1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brandon Marshall predicts his best season yet

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by LandShark13, Jun 26, 2010.

1. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    Brandon Marshall predicts his best season yet

Full Story

2. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Get'em Marshall!

Show that Revis punk that maybe it was just easier to go against everyone else on the Jets rather than he's the best CB in history of the game.

3. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, the last workout was weeks ago, now BMarsh is in the long period of time between OTA's and Training Camp, so far he has kept himself off the front page and on the community service effort with a free football camp for area youth.

So far I like him, he is a jokester and loves to laugh in his interviews.

DOLPHAN1, dolfan7171 and LandShark13 like this.
  4. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    "Best season yet" is quite ambitious since we're probably going to use Marshall as a decoy to help the running game. For him to turn in his best season, he'd need to post more than 1,325 yards, more than 104 receptions, more than 10 TDs, a YPC greater than 15.5, and he needs to start all 16 games.

I don't think he's going to do all that. He'll be lucky to get 80 catches, will probably break the 1000 yard mark, will land around 8 TDs, and have a YPC of around 13... if all goes well. Just can't see a receiver under this head coach and offensive coordinator getting anywhere near 100 catches.

PS17 likes this.
  5. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Don't forget 100 pancake blocks and 50 decleaters:shifty:

anlgp likes this.
  6. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Does that come before or after "12 partridges in the pear tree"?

Fellas, we've been down this road many times, you just cannot predict a player's stats in late June, Marshall was being optimistic that he would have a great season.

I do think BMarsh is going through a learning curve though as he mentioned his fellow Wr best attribute is "intelligence" and knowing where to be on the field.

Which means the sorts of timing and touch patterns Henning prefers are not something BMarsh is quite used to executing.

I just hope we finally get off to a winning start, the 0-3 and 1-2 starts sucketh.

DOLPHAN1, dolfan7171 and MikeHoncho like this.
  7. PS17

PS17 NYJ 2010!!!

Jun 20, 2009
    NYC
    Exactly. This is where I think Marshall's 100-catch a year streak ends. The Dolphins offense is just too run-oriented.

However, Marshall should do wonders for the running game as he'll be a great decoy. Teams will finally have to respect the Dolphins' passing game now that they have a legit threat.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Plus, he's a tremendous blocker. Huge improvemant over Ted Ginn Jr.

9. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Like padre, I think Marshall is just being optimistic. In fact he didn't really "predict" anything. He actually said "I'm not making a prediction".....
    On the other hand, in spite of our philosophy of leaning heavily on the run, I would hope that Sparano is smart enough to go with what works. So if our passing game starts looking really strong, I would think we would see more passing this year.
    They talk about chunk yardage. Well the best way to get that chunk yardage is through the air. So again if the passing game is elevated by the addition of Brandon Marshall, the increased experience of Henne and Hartline, as well as the improved health of Camarillo, they may air it out more this year.
    Furthermore...I really don't believe that we gave up two 2nd round picks and a boat load of money for a decoy. When you have thoroughbreds, you race them.

10. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    The blocking was what tipped you?

j/k :D

11. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    If he ends up with 85 catches and 16 TD 's, then that arguably can be called his best year. If our RBs stay healthy and we have that dual threat on offense (and Henne improves) that's still possible

late again and dolfan7171 like this.
  12. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami

If we make a nice run in the playoffs and hes a part of it it will be his best season. :up:

late again likes this.
  13. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Funny thing, I went back and looked at the 07 Giants team and you'd be surprised at how similar the 2010 Dolphins are to that 07 team, especially on Offense.

Eli Manning was in his third season as a starter, Henne is moving into his third season, they had Jacobs and Bradshaw, we have Ronnie and Ricky, they added Plexico Burress we added Brandon Marshall.

Gmen had Shockey though.

There Cb's were 33 yr old Sam Madison and 25yr old Kevin Ross

Sorta interesting to make the comparisons:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyg/2007.htm

Major Difference is they had Strahan, Tuck, Umenyiora and Fred Robbins when he was healthy.

14. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Unfortunately, yes. Though I'd love to see the passing game open up. Rushing is a nice diversion and can help you out at times, but ultimately games are won with efficient passing. The best player on the team in 2010 needs to be Chad Henne, not Ronnie Brown or Ricky Williams.

The question is whether we'll game plan to get Marshall the ball, or whether the team will be opportunistic and just let him get double teamed while throwing to a single-covered Bess all the time.

15. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Running the ball is a "nice diversion"?

Someone may be in for a disappointment this season..:D

Des, Bess is the Slot Wr, Base 3 Wr sets are rare for Henning, if anyone it will be Hartline or Camarillo who will have plenty of opportunities..or Fasano or Haynos.

djphinfan likes this.
  16. Phinvader Bill

Phinvader Bill The all new Mr. Event

May 1, 2009
    Columbia, SC
    Yeah. We'll be blowing teams out. :up:

17. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    That's the same comparison I've been harping on/hoping since the draft. We have put a lot of those pieces into place. If (big IF) everything goes well and we stay healthy, we could very well resemble those Giants.
    But we would need Fasano to bounce back to his 2008 form.

padre31 likes this.
  18. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    In terms of correlation to wins, yes, running the ball isn't very important. Teams that pass efficiently win consistently. There is no similar correlation to victory when running the ball; it simply doesn't have the same effect. I know the tendency is to view passing and running as equally valid methods of advancing the ball, or even to view rushing as superior, but the reality is that efficient passing is best, and rushing really doesn't do much in terms of winning. It's nice and testosterone-laden to desire a smashmouth rush-oriented offense, but I prefer the Lombardi Trophy to chest bumping.

If we're as rush heavy as anticipated, that means we'll really only look to pass on 3rd down. In that instance, you're looking at a three wide set. Marshall gets double-teamed, and the likely outcome is a checkdown to the slot and a "safe" first down pickup. That's where my comment about Bess comes from.

19. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Hmm, have you mentioned this to HC Sparano? He may have a different take than that..in fact I'm sure of it..:D

I won't rehash the old argument of "passing wins the SB", I will say that the SparanoPhins are not solely a Parcell's production Sparano is also influenced by his other Fmr Boss, Tom Coughlin, he of the 07 shut down Pastriots "all time highest scoring offense" in the SB via running the ball and playing solid defense.

Sparano's time in Jacksonville with Coughlin is "why" we have the 2001 Jags ST Coach, John Bonamego, the Giants 07 SB winning Oline Coach Degugliemo, and Coughlin's fmr DefCord, Bill Sheridan as the LB Coach.

Fans think Sparano is a Tuna Production, the fact is he is a sort of Tuna/Coughlin mixture. Recall that early in Coughlin's career in NY he was known as a hard *** in Training Camp? Sparano is kinda the same way.

Like it or no, pull out Stats, chest pound, doesn't matter, the SparanoPhins will run the ball, will control the clock and will trade offensive opportunity for avoiding turnovers..that is way it is.

Exactly, all I was saying is Greg C or Hartline will be on the field more on 1st and 2nd downs with Marshall doubled one of those Wr's will have to feast on single coverage/#2 Cb or worse covering them.

BMarsh can impose his will on a Defense, the way Sparano wants things done that won't be needed from him...until the 4th qtr or the defense allows a lead to develop.

20. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    "The coach believes differently" isn't really a counter-argument, especially since I'm not saying Sparano shares the viewpoint in the first place.

Conversely, just because Sparano apparently believes that rushing is the best way to win doesn't make it so.

21. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Sort of, I'd argue our Oline is much much better, they didn't have Big Jake or Carey.

That defense had 53 sacks that season, I look at our Defense and don't see 53 sacks, I do think Wake can hit double digits, maybe Starks can brush 10, but other than that, we have no answer for Tuck and Strahan.

What we would need is Merling to discover his inner Justin Tuck, and Odrick to do a Usi imitation, if those two can generate pressure from the Left side, Wake and Starks can handle the Right..THEN we would compare to the 07 Gmen.

The idea that has been kicking around my head is "what if' Dansby slides to DE on 3rd downs and Edds takes over the nickel ILB?

