1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brady Quinn Signed

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by PhinFan1968, Aug 11, 2014.

1. pdaj

pdaj Well-Known Member

Not all QB injuries are season-enders. If Tannehill misses 1-3 games, Moore's capable of actually winning them. With playoff spots often being decided by a single game, every win is crucial. I'd be furious if this team missed the playoffs because it cut a capable backup to save a little coin.

Mainge likes this.
  2. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    I am aware of 72. However I am not confident in Moore to keep us afloat. We don't have the killers B's or zonk in the backfield to protect him.

3. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

When Griese broke his ankle, most people didn't expect Morrall to do what he did either.

4. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Ok, Clean. You keep comparing this team to the 72 dolphins and I am gunna have to get you admitted to the old folks home. I don't wanna do it. But I will!

Let's leave it at this. If he wasn't making a ton of money. I think he's a good backup. And I agree with Mainge if his money doesn't matter much to our cap right now then I am glad he's backing up Tannehill regardless of salary. If his 5mm is ever keeping us from being under the cap or getting a FA we need, then I believe he's replaceable.

5. MrClean

I am not comparing the quality of the 72 team to the 2014 team. Just saying, if you have a decent backup, and Moore is one of the better #2s in the league, you still have a chance. When Griese got hurt, no one expected Morrall to do what he did either.

Seems to me you and Schomlioot are saying if RT gets hurt, we may as well just tank the season. Play for the 1st overall pick I guess. I cannot stomach such a defeatist attitude.

6. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    I'd never wanna tank. Again I am not confident Moore does much to effect it.

7. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    By the way not all injuries are OUT for season... What if Tannehill needs to take a drive or 2 off, what if he's knocked out for the 4th quarter and we're up by 3 but he's good to go the next week? That's where "5 million" for a quality back up like Moore comes in.

Does Green Bay see the playoffs if they don't sign Matt Flynn after he was cut by the Raiders?

8. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    That's exactly my point. Good backups are out there for far less than 5mm; Flynn was cut and not making 5mm. And did enough to bring them to the playoffs.

Fin D likes this.
  9. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    First of all, my "attitude" has nothing to do with it.

I don't think the Fins are going to be all that great anyway, but the fact remains, regardless of who the backup is, that person will be a downgrade from RT and we don't have the running game to protect a mediocre backup.

Moore is fine but not worth what he is being paid and I imagine Quinn could provide similar results if necessary. Moore's claim to fame is taking over a winless team and chucking the ball down field to Marshall a bunch which coincided with the defenses revival led us to 6 meaningless and ultimately harmful wins in 2012.

Matt Moore gained more fans by being the nice guy on Hard Knocks than he did for his mediocre results on the field.

10. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    It sure does.

11. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Agreed. Like I said the best thing tading Moore can do is roll cap to next season because I don't see anyone out there worth his salary currently. If we can replace him with someone the staff thinks is equal or better fine.

No way we can't get 5th/6th rounder out of him at the least

12. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Nobody is trading anything more than a 7th or a conditional pick for a back up QB making $5 million bucks.

We either keep him or cut him.

Unless we're seriously considering moving on from Moore then signing Quinn (or any veteran QB) makes no sense. Why pay the 3rd QB a veteran's minimum when you can pay Lobato or some other young guy a much lower salary?

13. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    The money is irrelevant to Philbin.

Philbin is coaching for his job this season. He's not going to risk cutting/trading his best backup QB to save a little cash and set them up for the future. If they think Moore would add one more win than Lobato/Quinn this year, or even if they see him as just slightly better, then he is absolutely well worth the money to a HC on the hot seat.

14. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I don't see Moore as great fit for this offense. I think he tends to hold the ball too long and doesn't provide much of a running threat. But on the other hand there is nothing on the market that I can see that's likely to be as good. IMO we could win a game or two with Moore depending on what point in the schedule we're at. He's that gunslinger type. IMO he always gives you a puncher's chance. I'm not sure there's anybody else available who even gives you that. But that salary may be high for an insurance policy. IMO it probably depends on the opportunity cost.

15. MrClean

Didn't you say the same about Moore in Sherman's offense?

16. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Does Hickey care about that?

Or would he rather show Steven Ross that he saved him $4 million bucks and got somebody just as good?

17. MrClean

LOL.He has not done so in the past.

18. MrClean

The problem with that theory is you are mistakenly believing Quinn is just as good.

19. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I did. Moore is a limited QB in that he doesn't fit every system. He has a slow release and he tends to hold the ball so any system that emphasizes getting rid of the ball quickly will be a bad fit. Both Sherman's and Lazor's system emphasize getting rid of the ball quickly. Additionally, Lazor's system also seems to want a certain amount of QB mobility which isn't Moore's strong suit either. However, I touted the Moore signing when it happened b/c Moore was a better fit under Sparano.

