1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boom Shalla Boom....Am I blessed or am I doomed...

Discussion in 'Fantasy Football' started by vt_dolfan, Sep 8, 2009.

1. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

So...heres how my draft unfolded last night...

First the specs:

$88.00 Entrance Fee

6 pts Rushing Td
    6 pts Receiving TD
    4 pts Passing TD

-1 for Int
    Receiving 10 yds = 1pt
    Rushing 10 yds = 1pt
    Passing 25yds = 1 Pt

FG - 3
    XP - 1
    Sack 1
    Pick 1
    Fumble Recovery 1

ST/D TD - 6
    Shut Out - 10 pts

1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR (run and shoot with 1 RB and 3 WR is possible)
    1TE, 1 K, 1 D

I had the first pick overall, first time being there. Serpentine draft and let me tell you...its a loong way back..lol.

So...heres the team.

Round 1 - Adrian Peterson
    Round 2 - Aaron Rogers (top three WR's and QB's gone...I actually think Aaron Rogers will be close the top QB at the end of the season)

Round 3 - Ronnie Brown
    Round 4 - First WR taken here...Vincent Jackson...and then right back for WR#2

Round 5 - Wes Welker (possible value pick here if he ups his TD total some this year)

Round 6 - Antonio Bryant (Figure Leftwich can heave it long..cant he?)
    Round 7 - Greg Olsen (Heard alot of groans when I grabbed him here....this guys gonna be a stud TE...round 7 is a fair spot I think)

Round 8 - Laverneos Coles
    Round 9 - HOMER PICK ALERT - Ted Ginn Jr (at 9 I dont think its a reach...I think he will have round 4-5 results this year)

Round 10 - The AD Handcuff...Chester Taylor
    Round 11 - SLEEPER ALERT Chris Henry the WR in Cinci...lol
    Round 12 - Michael Crabtree
    Round 13 - Mason Crosby
    Round 14 - Homer Alert - Chad Pennington B/U QB
    Round 15 - Miami D - Best D left on the board....

So...

QB - Aaron Rogers, Chad Pennington
    RB - Adrian Peterson, Ronnie Brown, Chester Taylor
    WR - Vincent Jackson, Wes Welker, Laverneous Coles,Ted Ginn Jr, Antonio Bryant, Chris Henry, Michael Crabtree
    TE - Greg Olsen
    K - Mason Crosby
    D - Miami

Let me have it....blessed or doomed?

2. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    I wouldn't have touched Crabtree. I'll be shocked if he does anything at all.

You're fate is going to be tied to Miami. I probably would have skipped Crabtree and gone after another TE or Def.

EDIT: You REALLY need a RB 4. AD and Ronnie Brown with Chester Taylor as a backup isn't going to cut it.

3. vt_dolfan

Yeh...I knew that..but...the value wasnt there in the draft at the time...Ill make trade before my first RB Bye...and pick up another RB. My thinking on Crabtree was that if he gets signed...his upside was more than whatever TE was available....or I could Waive him and sign a #4 RB...

The Back I am scouting is LaRon McClain

Brown is really the only Phin I am depending on though....Miami's D is going to do just as well as any mid tier D....Brown is my ace though. If he performs like a back who should be taken in round 1....Ill do allright I think.

4. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    I'd avoid McClain. He's being moved back to FB and at this point his only value is as a TD vulture, and even that is up in the air as he's behind Rice and McGahee on the goal line. Rice is the only Baltimore back I'd really even consider at this point - McGahee has moved into the Fred Taylor/Chester Taylor very good backup point.

5. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Agree with VO. As Ive said in prior threads I don't like Vincent Jackson as the Chargers will return to their run first roots and Gates not him is really target 1. Plus Chambers being healthy will take away from him as well.

Start looking at backs. James Davis, Rashard Mendenhall, Micheal Bush, or any remaining starters will be needed for your bye weeks.

6. vt_dolfan

Yeh...I put in a waiver claim on Michael Bush last night....

7. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I really couldn't disagree more with the part in bold. I'm not sure why you think this. The Chargers will be passing plenty and it has nothing to do with whether LT is healthy or not. The NFL is becoming a pass first league and teams with good QBs will pass early and often. Rivers is turning into a great QB so the Chargers should have a great passing attack hopefully complemented by a strong running game. Also, it's important to remember Vincent Jackson is in a contract year.

