the downside would be having to absorb Martin's crappy contract, and that balances it out somewhat. If they could talk the Knicks into a Martin-Zach Randolph swap, it would be tremendous value for Detroit (though it wouldn't help the salary situation at all). The Knicks might be interested, since Randolph is a terrible fit with Eddy Curry, and an even worse fit for a Mike D'Antoni offense, but Martin has thrived in an up-tempo offense before.

A Detroit rotation that looked like this would be interesting:
    C - Camby, McDyess
    PF - Randolph, Maxiell, Johnson
    SF - Anthony, Hayes/bargain FA
    SG - Hamilton, Afflalo
    PG - Stuckey, Atkins

That's a STRONG lineup and fits well together.

8. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Wouldn't Anthony, Randolph and Hamilton all want their shots though?

9. phunwin

Trading Billups now, rather than in two years when his game starts to fall off a cliff, is the right move. Fact is, for all the talk about "leadership", he hasn't exactly provided it the last couple years. It kills me to say that, but he hasn't.

Melo, I think, needs his own team to be a leader. Any team including Allen Iverson is going to be AI's team, for better or worse.

10. phunwin

Hamilton does most of his work off the ball; he rotates off screens and works off set plays. He's seldom actively demanding the ball. Randolph I would worry a little about, I admit; he's a bit selfish. However, neither of the centers (Camby/McDyess) need the ball much, and Stuckey would be running the offense and looking for shots to get things jump started. I think there would be enough shots to go around.

alen1 likes this.
  11. phunwin

I think Joe Dumars is taking the position that it's better to trade a guy a year too early than a year too late. And with Billups, yeah, he's the team's leader, but the leadership needs a shakeup.

I don't know that the window is closed; they could bring back the same core and be contenders next year, but they'd have to basically rely on something like Kevin Garnett or LeBron James getting hurt or hitting a bad funk in the Eastern finals. As constructed, this team is probably not talented enough to get by the Celtics next year.

As for Stuckey, he looked very good in the playoffs, and the Pistons were better with him on the floor than Billups in the Celtics series. Now obviously, much of that (most of it) is due to Billups being injured, but I think he's ready, and so do they.

12. FiN.in.RI

FiN.in.RI Paul pierced through..

Dec 3, 2007
    the Heart
    that would be cool.. all new faces

13. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Carmelo to Detroit? Do it. Detroit will never get out of the first round again.

14. #1dolphinsfan

#1dolphinsfan New Member

Nov 23, 2007
    im a Nuggets fan and i would love that trade

15. finfansince72

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Cmon man that was one of the worst draft picks of all time, theres no justifying it. The team would have been better taking Milicic off and putting Anthony on. Anthony could have been held back with a team of vets like Detroit was. Honestly Dumars is lucky they had such a good group of players already or he'd have been fired for that draft pick. I still can't imagine what people were thinking with Milicic, watching him its painfully obvious that he's not worthy of a lottery pick. Anthony however, was an obvious talent worthy of a top pick.

16. phunwin

Who do you think built that team? Who picked up Chauncey Billups when five other teams cast him aside? Who salvaged the Grant Hill departure by getting Ben Wallace and Chucky Atkins in return? Who drafted Tayshaun Prince? Who drafted Mehmet Okur? Who traded Jerry Stackhouse for Rip Hamilton? Who made the tough call to fire Rick Carlisle and replace him with Larry Brown? Who stepped in and made the deal to get Rasheed Wallace? Who took a chance on Antonio McDyess? Who skillfully managed Detroit's salary cap situation to allow them the flexibility to make moves, and avoided the lousy contracts that have submarined half the teams in the NBA? Who drafted Rodney Stuckey, Jason Maxiell and Amir Johnson with picks outside the lottery? Who put together the team that won a championship, and went to six straight Eastern Conference finals, after taking over a team that was a basement dweller?

I don't want to get personal, and I usually respect your opinion, but that's not the brightest thing I've ever read on this board. Joe Dumars is one of the top 5 GMs in the NBA. One bad pick does NOT put him on the firing line. And if he does, all I can say is I hope you never run an NBA franchise.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2008
    ChrisKo and alen1 like this.
  17. FiN.in.RI

FiN.in.RI Paul pierced through..

Dec 3, 2007
    the Heart
    yeah can't hate on Dumars.. it'd be like hating on Theo Epstein (almost)

18. finfansince72

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Seriously there was no need for any of this, you mistook what I was saying in a big way. He was lucky the team was built with good players, whether by him or not because if he had missed this bad on that pick and the team had stunk, he would have been fired. Most front office people get fired for completely bombing the 2nd pick in the draft, he had a great team built so he could withstand throwing that draft pick in the trash can. Serious trash post though, there was no need to talk to me like that, I have no respect for this post, I'm not some 10 post troll.

19. phunwin

If I misunderstood you, I apologize. And for the harsh language. That was probably a bit much.