1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bowles and McCoy believed to be 2 Finalists

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by CallMeDaddy, Jan 17, 2012.

1. CallMeDaddy

CallMeDaddy New Member

Dec 27, 2011
    Via Sean Smith:

finsbuck719 likes this.
  2. Pro-X

Pro-X End Game Club Member

Dec 5, 2007
  3. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Hmm, Bowles, or MCoy?

Tough call, I like Bowles tbh, wanted Zimmer or Toub, so for me, just let the best guy win.

I've heard Philbin and McCoy are going up to NYC to chat with Ross.

4. AdamC13

AdamC13 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    Philbin all the way!

Wulf and PhinsRDbest like this.
  5. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Well, if those are the 2 or 3 finalists, I'll take Todd Bowles. He's obviously familiar with the team, and I'm guessing that continuity, at least on the defensive side of the ball, is a plus for him. Obviously he got 2 wins as the interim, and the Dolphins took the Patriots to the limit, in Foxboro, in that game, which is another plus if you ask me.

That said, if I were Jeff Ireland and Stephen Ross, I'd still be willing to wait out the playoffs and interview Chuck Pagano and Vic Fangio unless Bowles, or either of the other guys, completely blows you out of the water in the second go-around.

6. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Really?

Why?

7. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    So the big coaching search and it's Bowles? Well that's actually what I'd expect out of Ross. Par for the course safe choice as usual for the phins.

8. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Philbin is also a finalist

9. CANEPHINS

CANEPHINS No Tats & Dreads Allowed

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Sean Smith posted a tweet without saying "Lol".

Pigs are flying somewhere.

Zod and finsbuck719 like this.
  10. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    One thing about Bowles is his competence, that dude can analyze players and plays from across the field and diagnose what is wrong and where they screwed up, I really like that about him.

He caught flak for kicking the ball to the pats with a 1:40 to go, if the D had performed, it was a good move.

11. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I honestly think at this point it's Bowles, they will say he deserves a shot when in reality he doesn't. He's been on this team for a while while we sucked. Inconsistent play from everyone. So lets pretend he's the savior!

Sorry but Hes a guy who Ross and Ireland already have control over. Thats whats it's about. He will do what they want! Oh but now our defensive coordinator is gone, and now you have to fill that role with no real defensive coaches available. Geez were going to get better. Ross is a freaking *** clown... If hes the pick than were DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What are his credentials? Seriously?

12. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    I'm trying to see if recently there has been an interim coach who was retained and had the interim label taken off and has been successful. So far I have:
    Dallas:Jason Garrett (13-11 record, still coaching, no playoffs, TBD)
    Oakland:Tom Cable (17-27 record, Fail)
    Minnesota:Leslie Frasier(6-16 record, still coaching, no playoffs, TBD but not looking good)
    San Fran:Mike Singletary(18-22 rocord, Fail)
    Kansas City:Romeo Crennel(2-1 record, TBD)

In fact it looks like the last successful HC to be a retained interim HC was Jeff Fisher with the Titans.

Probably meaningless, but I was curious of the track record.

13. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    The Dolphins better hurry up if they want McCoy. If the Colts go after him (or Philbin), we're done for with him.

Unless he's clinically insane to leave Andrew Luck and/or Peyton Manning for this little mess.

14. Dorfdad

Dec 9, 2007
    I think Ross wants to wait these guys out so he can fall back and say we tried.. Hes so messed up and indecisive. Hes lost out on his first 2-3 choices and now is in scramble mode and will select suck.. Mccoy and Bowles both suck... They have proven nothing as coordinators.

PhinsRDbest likes this.
  15. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    [​IMG]

ToddsPhins likes this.
  16. Dorfdad

Dec 9, 2007
    Love the gif but seriously tell us what he's done to deserve a head coaching gig?? He's not won a Super Bowl as an offensive or defensive coordinator. He's not even been successful here with the dolphins. He took over and went basically 500 so now we should appoi t him the new coach for 3-5 years so Ross and Ireland can feel good about screwing up this whole thing two years Ina row???

gunn34 likes this.
  17. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    I'm amazed that the OP would believe anything Sean Smith tweets...... :shifty:

18. CallMeDaddy

CallMeDaddy New Member

Dec 27, 2011
    :lol:

19. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    While I agree Bowles is low on credentials, being a HC has nothing to do with your success as a coordinator at the end of the day. The HC position is more like the designed and the coordinators are architects. The HC crafts the blueprint using a vision and ideas while the coordinators bring the vision to life. The HC position is also about being a leader and making the people around you believe in you.

Hobiesailor likes this.
  20. hazed819

hazed819 Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    **** it lets hire Hugh Jackson! lol we are already scraping the bottom of the bowl .

21. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

That was one of the silliest posts I've ever read. What were Belichick's credentials other than coaching a defense with Lawrence Taylor?

22. hazed819

hazed819 Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Whoa dbl post how that happen...

23. CallMeDaddy

CallMeDaddy New Member

Dec 27, 2011
    I'd be ecstatic to hire Hugh Jackson.

24. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

What did Mike McCarthy ever do as a coordinator to deserve a head coaching job? How about Sean Payton? How many Super Bowls did their teams win when they were asst coaches? How about ZERO???

25. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    Reading between the lines I think that McCoy will get the HC position and they will try to get Bowles to take the DC position.

It really is a crying shame that we didn't even interview Pete Carmichael. Hell, I don't get why we didn't interview Rob Chudzinski. We freaking interviewed like 10 guys for the position, yet failed to interview the minds behind two of the greatest offenses this year. Pathetic. I won't be excited about this hire at all.

Pandarilla likes this.
  26. MrClean

Hue Jackson or Hugh Jackman?

27. MAFishFan

MAFishFan Team Tannehill

Sep 20, 2011
    Massachusetts
    for those complaining aboutthe Dolphins not getting a "high profile" coach, who do you want? there were 3 "high profile" coaches without jobs: cowher, gruden and fisher. fisher went to st louis and the other two flat out had no interest in coaching miami. what do you want the dolphins to do? you can't create something that isn't there...get over it...ross is the owner and ireland is the gm, it's not going to change..don't like it, root for another team...does it suck that no "high profile" coach wants to coach here? yes, but that's how people view miami...here's to hoping one of these 3 work out...but complaing that they are "settling" on these 3 is nuts...when the 3 "high profile" coaches want nothing to do with miami, i'm not sure what you're suppsoed to do..."don shula isn't walking though that door" get over it

jsizzle, Lt Dan, gunn34 and 1 other person like this.
  28. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    I love Jeff Ireland and Steven Ross. I don't have any problem with either of them, I am however upset that we failed to interview Pete Carmichael and/or Rob Chudzinski.

29. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    [​IMG]

Okay, so you want me to overpromise and underdeliver, check...

30. Rouk

Rouk Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Hollywood, Florida
    this is really the best we can do so were going to have Moore again with one of these 2 coaches that is honestly depressing

31. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii

That is what I call a definitive statement! Exactly what does it mean that these two are believed to be the finalist for the job, but he isn't certain if they are or not? Seems to me he is just trying to cover all the bases, so no matter what happens, he can always say I told you so.

32. JamesyEsq

JamesyEsq Active Member

Jan 10, 2012
    England
    [SIZE=-1]This is so underwhelming if true, keeping Sparano would have been the better option...[/SIZE]

33. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    According to an article in the Miami Herald this morning, Philbin is also on this list of remaining candidates. I have to agree with you that this list is certainly underwhelming. It now appears that Ross couldn't entice, Cowher, Gruden, or Fisher to take the job, so now the Dolphins are left with only individuals who have no HC experience in the NFL. Of course Bowles does have three games of experience.

I don't see the signing of any of these candidates exciting the fan base. I expect season ticket sales to continue to decrease next season, as fans wait to see if the new head coach turns out to be the next Bill Belichick or Jim Harbaugh, or the next Cam Cameron. Like you, I don't see any of these candidates being an upgrade over Sparano at this point.

It just seems that the Ross/Ireland duo don't have what it takes to entice the better head coaching candidates to want to come to Miami. I have felt all along that Ross and Ireland are the real problem with the Dolphins, I guess the next few years will show if I am right or not.

34. MrClean

Any list did not include Cowher and Gruden was going to be considered underwhelming by most fans.

35. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I certainly don't disagree with you. Unfortunately Ross basically put the pressure on himself to hire a big name coach when he fired Sparano and stated he was interested in hiring the next Shula.
    Perhaps the coach he hires end up being a great hire, but if he is trying to build excitement for next season and increase season tickets sales, based on this head coaching hire, I just don't see any of these three coaches putting more fans in the seats immediately.

I think that fans are going to take a wait and see approach and they will be unwilling to spent the money on season tickets with an unproven HC at the helm. I know I would have purchased season tickets next year if Fisher had taken the job, but I have no interest in purchasing them if one of these three are hired. I want to see what I am am buying before I go all in on a head coach who will certainly have a lot to prove.

36. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    I am not thrilled by any of these guys. If this team comes out of the gate sputtering there will be hell to pay from the fanbase.

This is completely depressing.

37. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I just was not impressed with Bowles as the HC when he had his shot. It looked like the same conservative offense to me. I know he is a defensive guy, but I was not impressed.

38. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I'm not thrilled with either Bowles or McCoy. sounds to me like there is going to be alot of disgruntled season ticket holders and fans with the way this had turned out.

39. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Maybe he's trying to *gasp* find the best available head coach? I know, I know, the theory is quite out there, but it strikes me as a possibility. And heck, maybe the finalists actually are the best available head coaching candidates, given the fact that there's little to no causation between coordinator success and HC success. Maybe, just maybe, we're finally doing things the proper way and hire someone based on his abilities as a head coach instead of his abilities as a coordinator/developer of QBs/Napoleon of college kids.

Hellion, smahtaz, gunn34 and 3 others like this.
  40. JamesyEsq

JamesyEsq Active Member

Jan 10, 2012
    England
    Bowles and McCoy are not an upgrade on Sparano, Philbin... perhaps, i would be willing to take the risk. Unless of course Gruden/Cowher are one of those who didn't want their names releasing...