1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Borland Shock Retirement/Trade Koa Misi

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Phoenician Fan, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Phoenician Fan

Phoenician Fan Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Chris Borland just retired because of concussion concerns.

I have always thought that Koa Misi's best position would be as a thumper in a base 3-4 defense. I think the 49ers would be very interested.

Rishard Matthews asked to be traded. Matthews was Kaepernick's #1 at Nevada. They added Tory Smith but Boldin is ancient and Ellington is a slot.

What do you think the value of these two players may have to the now, desperate, 49ers?

If we move Misi, who replaces him at MLB??

Da 'Fins likes this.
  2. Phoenician Fan

Mar 21, 2013
  3. Phoenician Fan

Mar 21, 2013
  4. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    And who replaces Koa Misi? We don't need more holes.

xphinfanx and SICK like this.
  5. Phoenician Fan

Mar 21, 2013
    That was actually one of the questions posted.

I actually like Misi very much, but I do agree with some others who say he isn't a true 4-3 MLB. Like I said, I see his best role as playing a thumper in a 3-4; ya know a 2 down LB. I think he would be great next to Navarro Bowman.

We still have Jelani Jenkins,Dion Jordan,Chris McCain,Jordan Tripp,Kelvin Shepherd,the engmatic Jake Knott and obviously there will be a draft pick.

And I wouldn't diminish the Rishard Matthews aspect in this idea. I watched most of the Nevada games the last two years Kap was there because he was my favorite college player. He and Matthews had legitimate chemistry; much more than Kap has found with any 49er receiver yet.

6. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    According to Matthews, he did NOT ask to be traded. Can this incorrect narrative please die already?

rafael, Rocky Raccoon and xphinfanx like this.
  7. muskrat21

muskrat21 Well-Known Member

May 11, 2014

SUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! he fixed all the other holes on the team, what's one more gunna hurt?

8. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    For a while it looked like Miami was going to pick up a linebacker like David Harris. That would have necessitated a trade, IMO. That didn't end up happening so now I don't think you can afford to just trade Misi away.

After the draft if they pick up a guy they want to play immediately, then we can talk. But right now they're going the opposite direction in terms of trading away linebacker assets. They want to pick up a linebacker but the pickings are slim.

xphinfanx likes this.
  9. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Misi is/was scheduled to move back to the outside this year. So we are already looking to add a MLB via the draft or FA, so why would we then trade a backer, whose replacement on the roster is likely Dion Jordan? If we have someone behind him who can be effective then so be it, but we don't. There is no rationale for this move IMO, we have too much to fill now, don't add another headache just to say you did something.

10. Deerless Dice

Deerless Dice Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Not to mention Miami carried 8 LBs last year and have moved on from 4 (Ellerbe, Wheeler, Freeny, and Trusnick) already. You can say some of those guys were dead weight, and you wouldn't be wrong. But Miami needs bodies for this unit and trading Misi would make it just that much harder to do so.

11. Phoenician Fan

Mar 21, 2013
    So everybody likes to talk about how much young talent we have at LB with McCain,Tripp,Jenkins, and especially if Jordan gets moved to OLB permanently.....but nobody thinks these guys should actually play many snaps; is that it??

gunn34 likes this.
  12. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I think most of us would love to see the young guys get a shot at playing a bunch of snaps...but people have some questions about whether or not McCain/Tripp can take the next step.

13. Phoenician Fan

Mar 21, 2013
    So Dion Jordan and Chris McCain are worthless and will never start. They are just backups forever with no real potential or upside.

14. Phoenician Fan

Mar 21, 2013
    "the pickings are slim" Isn't that when our trade piece gets us draft pick compensation better than usual.

15. Mcduffie81

Mcduffie81 Wildcat Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Lake Worth, Fl.
    Lol one dude said "He used his instincts."

They'll grab Spikes off the FA list.

16. Fin4Ever

Fin4Ever Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    I would not mind trading Misi to get back our 3rd round pick,then pick up Spikes to play middle on 1st & 2nd down,bring Tripp in at MLB on 3rd down,draft a true #1 WR in 1st round and pick up Anthony for future MLB in round 2

17. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    It would be all about the compensation we get in return for the players....a day 1 pick, unrealistic, but would go a long way to replace what is given, day 2 would be expected. But day 3, no thanks. If a player plus a pick were returned, then it depends on the player first and foremost.

* what's interesting is that SF is the team we alternate with from pick standpoint per round.

18. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    You might see Jordan at LB, but it appears Coyle is intent on keeping him at DE. So while you want to include him in your LB scenario, it is a little difficult to do that when the coaching staff appears to have other plans for him.

I thought McCain showed flashes of being a solid prospect last year but it appears the coaching staff had concerns which prohibited him from getting much playing time as the season went along.

At this time the only two LB's on the team which has experience as starting LB's in the NFL are Misi and Jenkins. To me, Misi is not a MLB and the 49ers would be stupid to try and trade for him if they intend to play him at the MLB position.

I have never been a big Misi fan because he seems to always be injured. But right now with the lack of players at the LB position on the roster and with huge question marks concerning the younger LB's on the roster, it just doesn't make any sense to trade Misi at this time.

19. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Koa Misi for a third-round pick LOLOLOL.

20. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Everyone says things like this, until the team starts losing, and everyone starts saying "well we just need to upgrade X and Y".

The reality is that the odds of either Jordan or McCain becoming successful starting LBs isn't very good. Relying on them most likely will result in being disappointed.

21. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I don't think early retirement is going to be much of a shock anymore, but a growing trend...

22. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Miami had been thinking of taking a middle linebacker like David Harris in free agency but that didn't work out and now there aren't many guys left that are interesting. So at this point there's no reason to trade Misi. They're on the opposite end at the moment, looking to acquire an extra linebacker, by trade if they have to.

If they end up taking Eric Kendricks then that's a different story.

But until then I think we can safely shelve talks of trading Koa Misi.

23. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    No, it was just that we disagreed with your original idea, the two are not linked in anyway other than the one your trying to create.

resnor likes this.
  24. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    That's what everyone was saying about Jenkins this time last year too.

This.

25. muskrat21

muskrat21 Well-Known Member

May 11, 2014
    they are going to draft eric kendricks or whatever his name is, it's kinda obvious... they haven't done anything but cut linebackers this offseason. sure they did the same with WR but they made a move to "fill a spot" as well. 1st round kendricks 2nd wr or cb 4th ol 5th onward who knows.

26. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Not a bad idea by any means. Just like many have said depends on the draft. If we land a player like Kendricks in round 1 then I'd try and make a draft night trade with the 49ers.

But, do NOT think we are in position to trade Misi at this stage in off season as there aren't too many ones available to replace him with.

Even despite his inconsistent play, I do feel if we had to go with him at MLB one more year the additions up front will really help him.

In regards to him playing SLB, I really hope to see McCain or Jordan get a shot.

Matthews needs to stay, he could have a valuable role this year with less people infront of him. Always thought he was a better talent than Hartline just never understood why he hasn't gotten a true chance, he performed in 2013 late in the year.

27. Itsdahumidity

Itsdahumidity X gonna take it from ya

Dec 10, 2007
    imo we'll draft two LBs so we need to trade misi before the start of the season. Based on his history it's safe to say he'll miss more games. Plus, he's still J.A.G.

28. Killer Carlson

Killer Carlson New Member

May 21, 2014
    I read that they met with Stephone Anthony from Clemson. He's real impressive, a complete physical freak that can play at the next level. Hope he falls to the second. If he doesn't, I wouldn't be surprised if they moved up to get him. Mike T has a reputation of doing that.