1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Box Office Bombs of 2019

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by Unlucky 13, May 3, 2020.

1. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    https://geektyrant.com/news/x-men-d...ffice-bomb-of-2019-with-a-loss-of-133-million

Its crazy to think that five different movies lost over 100 million bucks in 2019. They were lead by Dark Phoenix, which lost 133m. No real shock, as I saw that coming from a mile away. After seeing every other X-Men movie up to that point in the cinema, I had zero desire to see it from the point that it was in pre-production, and its likely that lots of other people felt the same way.

I do want to see Missing Link, which was 5th on the list. I feel really bad that the studio that made it, Laika, lost so much money. They're basically the world leader in stop motion animation, and I wonder if this kills them.

2. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    After the disappointment that was Apocalypse and the fact that they are once again doing the Dark Phoenix Saga without making me care about Jean Grey AGAIN! Not only that but having the person who did The Last Stand, one of my least favorite movies from the X-Men Universe, I didn't want to see it either.

I can't believe that someone looked at what Tom Hooper was planning and didn't hit him over the head with a newspaper yelling, "NO!" There is nothing from the idea to execution that is a good idea in this movie. Even if you go with digital people like cats, why make the entire thing so drab and uninteresting and dark? Why take a musical that is a spectacle with fun dancing and not makes either the spectacle or the dancing the main highlights of the movie? Why make the cats look so creepy? Why make them so horny? Why cast people who can't sing and can't dance in a movie that is nothing but singing and dancing?

It is a movie I am happy I saw in theaters because I don't think I will ever see a movie that bad from beginning to end and that fascinating to look at, while also being very boring, ever again.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  3. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I happened to watch Missing Link yesterday. It was an enjoyable movie. I'm surprised it lost that much. I don't recall much advertising for it. I wonder where they spent all the money? I recall reading that their budget was very small, something like $6.5 mil. Makes me wonder how they reached that loss estimate.
    I had no desire to watch any of the others on the list.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  4. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I thought Dark Phoenix was OKAY....not nearly as horrible as some made it out to be, yet not good enough to ever watch all the way through again either. If I happened to catch it on HBO or something though, I might watch 10-15 minutes of it again.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  5. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I'll eventually watch it on Disney+ at some point in the future, but I wasn't going to spend money specifically to watch it.

6. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Yeah, I think I watched it on Disney+ as well. You already know the story line and it's worth looking at anyway- it's just a darker rendition of the earlier versions. I'm personally not in love with any of the newer X-Men movies though...I'd say most of them were just "okay" as well. Phoenix was just as good (or bad) as the other X-Men stuff they put out the last 5-10 years.

I'm a tough critic anyway though- I though Infinity War II was straight-up boring for 90% of the movie.

7. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I loved the first eight X-Men movies, through Days of Future Past and Deadpool. Then I had really high expectations for Apocalypse and it just fell so flat. And then while I know that the rest of the world loves Logan, I just hated it so much. Deadpool 2 was good, though not as good as the first. And I just saw a bomb coming from years away with Dark Phoenix. And given that we all knew that the series would be ending with a thud with the characters being bought by Disney, it just seemed like it wimpered out.

Unlike you, I am absolutely GLUED to the MCU movies, though. There is nothing else in entertainment history that I love more, or am more eager to watch.

Dol-Fan Dupree and KeyFin like this.
  8. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Oh, Deadpool counts as an X-Men movie? Okay, I liked both of those and I liked Logan too (and all the Wolverine movies). In fact, I think most of the solo character movies have been pretty solid (spidey, iron man, etc). The new x-men family didn't impress me as much as the Picard-led versions though. Again, it's not that they were bad....they just didn't have me on the edge of my seat. I loved infinity war and hated the 2nd one, mostly because the 2nd film was all about undoing the last 60 seconds of the first and it took them hours to do it. I would have been fine with it ending on Thanos's snap personally and say the heroes lost. To me, that doesn't kill any future movies because they all reset every 10-15 years anyway.

Captain America...I loved the 1st but lost interest quickly. The Thor movies were fun (although again, fat Thor in Infinity War II...I could cuss about for days. The same goes for "scared hulk"...don't fundamentally change my childhood heroes!). So I really enjoyed most of them up until Infinity II. Avengers movies were also great overall...the Hulk smashing Loki maybe my favorite movie scene ever!

But at the same time, I think the writing got weaker and a lot of characters were "skimmed over". Hawkeye wasn't impressive. I have no idea what Scarlett Johansen's character can even do superpower-wise. Storm should have been WAY more powerful. Some stuff like that felt like they needed support actors that didn't fit the lineup or the story they wanted to tell, so they just threw them in there anyways.

9. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I trust Marvel to do a better job with most of the X-Men characters than FOX ever did, once they get around to introducing them to the MCU. They plan everything out way, way in advance and almost always stick the landing when it comes time.

For me, its fundamentally important that the MCU is continuous and fully interconnected. The fact that its NOT reset, and the things that happened in Iron Man in 2008 or The Winter Soldier in 2014 have an effect on movies coming out next year, or five years, ten years, who knows how far.....from now.....grips me, and makes it all more important, even if I understand that its just entertainment.

If they were to lose or drop that aspect, or were they to start over, it would lose a ton of appeal to me.

KeyFin likes this.
  10. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    They will keep it up as long as the money keeps coming in. If that starts to falter because people who built connections to early characters don't feel like investing in the newer generations, then they will drop it and reboot. Personally, I like what they have done far, and think they have shown a good ability to keep things fresh with more obscure heroes like the Guardians while keeping their anchors in Iron Man, Cap and Thor.

11. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    I also feel for Laika having enjoyed their previous 3 movies. I think I liked Box Trolls the best.

12. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    At the beginning of this I wanted to rent Kubo And The Two Strings. I can only get it on Vudu and iTunes.

13. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    It's a good one. Their movies are always quality. Someone here mentioned some botched/lack of marketing, and considering I'm a huge movie watcher and hadn't heard of Missing Link, I would agree that might be pretty accurate.

14. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I, and my family, disliked Box Trolls so much that we turned it off after about half an hour, lol!