1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blown call in Dolphins favor?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by mroz, Oct 26, 2010.

1. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    I have been thinking since Sunday and can not recall an instance in which there was a blown call that went the Fins way. So, I have to ask you guys for some help. When was the last time there was a game changing boneheaded call that went the Fins way?

2. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I think many Packers fans would complain about that call against their LB Francois on the punt. We ended up getting a TD because of that extremely late call.

Personally I think it was (barely) the right call. Mostly just one of those situations it could have gone uncalled but if I were the coach I still would have chastised Francois to be more careful how far he lines up off the snapper. It just ends up looking egregious because of how horribly late the flag came.

3. gilv13

gilv13 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2009
    I was going to say this. I remember the game coming back from commercial, and its magically our ball again. I was thinking if I was a Packers fan I would have been irate.

4. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    The only one I can remember was the Jason Taylor interception last year against Tampa Bay, where it looked like the receiver (Michael Clayton?) was down, but they ruled he did not complete the catch. Though that was very similar to the Calvin Johnson play.

The Packers one was iffy, but ultimately a dumb rule that was the correct call.

Of course, it's human nature to remember the bad more than the good.

TheAnswer385 likes this.
  5. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    ahh, that was the right call and according to one of the defensive players (dont recall who) he was doing it all game long. So it could have been one of those things that the refs let him get away with it long enough before throwing the flag.

6. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Luckily, they got a call that was just as bad and just as potentially game-changing when somehow on review they insisted that Ronnie Brown did not gain that yard he needed for the first down.

7. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Actually I would say Miami got screwed on that particular Jason Taylor play because it SHOULD have been a return for touchdown, but for an inadvertant whistle blow. I actually agreed with that call. The player hadn't actually established possession yet to where he could be ruled as being down with a dead ball.

8. gilv13

gilv13 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2009
    that's a good one (for us anyway)

9. Starry31

Starry31 Phins and Heels.

Dec 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    Last season Jason Taylor (ugh) had a questionable interception against the Bucs.

edit: Beaten to it.

10. krypto

krypto Banned

Sep 22, 2009
    How about the no-call when both Yeremiah Bell and Carlos Dansby made illegal contact in the endzone with Hines Ward? Stop playing the victim game because it's getting to be pathetic.(Not you personally, just everyone thats now focusing that the refs are out to get us)

11. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    It was close, REAL close. I watched that replay a good 10 times when I got home from the game, and think it could've gone either way.

Here's the play in question:

http://prod.www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-...02/WK-10-Can-t-Miss-Play-Controversial-Review

Now, there was contact by the defender. In Calvin Johnson's case, there was no contact meaning he had to complete the catch by getting up with the ball (still a dumb rule).

So IINM it should've been down by contact. Or I could be wrong. I really have no clue how the NFL determines rules.

12. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    I recall one game not too long ago that the Replays weren't working, and we got bailed out by that because I believe Bess caught a ball on 3rd down without getting both feet in, but it was ruled a catch.

Was that this season? Maybe against the Bills? Man my memory is so terrible...

Puka-head likes this.
  13. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    You're right. I think it was last year against Carolina.

14. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Close enough that if I were a Bucs fan I might feel differently but ultimately I would have officiated that call one way and the Calvin Johnson call another way. I felt that Calvin Johnson demonstrated enough degree of control with the ball throughout the process of the catch and showed that when he went to ground and the ball didn't move and then he actually moved the ball, in full control, with one hand while on the ground. That to me is 'through the process of the catch' by virtue of making a second controlled act with the ball after you've already hit ground. To me, on the Buccaneers INT, the receiver didn't do that. He fell to the ground as he was catching the ball and by definition it was literally impossible for him to have had legal possession before he hit the ground. He lost the ball as soon as he hit the ground, didn't survive with the football under his own control long enough to have demonstrated that he had the ball throughout his entire fall to the ground.

I think they got it right on the Bucs game, got it wrong on the Lions game.

15. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    very colorful game::yes:

1) Sunday's loss, 23-22 meant Miami became just the sixth team in NFL history to begin the season 0-3 at home

2) had Sparano gone for the extra two points ( and made it) when he had the opportunity, the fumble would have resulted in over-time, not a loss. couldn't figure out the logic of settling for one point when we were behind two. that decision was the game breaker that sealed our fate & ultimately set us up to lose. it was a bad call by the coach, not the referee that lost the game. we could have won it in overtime

3) everybody gets good breaks & bad breaks in a game. good or bad coaching usually makes the real difference in the outcome of a close game, especially when its played at home

no more excuses
    :no:

16. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I think it was against the Jets this year. Not sure it was a situation where the replays weren't working, I thought Rex Ryan just didn't challenge it.

But ultimately, it was a bad call. You're right.

17. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    This can't be right. You mean 6th team to start 0-3 at home and 3-0 on the road?

