1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Booker trade about system, not talent

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by hugoguzman, Apr 29, 2008.

What are your thoughts on the Booker trade?

1. I'm ok with it. Booker wasn't that good.

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  2. I'm ok with it. Booker is good but didn't fit the system.

14 vote(s)
    48.3%
  3. I'm very disappointed. Booker could have been a major factor

12 vote(s)
    41.4%
  4. I'm very disappointed. We didn't get enough for him.

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  1. hugoguzman

hugoguzman New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    CrunchTime likes this.
  2. RealDriscoll

RealDriscoll Banned

Jan 9, 2008
    It was strictly about system. Lorenzo Booker was our Offensive MVp for the last 4 games of the season. Parcells likes to pound , not run screens and dump offs.

3. jason8er

jason8er Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Beaufort, SC
    I'm going to wait on passing judgement until I see what Shawn Murphy can do.

4. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    I voted for system as well although I must say I was not as impressed with him as many fans for the reasons you stated.

There must have been a reason why Cam did not use him for most of the year and when he did get his chance he looked good compared to our other offensive players because a lot of them had packed it in already.

As you said he showed a lot of flash but no big play ability.

5. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

No problem with trading him, didn't fit the system or Parcells' manna of pounding the ball. However, we gave a 3rd round pick for him, then after he showed he can be explosive and a play maker in the NFL, we only got a 4th for him, not impressed with that.

6. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Booker was a bit of a luxury that we just can't afford right now. Much like the Welker trade that yielded us Satele, I'm hoping the Booker trade that yielded us Murphy turns out to be the right call for our offensive line. Booker was one of our lone bright spots last year (especially after Ronnie went down), an exciting player, but at the end of the day it made more sense for us to move him. My only complaint is that we should have maybe gotten more value out of him.

PhinsRock likes this.
  7. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I also agree that it was schematic.

It's always fun to watch an athlete like that run around a field. But for all his insane amount of quicks and speed, Booker is very much like Darren McFadden in that his smaller legs go dead on contact. He is not a tackle breaker in that way, something you have to be in Parcells' physical system .

Very good point about Shawn Murphy. That's essentially what we traded him for. So that'll be a good watch point for us.

8. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    Agree 100 precent bro:up::hi5:

9. hugoguzman

hugoguzman New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    Thanks for props guys!

The one thing that wasn't mentioned in this article is that Booker was not a great pass blocker. I think he could have figured it out, but it's probably worth mentioning.

CrunchTime likes this.
  10. bkbuffet

bkbuffet Season Ticket Holder

Nov 28, 2007
    Omaha, NE
    I was kind of looking forward to what he could do this year.
    But, it's kind of pointless if he is not in a system that will utilize his ability.
    I'm guessing he will turn some heads in Philly, because their system fits him well.

11. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    I'll agree - Booker being traded was a system thing. He's a guy who got a first down 37% of the time he touched the ball. Not big on scoring, but a nifty player who could pick up yards. Philly could use a guy like that in their quick and speedy offensive game plan, but we're going to be a strict by the numbers between the tackles kind of offense. I'm sad to see him go, but wish him a lot of luck.

hugoguzman likes this.
  12. Dolphinsfan69

Dolphinsfan69 Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Agreed

13. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Ireland answered it pretty specifically in his PC. He said that Lobook wasn't going to supplant RB or RW. So as a 3rd back he was going to get the majority of his plays on STs. Unfortunately, Lobook doesn't play STs. Lobook is a playmaker but wouldn't get many plays in our system.

hugoguzman likes this.