1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blue screen of death?

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by like2god, Apr 15, 2009.

Tags:
  1. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Over the past week and a half I have gotten a blue screen messege upon startup that says to contact system admin and something about physical memory dump, I reboot and everything is fine. I'll have to write it down the next time I see it, but any idea what is causing this? I've had this laptop for almost a year and this is the first time that I've had any problems like this and it just started happening randomly over the past week or so. :dunno:

2. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

just read up a bit and it could be bad drivers (update them?)

someone said they found thermal paste on their RAM (don't know how that got there?)

overclocking the PC can do it..

how much RAM does it have?

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=132922

check your temp. in your BIOS, you know how to do that? see how hot you're running...

system specs please. i'll keep looking...

like2god likes this.
  3. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Check your registry for any NEW lines.

it could be a driver you updated with that is not compatible with your system.

like2god and anlgp like this.
  4. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Impossible to say with this little information but it sounds a lot like your RAM is a goner. Needs more information.

like2god likes this.
  5. DaFish

DaFish Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    like2god likes this.
  6. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Specs
    http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/acer-aspire-8920-6048/4507-3121_7-33024473.html?tag=mncol;psum

I'm not sure how to check the temp. I downloaded a program called motherboard monitor, but the dashboard isn't very user friendly.

Nothing that I can see. I updated the driver a few months ago to the latest version, never had any problems.

Don't tell me that. :pity:

I'll write down the info the next time it happens.

I'll try that tomorrow.

7. anlgp

to check the temperature you need to go into your BIOS. It's F2 on my machine to get in but YMMV. Once you're in there you'll have to go around a bit because every BIOS is set up differently; but it should tell you the temperature in there. Write those down and report. I think it sounds like a driver/RAM issue from what I'm gathering but it's always nice to know what temperature your machine is running at...

If you think it is running hot; it probably is.

like2god likes this.
  8. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    you need to write down what the message says and go from there. Could be any number of things. We can start with does windows start loading at all?
    Write down the message and you should see something like a number 0x000003c something like that, write that down as well.
    You can also try starting on save mode see if that works.
    If you can get on in safe mode or at all, go to control panel, admin tools, event viewer. then click on system. If you see a red x with a circle thats an error. Look at all of them and start reading :D

like2god and anlgp like this.
  9. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    When this happens, nothing loads, it just goes right to the blue screen. I reboot and then it's fine for a few days.

I went into event viewer and didn't see any red x's with a circle, just regular information logs. :confused2:

10. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    go to your main drive, windows, minidump. You said the screen talked about performing a dump right?

all this dump talk turning you on?

edit: if it is restarting right away then you will need to turn on some options so that it will dump and report whatever is happening.

like2god likes this.
  11. USArmyFinFan

USArmyFinFan Maximum Effort

Mar 23, 2008
    Houston Texas
    Three things come to mind with out seeing the Comp. I will list from most likely to least likely. 1. Memory is going (I know it sucks, but the truth hurts sometimes.) 2. You have a bug trying to load upon start up, and it is unstable. 3. You have missing or corrupt data in your Bios’/master boot record.

Are you running XP or Vista? Who made your laptop? I suggest getting the free version of fresh diagnose, it will break down all you components as well as benchmarking tools. If it is your memory, it is far better then your motherboard.

DOLPHAN1 and like2god like this.
  12. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Alright, it happened again, this time 2 times in a row when I started my computer. This was the message that popped up on the blue screen.

Stop: C0000218 {Registry File Failure}
    The registry cannot load the Hive (file):
    \systemroot\system32\config\system
    or its log or alternate.
    It is corrupt, absent or not writeable.

Beginning dump of physical memory
    Physical memory dump complete.
    Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

If anyone gives me bad news, I'll jump through my broken computer and punch you in the nose. :shifty:

I did a search and it seems alot of people had this same problem, most of them were running Vista, but none of them had a solution.

13. anlgp

\systemroot\system32\config\system

that sounds major.. i know system32 is very important so i'm only guessing that \config\system is important to system32.

http://www.schrockinnovations.com/preventsys32config.php

*note* If your computer is suffering from the "Windows/System32/Config/System file missing or corrupt" problem, use the links below to attempt recovery now. If your computer is working properly at the moment, PLEASE follow the links to page 2 of the tutorial to learn how you can back up your system files so you can recover from this problem should it afflict your computer in the future. As of now, we do not know why this problem is afflicting Windows XP users, and we do not know how to prevent it from striking your PC. The best thing you can do with a healthy computer is to backup your Windows/System32/Config files now in case you experience this error. The back up is free, and it will not harm your PC in any way.

edit:

crap i don't think it's the same thing :(

like2god likes this.
  14. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Some suggestions that I saw said to reinstall windows and some said you might be able to fix it manually. I never got a windows recovery disc with this laptop, it gave me the option to burn one, but I'm guessing it's too late to do it now even though the balloon still pops up. Others who have done the reinstall say that it didn't help.

One guy had this happen to him off and on for over a year, so who knows?

15. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    link

could be anything could be a software error, could be your hardware. I recommend running chkdsk /r first. If you get a whole bunch of errors, let it restart and run. see if that solves the problem, or is the problem. Whatever you do do not get a registry cleaner. Read the article I posted.

Try getting in safe mode and burning the disk...........

DOLPHAN1, like2god and anlgp like this.
  16. anlgp

i agree w/lucky. registry cleaners are pretty crappy.

like2god likes this.
  17. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Hmm...I've been running two different registry cleaners for the past few months (Uniblue and CCleaner registry cleaner). I'll try your suggestion tomorrow Lucky, and report what I find.

18. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    I just read that link and I have been having trouble shutting down the laptop, usually when I start it back up it says that it didn't shut down properly and gives me the option to resume, start in safe mode or start normally.

19. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    yeah man I've read on message boards and heard from a friend even, that registry cleaners can cause problems.......

like2god likes this.
  20. USArmyFinFan

USArmyFinFan Maximum Effort

Mar 23, 2008
    Houston Texas
    Lucky’s right, you need to scan your disk incase you have bad sectors on your disk. You can use windows, or if you know what type of hard drive you have, you can try a more specific tester. Some can be found here.

like2god likes this.
  21. DOLPHAN1

DOLPHAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Blue screens really suck because there is no clear cut issue until something actually ceases to function. The problem is it could literally be anything hardware or software related. It has been my experience that usually one of two things is happening when this starts to happen. the first is a corrupt or missing file in system32. Sometimes if diagnosed it is an easy issue to fix using a PE software and fixing the registry. In extreme cases a restore is in order. What is the manufacturer of the laptop? Depending on who it is and how old the LT is you may be able to get restore cd's for free or minimal cost.

Second, you may have bad sectors on your hard drive or the drive is just starting to fail all together. Try running a fitness test on the machine. You can choose from a couple of good programs here: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

Other issues could be bad memory or graphics card/drivers or recently upgraded or added software. Check your AV as well. if you use something like Norton or McAffee and they corrupt, that can cause issues also.

like2god likes this.
  22. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    I'll try it

It's an Acer Aspire 8920, it's less than a year old. I still haven't gotten around to running the test on this, I'll have to remember to do it tomorrow.