BlameItOnTheHenne likes this.
  18. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    and if we dont get it, we're not winning the game, and not in any position to win in regulation. to many people are way to critical. Football isnt madden, there's a reason no one goes for 2 pts all the time.

19. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    fact: by losing to the Pittsburgh Steelers on Sunday, 23-22, the Miami Dolphins became just the sixth team in NFL history to begin the season 0-3 at home
    number two & three are infinitely more important & revealing than the first statement

20. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    we were playing at home & would have had the edge with the referees after that obviously very bad call & could have won in overtime. Sparano made the game ending call, the only one that was within our power to control. the guy is incompetent. his job was to put us in a position to win & he didn't. there was absolutely no reason not to go for two points. in the end, it was to cost us the game

21. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    You are off topic 23 but I'll bite.

Not sure we would have won in OT because that is speculation but you are right. We should have went for two when it was 17-15. I said it in the game thread but was told we shouldn't chase points. I thanked the moron who responded and went on my way. That was a stupid coaching move not to go for two there because one point doesn't help you. :up:

22. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Friend Killerphins:
    the thread was on the "Blown call in Dolphins favor?"
    I replied:

very colorful game::yes:
    1) Sunday's loss, 23-22 meant Miami became just the sixth team in NFL history to begin the season 0-3 at home

2) had Sparano gone for the extra two points ( and made it) when he had the opportunity, the fumble would have resulted in over-time, not a loss. couldn't figure out the logic of settling for one point when we were behind two. that decision was the game breaker that sealed our fate & ultimately set us up to lose. it was a bad call by the coach, not the referee that lost the game. we could have won it in overtime

3) everybody gets good breaks & bad breaks in a game. good or bad coaching usually makes the real difference in the outcome of a close game, especially when its played at home

no more excuses
    :no:

my answer was appropriate however unpleasant
    it was about the blown call & all its ramifications

23. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    If you don't get it it is still 17-15 and you can win with a field goal. If you get it you tie the game. We went for one and it was stupid. One point doesn't help you. Watch football much?

the 23rd likes this.
  24. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    please. no more excuses. there is a decision-maker & the buck has to stop somewhere.
    bad decisions usually result in loses.
    it is what it is. you want to win? make the right decisions or find someone who can get the job done.

when Bill Parcells walked out the door & said what he had to say, seems like no one was listening.
    as unkind as his words were for Henne, his actions spoke volumes about his opinion of the HeadCoach

25. AdamC13

AdamC13 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    WTF...have you seen our redzone offense this year? And you want to go for 2 point conversions in the second quarter? And you think this is the reason we didn't go to overtime and being the game breaker and decision that sealed our fate?

Are you related to Sparano by chance?

Steve-Mo likes this.
  26. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    There has to be more than 6 teams that started off 0-3 at home.

27. CANEPHINS

CANEPHINS No Tats & Dreads Allowed

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Bess caught a pass last season vs someone and the pass was dropped, but they called it a catch and it wasn't challenged.

28. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    whine, complain, make excuses, but nothing changes
    what I posted was right on the money
    I suggest that we collectively
    take our head out of the sand or
    change the name of the team to the Miami Ostriches

GoFish!:dolphin:

29. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Here it comes...........:crapstrom:

30. ilovemyfins4eva

ilovemyfins4eva New Member

Oct 17, 2010
    long island
    last year vs saints on first drive. i believe we punted that drive anyway.

31. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    You go for two there. Chance to tie the football game before the half.
    It make sense really. Send the ball up to your star. That is why Marshall is here.:up:

32. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Not in the first half though dude. Usually I'm in the minority who would prefer to go for 2 to tie the game, as you don't know if you will score again, but I wouldn't do it in the first half.

33. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Would have pulled that trigger in a heart beat Rocky.
    It made big sense to try to tie the game.
    the extra point doesn't help us.

SeanP likes this.
  34. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    excuses are in reality verbal abuses that damage a clubs potential to produce
    1) let the coaching cadre step up, man-up & lead intelligently
    2) give a proven entity a shot @ starting QB. Henne is going nowhere with this offense. the deep pass is much over rated & seldom used. accuracy is more important.
    3) we still have a chance to get it right in 2010 & owe it to ourselves to do so
    the Miami Dolphins still can contend in 2010, if some basic changes are made immediately

35. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    what needs to be fixed on this team are Sparano & his QB
    the team has the potential to contend this year & should do exactly that...
    this is year three & we have all the pieces to win games, lets do it

36. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    :spam:

37. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    I've got to agree with you there. As bad as our offense performed in the 1st half, if its clicking, and we're driving it down field, you have really need to keep that going. You have to use the momentum while you got it, because we know how quickly that can change with this team.

If I recall we got the kickoff to start the second half right? Would have been great momentum leading into the 2nd half.

Killerphins likes this.