20. JMHPhin

JMHPhin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    Still take Moore over Quinn

21. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Maybe not, but the last time Moore played well was 3 years and 3 offenses ago.

His only game played last year he had 2 INTS and a 27 rating. We've yet to see him in this offense in any type of game setting.

So the last time he played, in a game that would have made the difference between making the playoffs or not, which is your big concern, he absolutely sucked. And for that we paid him $5 million bucks

22. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    Tempest in a teapot. Who cares who our backup QB is? As has been said already, if Tanny goes down for more than a couple games, our season is over.

23. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I think he's overpaid but don't discount the value of a quality backup. Cutler/McCown. Sure they missed the playoffs but they were in the thick of it due to a decent showing by McCown. The backups are there to tread water. Sometimes they surprise you.

24. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii

The Dolphins are now the 7th NFL team to sign Quinn. He has been terrible at the other six and that is why he was working for FOX Sports and was not on an NFL roster.

I too was unhappy when the Dolphins passed on Quinn and took Ginn instead. But as bad as Cameron was as an NFL head coach, in hindsight, he was right in taking Ginn over Quinn. Ginn has never been more than a very average player in the NFL, but that is still far above what Quinn has been as an NFL QB.

I agree this team will only go as far as Tannehill takes it. I just don't see Quinn being able to overtake Moore as the #2 QB on this team. In fact, I will be completely blown away if Quinn is still on the roster once the regular season begins.

I think the only football he will be involved with once the football season begins, is as a college football commentator for FOX Sports.

25. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii

At least Moore has shown in the past that he can be a productive QB in the NFL. That is far more than Quinn has ever shown during his playing career with six different teams.

Personally I don't think the Dolphins are good enough to have a winning season, even with Tannehill as the starting QB. Of course if the goal of the Dolphins this year is to have the first pick in the draft in 2015, please keep Quinn as the backup in case Tannehill is injured. That would basically guarantee that the Dolphins will get the top pick in next years draft.

I too don't believe Moore is worth $5 million as a backup, but I also don't think Quinn is worth 2 cents as an NFL QB. If the Dolphins cut or trade Moore and keep Quinn, they are basically saying that they are going into the season with only one true NFL caliber QB on their roster.

26. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    The question is whether Moore is worth $4.5 million in cap space that could be carried over into next year, when we need the room versus what some other backup QB (in this case Quinn) could provide at the veteran minimum.

That's really the only calculus.

Is Moore so much better than Quinn that he's worth not being able to carry over that cap room? And remember, we're talking about a player that you have no intention of ever putting on the field unless disaster strikes.

And again, we saw Matt Moore come into a game last year in the exact scenario so many here are worried about, that being needing to win to get to the playoffs and he was atrocious.

jdang307 likes this.
  27. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I agree that Moore didn't look good when he came in against the Bills last year, but he certainly didn't look any worse against the Bills than Tannehill did. The fact is that the Bills defense completely overwhelmed the Dolphins offense last year and both Tannehill and Moore played badly against them.

As I stated earlier and I have stated numerous times on this forum. I don't think this Dolphin team is a legitimate playoff team this coming season and in fact I think they are probably at least two years away from being a legitimate playoff contender.

Therefore I think Moore would be better off if he was the backup for a team which has a legitimate chance of making the playoffs. I think he would be signed very quickly if he were cut by the Dolphins, but I don't see any team trading for him because they would also have to pick up his contract.

I think Quinn is a terrible NFL QB, but I don't see anything but terrible QB's available in free agency at this time. So if it was not the terrible Quinn signed by the Dolphins, it would have been some other QB who should be working in another occupation.

If Moore were cut, which I seriously doubt. I suspect that the backup QB this year will probably end up being a QB who is now on the roster of another team and will be cut prior to the regular season beginning. Of course I don't expect Moore to be cut, so it likely will be Tannehill and Moore as the QB's. It won't surprise me in the least if they are the only QB's on the 53 man roster when the regular season begins.

28. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Ya know, QB's can get hurt late in the season too.

All this "we would be average with Moore" talk is comical considering everybody gets that is true, you don't keep a backup because he can save your season if you lose your #1 early....you want him if your #1 has too miss a game or two in let's say December or worst you make the playoffs and RT can't go that particular week? Then you have a guy that gives you a shot too hold serve until he comes back.

Moore has great intangibles and is a very capable backup, he's an asset.

JMHPhin likes this.
  29. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Guess you missed the Buffalo gane where Moore was asked to come in under your exact scenario and he failed miserably

30. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    We were already getting beat down when Moore came into that game and our offensive line couldn't block anyone that day. Bad game, yes, but hardly a final answer of what Moore is capable of.

Fin-Omenal and Sceeto like this.
  31. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Do I need too interpret "capable" to you?? I'll give you a hint, it does not mean automatic.