1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brandon Lafell this years Heyward-Bey?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by #1dolphinsfan, Jan 30, 2010.

1. #1dolphinsfan

#1dolphinsfan New Member

Nov 23, 2007
    they seem kind of similar IMO both tall fast WRs not great route Runners with questionable Hands. i know Lafell isnt as hyped up as Bey was last year but i see a lot of similarities in there game. they have similar body build tall and skiny Bey 6'2 210 pounds Lafell 6'3 206 pounds. if he is anything like Heyward Bey i want no part of him in miami i really dont want him in miami anyways

thoughts?

2. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    The hype is the big difference. Heyward-Bey had no business being a first round pick and neither does Lafell, but HB was the first WR taken. I don't expect Lafell to go in the first. I only see Bryant and Tate as first rounders this year. Somebody might reach for Benn, but he's exactly that, a reach in the first.

3. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Oh, I could see him going first round......to the Raiduhs...
    Can you imagine the offensive firepower with Russell throwing the rock to HB and Lafell and McFadden killing defenses with the run :shifty:

4. Lab3003

Lab3003 Golden era

Nov 23, 2007
    Bal Harbour, FL
    If I was Brandon Lafell I'd be pissed if anyone compared me to DHB. I'm not sure that's a fair comparison. DHB is a glorified track star that wears a uniform to earn a paycheck. Lafell isn't THAT bad.

Stitches likes this.
  5. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Ive trashed LaFell all year but I just watched a couple of games of his that I put off until the season was over and I'm liking him a bit more. I think Stitches liked him alot. Him and Benn were hurt by their QBs and he could be a 2nd round steal. He could also bust big time. Its really hard to gauge due to the QB situation

6. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    They are not similar at all IMO.

Stitches likes this.
  7. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

For what it's worth , Corey Chauvos is very high on LaFell.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  8. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Yea, I'm not saying LaFell is great (I think he has all the tools to be great). I think the 2nd round would be good value for him (especially where we pick). But it is downright criminal to compare LaFell to DHB IMO (at least as far as evaluation goes).

9. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    good job Stitches :theman: I have come around to thinking he may be very good value in the 2nd as well. Bit too much uncertainty for the 1st. He does have 1st round talent (physically) though. He wasnt as consistent as I would like but that may be due to playing with a poor QB. I think you tend to slack a bit when you have a bad QB and even though you should hustle every play, human nature being what it is, a bad QB can cause you to lose focus and desire

10. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I can agree with that, when I see Lefell I see Dwayne Bowe, a large, talented Wr who drops to many passes but is just a beast of a player.

#43 would be a bit to high for him though, I'd wonder if Demaryious Thomas in the 3rd rd would be a better value than Lefell at #43.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  11. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    D Thomas has the playmaker talent also. I would guess that LaFell is more polished in that the routes Thomas ran were pretty simplified. LaFell should be a rd higher, based on that polish, than Thomas but both have very high ceilings

12. High Definition

High Definition No Smoke / No Drink 2011+

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    Michael Clayton strikes the bell a bit more.

13. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    LaFell is far from perfect, but if he turns out to be Dwayne Bowe II, you could do a hell of a lot worse with a 2nd rounder, particularly considering how 2nd round WRs tend to bust.

I think our current and eventual goal is to grab a defensive playmaker in the 1st, then come back in the 2nd and snag LaFell. Inconsistent as he is, LaFell would qualify as an instant upgrade at the position.

The Heyward-Bey comparison is just silly. LaFell is not the best receiver in the draft, but he's not trash.

Speedy and adamprez2003 like this.
  14. Speedy

Speedy Dolfan forever! :-)

Jan 12, 2010
    Germany
    I hope so. I like LaFell a lot and it would be perfect to get McClain in the first and him in the second round.

Agreed. IMO you can't really compare these two players. Doesn't LaFell have much better hands?
    DHB was the first WR last year, because the Raiders love speed. That's why I think they'll draft Tebow this year (they need a QB).