1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brady's great, but imagine vintage Marino and today's rules

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by fins1, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Itsdahumidity

Itsdahumidity X gonna take it from ya

Dec 10, 2007
    Unfortunately, this hard truth is lost on some Phin fans as well. Thanks for the link fins1.

2. SCall13

SCall13 ThePhins QB

No doubt. Marino would put up some mind-boggling numbers with the way rules are in the NFL these days.

3. phinfan3411

phinfan3411 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Could not have said it better myself, I have watched football for a long time, and I believe Marino to be the most dominant player at the toughest position in all of sports.
    I'm glad someone brought up(other than me to my friends) that QB's play with different rules today, and nobody found it funny that after they changed that rule in 2004, all of a sudden a record that had stood for 20 years has been broken twice in three years????
    Must be just a coincidence huh, Marino haters????

Coral Reefer and FINintheMOON like this.
  4. sabanhater

sabanhater New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Marino will never lose his place in history.

5. lbmclean_sj

lbmclean_sj New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    what if Dwight Stephenson had stayed healthy and Dan hadn't torn his Achilles?

his records would have been truly untouchable

6. dolphindebby

dolphindebby Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    IMO, no one will ever touch Marino. He was the best!

7. smokyfin

smokyfin New Member

Jan 3, 2008
    And he could have had MANY more TDs that season if they had let him pass near the goal line. Instead they seemingly always handed off to Pete Johnson or Woody Bennett down near the goal.

It seems like half of Manning's TD passes last year were from inside the five.

8. smokyfin

smokyfin New Member

Jan 3, 2008
    And if Shula had stayed and JJ didn't come in and ruin the offense.

Too bad we couldn't have kept Fryar, KJ and Byars for a few more seasons. They continued to productive for several seasons after leaving Miami and of course KJ became a favorite target of Favre's during their SB years.

9. tay0365

tay0365 New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    That's the truth. :unsure:

10. Pariah

Pariah Revolutionary

Nov 27, 2007
    Little Rhody
  11. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    Wow, I can't believe that the Dolphin hating Jeffri Chadiha ranked Marino #1. Good find, Dan will always be revered in Dolphin history.

12. juniorseau55

juniorseau55 New Member

Jan 3, 2008
    Florida
    To mention this, he did it with less talent than Tom Brady.

13. andyahs

andyahs New Member

Dec 9, 2007
  14. Whitedolphin54

Whitedolphin54 From the land of legends Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    Somerset UK
    That is great news, and only what I have ever believed anyway.

You watch games nowadays and see how average QB's commandeer their teams, and take them down the field in very few plays, and with great ease too. I remember how hard Dan had to work, even with great recievers Like the Mark's bros and Nat Moore. I know you could make an excuse for no running game, but we had an excellent O line for a lot of the time. The biggest factor for me, is the change in the rules. How many of our "third and tens" would have been converted to "third and goal " under the newer rules.

Another thing to take into consideration is how good some of the modern day CB's and LB's are, as back in the 80's, defenses dominated due to some of the old rules.

15. Whitedolphin54

Whitedolphin54 From the land of legends Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    Somerset UK
    I don't know if I would have said that Duper, Clayton, Moore, Johnson, Rose, Hardy, Nathan and Jensen were less talented. Maybe Dan made them look better than they were, but they certainly had some talent.

16. New Era

New Era Waterboy

Nov 28, 2007
  17. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Imagine Danny with a real runningback, imagine Danny with a big stud wide receiver, imagine Danny with a great tight end, imagine Danny with a real defense.....he never played with any that really fit the script

18. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    Well I think he meant a less talented team all the way around.

Yeah, he had weapons at the wideouts. I don't know if the TE's were as good as your implying but they were decent. Biggest difference is that we never were able to produce any kind of a running attack (Tony Nathan wasn't anywhere near an elite back) AND he never had a defense to protect any leads.

How many times did you see games where we scored 4,5, even 6 TD's that we lost.
    sad really.

19. FinsNCanes

FinsNCanes New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    I could only imagine what Marino could do in today's era where you can't even cough on an WR. It's pretty pathetic actually as is some of the roughing the passer calls..

"Omgz! His finger tapped my facemask!"

20. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    I think this hits it on the head also. Peyton had a ton of TD's inside the five, and so had Brady. I'd like to see a comparison between the 3 and see how many were of the short variety.