Dansby could be our AJ Duhe, he could play up or down, inside or outside, and can cover..small wonder they paid him so much.

22. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007
    I sure hope so, if he has over 1000 yrds recieving and 10+ TDs recieving then i think you can all but put us in the playoffs.

23. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    "The coach believes differently" isn't necessarily a fact either. Since the end of the season many posters here kept telling me that we didn't need/wouldn't get a #1 WR b/c of what Parcells and Sparano believed. It was the same argument that was used to explain why the Dolphins wouldn't take Jake Long #1 and why they wouldn't take a CB in the 1st last year. You would think that by now people would stop pretending they know what Sparano/Parcells/Ireland believe.

late again likes this.
  24. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Besides the fact that he'll go up and get the ball and take shots this is what I'm looking forward to the most. He's 6'4 230 and plays WR :lol:

He's going to put Darelle Revis on his ****ing ***.

:hi5:

No block, No rock.

25. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    How about the rushing offense finished #4 in the NFL with a patchworked Oline and no Ronnie Brown for most of the second half of the season?

What passing offense junkies are not 'getting" is the Offense is mostly designed to run the ball..with power, adding Brandon Marshall is not going to change things into "Air Sparano" as coupled with Nolan's system of laterals on Defense and Sparano wouldn't last the season due to health concerns..and I'm only half joking.

26. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Adding Brandon Marshall will change how we go about running the ball. I do agree that our offense will not change just because we have Marshall, but he instantly makes our offense capable of so much more - working within the scheme.

27. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    He can have his best season yet without having ridiculous numbers.

28. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Sparano spent all of last season harping on the need for "chunk yardage". The fact is that the teams that win get those plays and Sparano knows we need that.

And nobody is saying that the Dolphins will become "Air Sparano". But the fact is that Miami passed more often than they ran in 2009 despite having a QB starting his first year and few receiving weapons. The difference was actually greater in 2008 when CP was the starting QB. With Henne maturing and the addition of Marshall, I expect we'll at least get back to the 2008 split where we passed 52% of the time. And the last time that Parcells had a team in the SB his team passed nearly 60% of the time. So while this team may be designed for a power running attack, it seems likely that they will pass more often than they run. It also is obvious that they want to add more big plays. So I'm not sure it's fair to characterize the Dolphins as a running team.

29. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Which calls into question Greg Camarillo..again.

There is no comparison between the 96 Pastriots and the 90 Giants and Sparano's template is not strictly "Well Parcells did this or that" there is a huge Tom Coughlin influence as well.

As in the 07 Giants, we added two pieces from that team, added the Oline Coach, added the Lb Coach/DefCord, and added the ST coach from Coughlin's early 2000's Jaguars team as well.

And passed over fmr Parcells assistants to hire them.

30. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Does "best season yet" mean "Superbowl champ/MVP" or "individual stat king"?

31. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    If he does indeed have his best season yet, Miami's offense will be unstoppable....

32. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    I understand what your trying to say and your statement has some merit,although you should have left the word decoy out of the equation.
    Yes, he will help the running game a bunch, but there is NO WAY BM was acquired to be a decoy for it IMHO.

33. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Brandon brings so much more to this team than just his # of catches, he is a HUGE piece of the puzzle for us and I just can't wait to see us play this season. I'll take 50-50 run-vs.-pass ratio any day, running eats up the clock, Brandon opens up both the passing attack AND the running game. Not to mention our improved OL.

If Nolan comes close to doing for our defense what he did for Denver last season, we're going very deep into the playoffs. Our offense proved last season it was already good enough to win games (if our defense hadn't constantly lost them for us) without Marshall, Henne/Hartline both essentially in their first year, and Ronnie & some OL injuries to boot.

Marshall is NOT the only one in South Florida who is optimistic and I agree with his prediction. It does NOT have to be predicated on # of catches, TD's or any stats for that matter. If he is maturing and it seems he is, wins and playoffs mean more towards "best season yet" than anything else.

34. Colorado Dolfan

Colorado Dolfan ...dirty drownin' man?

I'm thinking "best season yet" may just mean "actually being in the playoffs for the first time in my career." :lol:

LandShark13 likes this.