1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brad Evans of Yahoo! Sports: Thomas to have best year out of all rookie RBs

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Colmax, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Yes, this is Fantasy Football talk, but still relevant opinion concerning potential production from our rookie back. Really not much, but there's really not much out there right now. Thomas opinion starts around 3:17 mark:

Link: HERE

padre31 likes this.
  2. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    I agree.

3. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Brad Evans is a fantasy football guy. They’re all banking on Daniel Thomas being a feature back. Won’t happen.

4. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    I'm kind of feeling the same. Maybe he will be? But I honestly think Miami re-signs Ronnie OR signs a pretty good back via FA (if possible).

5. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Miami is an RBBC team, period. Daniel Thomas is basically a younger, less experienced Ronnie Brown. He’ll be partnered with someone: either free agency occurs and we sign a guy, or there’s no free agency and all free agents become RFAs, and we tender both Ronnie and Ricky.

Daniel Thomas is not going to be featured.

6. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

I point to Cleveland. Brian Daboll has no problem with giving a single back the majority of the carries. Cleveland went in as a RBBC team with Hillis, Hardesty (who got injured), and Jerome Harrison. The Texans were supposedly a RBBC team as well. Arian Foster made Ryan Moats expendable and Steve Slaton a non-factor. Admit it, you're only speculating just like everyone else at this point.

Pandarilla, MrClean and padre31 like this.
  7. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    It make sense to tender both Ricky and Ronnie if there is no free agency. Do you think there is a market out there for either of them?

I don't know that Thomas is basically a younger Ronnie. Both are pretty big, one-cut, backs, but I think the comparisons kind of stop there.

8. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    I think we inevitably go into the season as a RBBC team. You make a good point with Hillis and Foster. But if a guy is on fire in these supposed systems, I think you continue to give him the rock. RBBC? Sure, until someone breaks out.

I am interested to see who (if anyone) breaks out this year....

9. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I point to Tony Sparano.

Bill Belichick would sign Ronnie right now.

As for Ricky, depends on how much money he wants. I’m sure there are a few teams who would take him if they needed a veteran. Maybe Minnesota?

They have similar skill sets and play relatively similarly. Thomas and Ronnie both lack a top gear. Both are Wildcat RBs. Both are more physical inside runner types than speedy outside runners. Thomas may have better vision, or may develop better vision. I don’t buy the Arian Foster comparisons that have been made of Daniel Thomas. To me he’s basically Ronnie Brown with less experience at the position.

10. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    No, I don't see the Foster comparisons.

I see where you're going, but they are completely different "style" of runners. I guess that's what I meant to say.

Ronnie is a bruiser inside and out. He also can be quite nimble in space, making defenders miss with his "pitty patter" footwork. Ronnie rarely gets blown up because his pad level is usually low and he puts on the hit rather than taking the hit. Brown's body type, though similar in size as Thomas', is very different (being bulkier rather than slender).

Thomas, on the other hand, does not run like "true" back. He runs more like a wideout, very high. In college, Thomas was able to run over smaller defenders, but I do not know that this style will be as effective in the NFL, where the talent is better, faster, and bigger. You can look at his running style and tell he used to play QB; albeit, maybe more of a dual-threat type. He just does not have the low pad level running style of typical backs. I think Thomas might be a little more elusive, too.

I totally see where you're going, I think we were both just talking about different things.

Desides likes this.
  11. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Not seeing the Brown=Thomas comparison, Brown runs more like a smaller back, lots of hesitations and speed/power/speed switching, Thomas looks like he has 2 gears and not a great top gear but he is far more of a slasher then Ronnie.

DT has better hips and is more decisive a runner, young Ronnie B could lower his pads better and had a better top gear in his prime.

Pats just drafted 2 Rb's, and already had Woodhead and BJGE on the roster, Ronnie B has no room in NE.

MrClean likes this.
  12. firedan

firedan Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    palm beach county fl
    I have to believe that they think he can come in and start.With R/R getting older they need a young back.

13. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I really don't see how he's a younger Ronnie Brown. As for the Foster comparisons, I see them but I'm the one who initially made them in the draft chat so who knows.

14. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Hey Alen, who's that in your avy?

15. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Homer Smith.

Pandarilla likes this.