1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bowden Done???

Discussion in 'College Sports' started by Motion, Oct 5, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Looks like Bowden may be forced out after this season.

http://www.tallahassee.com/article/20091004/FSU03/91004034

I'll be sad to see him go. :sad:

2. Jaydog57

Jaydog57 Canes/Fins/Magic fan

Jun 25, 2008
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Reminds me of one of those hit tv shows that's top rated for years, but they never end the series with dignity. They keep going with it until it gets cancelled.

3. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Dag Gumint

4. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    JoPa hopes so...

5. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    It is always hard to tell a legend that his time has come and gone and that he needs to leave. Bobby Bowden built that program from the ground up. Florida State and Bobby Bowden will alway be synonimous with one another. However, I feel the time to replace him has long since passed by. This is what happens when you have a legend that has done so much for the university though. We went through this at Mississippi State in baseball with Ron Polk. Penn State will eventually go through it with Joe Paterno. Indiana had to do it with Bobby Knight.

When Florida State hired Jimbo Fisher to be their offensive coordinator, it was with the understanding that he would be in line to replace Bobby when that time came. I always wondered if they would follow through with it. Well, it looks like they are going to, because they are talking about giving him a contract much like the one Will Muschamp got with Texas and Joker Phillips with Kentucky that makes him the head coach when Bobby does step down. I believe Oregon did this with Chip Kelly this past year.

My question to the FSU fans is this. Are they selling themselves short by going with Jimbo Fisher without conducting a nation wide search?

This is Florida State we are talking about. A tradition rich program. I would think that they could get a number of established head coaches who would love to inherit that program. That could be a catch 22 though. The tradition at FSU will put a lot of pressure on anyone that takes that job. Kentucky in basketball went through this recently.

On the other hand, I do like seeing the fresh influx of new coaching talent, whether it is the NFL, NCAA, MLB, or NBA.