1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bowles to Become KC D-Coordinator?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by GARDENHEAD, Feb 7, 2009.

1. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    John Clayton thinks so. I got no link, cause he said it on the radio last night. He said Haley, the new KC coach, is from the Parcells coaching tree and is the leading candidate for the job.

He also said that might not be the case anymore because the Cardinals just fired Pendergast.

2. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    It's been rumored for a few days now, so it wouldn't come as a shock, but unless the rule was changed I think they would still need Miami's permission since I don't think Coordinators are technically a promotion. Given this late date, and the fact that Parcells has put the kabosh on this type of thing before, it wouldn't shock me if Miami didn't let him leave.

3. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    I was just asking the Chief fans on there site now.

4. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    That would really, really suck! The way he turned around our secondary was amazing. We can't afford to take a step back after they just started to click. :(

5. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    In the short-term it might hurt, but in the long-term, it might help. If you're an up-and-coming position coach, you'll want to work for Miami (and Parcells), cause you know if you do well, you'll have a chance to get coordinator or HC interviews.

I've always been happy for our coaches who leave for bigger and better. Yes, it sucks to see them leave (Linehan hurt a lot), but that's just how it goes.

6. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I still think that losing Bowles is going to hurt us, particularly if we do not upgrade the talent we have back there. I wouldn't want to hold a guy up from progressing and certainly the fact that this is a Parcells led team will help to improve their chances... I hope to see this staff stay intact for at least a year of so more...

Agua and Fin Fan In Cali like this.
  7. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
  8. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/KentSomers/45792

There's no word yet on what steps the Cardinals are taking to replace Clancy Pendergast as defensive coordinator. From talking to people around the league, however, the Cardinals are expected to speak to Steelers linebackers coach Keith Butler.

9. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Are you sure?
    Going from coaching a position to running the entire defense sure seems like a pretty significant step up to me. Isn't the defensive coordinator the defensive positions' coach's boss?

10. Caps

Caps Movimiento Juvenil

Mar 23, 2008
    It's obviously a promotion in terms of power and salary, but as far as the league is concerned, unless you're being offered a HC position you aren't allowed to break your current contract as a position coach. Many teams will let position coaches leave if they get coordinator offers as a courtesy however.

late again likes this.
  11. Duss

Duss Season Ticket Holder

Dec 9, 2007
    I tought that Bowles Title Assistant Head Coach Defense was like the highest in the food chain after the HC and that he had authority over the DC

12. ASUFinFan

ASUFinFan Uh huh

Dec 8, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Bowles is Assistant Head Coach as well. So just moving him to DC in KC would not be a promotion.

13. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    I gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. :up:

14. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    ESPN's John Clayton calls Dallas a possible destination for fired Cardinals defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast.
    Kansas City to coordinate Todd Haley's defense would likely be Pendergast's preferred landing spot. He's rumored to be on Haley and Scott Pioli's short list. Other Chiefs candidates may include Paul Pasqualoni and Todd Bowles.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

15. ASUFinFan

ASUFinFan Uh huh

Dec 8, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I would deny any requests at this point. It is late, and we need to prepare for the draft.

16. Agua

Agua Reality: Try It!

Apr 28, 2008
    Ditto. We got farked the last time this sort of thing went down in Wanny's last offseason. Was it Chan Gailey to Georgia Southern right before the Senior Bowl? Whoever it was, we pick Joel Collier, who really didn't sound like he was up to the job, then he can't handle the stress and quits after a couple weeks, then we were stuck with whoever that recently hired TE coach from Tamp or Indy or wherever he was last fired from.

Its too late to scrounge someone up from the dregs. Admittedly, it wouldn't surprise me if Parcells could pull someone decent in.

17. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Ga Tech. Yes that was a total disaster.

At this point, if I am Parcells there is no way either of our guys get permission to even talk to KC. We don't have to allow it and nothing is to be gained from it from our pov.