I agree that you can't keep only 3 RBs on your roster when one of them is a handcuff. I would drop Crabtree and pick up the best available RB immediately.

8. vt_dolfan

Thanks for the input guys...really appreciate it. Im dropping Crabtree to get Michael Bush...but I wanted to run something else by you.

Ive handcuffed AD...but someone snuck Ricky out from under me two picks before I was gonna take him late in the draft...

Im not gonna mention the reason why ... its good to handcuff my other starting RB...dont want an accidental jinx....but...in the above scenario...wouldnt Patrick Cobb be a halfway decent pickup as well....Ricky cant carry it 20 plus a game...and Cobb seems to be a decent threat running as well as catching...

9. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    I would rwally be concerned with lack of WR production IMO.
    If you can pick up Bush, I would be all over that transaction.

10. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    From 05-07 San Diego was one of the most run heavy teams in the league. Last year LT gets hurt with a bunch of assorted nagging injuries and has a defense that couldnt get off the field causing them to play from behind more then usual and lose the time of possession battles they had been winning in previous years. Now LT is healthy, Merriman and English will help that pass rush. Normally contract year is an automatic go for me in picking fantasy players but with Jackson his situation dictates otherwise. Rivers is an excellent QB but theres a huge difference between real life and fantasy. If you read my opinion on Rivers in other threads I felt his stats would dip as well for the same reason i felt Jackson's would dip. That team is best when they make the run a priority and based on everything I have read/heard thats the direction I feel they will go towards.

11. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I wouldnt bother with Cobbs. If anything happened to Ronnie I think it would be a committee approach with RW, cobbs, and Lex. Its an impossible situation to handcuff imo and for that reason I didnt bother handcuffing Brown in any of the 3 leagues I ended up with him. :wink2:

12. vt_dolfan

I believe Wes Welker and Lav Coles will end up with very solid...upper middles fantasy stats this year....Welker had a very solid year last year,,and that was with Castle...Brady is back..and Brady looks for him quite a bit in the redzone as well....hes been a very consistant...100 rec and yds WR...

Coles will benefit with alot of the focus on Ocho...as will Chris Henry. I think Chris has really matured...

13. vmarcilfan75

vmarcilfan75 blah...blah...blah... Club Member

Dec 13, 2007
    City Of Angels
    definately not Blessed but wouldnt say doomed either

its an ok team. Not liking your WR group. Going with Rodgers(who i like) in the 2nd screwed your draft IMO

You said the Top 3 WRs were gone...i assume its Fritz/A.Johnson/Moss leaving you with Calvin Johnson/White/Jennings/Smith to pick from.

i rather have had with my Top 5 picks
    A. Peterson
    C.Johnson
    R.Brown
    TOP WR(houz/Welker)
    then go QB-McNabb/Rivers if available

14. vt_dolfan

Heres how the draft went from the end of round 1 through the beginning of round 3...

11- L Fitzgerald
    12- Steve Slayton
    13- R. Moss
    14- Brady
    15- A Johnson
    16- Steve Smith
    17- B Westbrook
    18- G Jennings
    19- R Wayne
    20- Calvin Johnson
    21- Drew Bress
    22- Roddy White
    23- Peyton Manning
    24- Aaron Rogers Last of Round two...Best of the top tier QB's left..IMO
    25- Ronnie Brown First of Round Three...Good value pick...and..its Ronnie to boot!!!

So...of the WR's left..I could have gone M. Colston, A. Boldin, TJ House, T Owens, D Bowe, Chad 8, R Williams....

None of those has projections above either Wes Welker, or Vincent Jackson...

Wes Welker - 1170 yds 7 TDS
    A Boldin - 1161 yds 9 TDS
    V Jackson - 1158 yds 8 TDS

The site I use alot is Football Diehards....

Where my thinking..and Im not saying I am right by any stretch...is with those WR's off the board....and getting the next two picks back to back...the WR's left fell into a group where there was not much seperation....but Rogers...(whom had 23 Tds and 0 Ints in the Red Zone last season)...is about to become the top 1 or 2 QB in the league this season, in my opinion of course.

The other gamble I took...obviously..is with all of the WR's gone..I could still have taken another RB here....I didnt expect such a huge run on WR's in the second...and my plan was to go #1 WR @ 24 and Ronnie at 25.