1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brandon Marshall Training and running a sub 4.5 and 22.5pmh

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Jackson, Jun 27, 2011.

1. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I still don't understand how one can focus on one played season and come to the conclusion that a wide receiver is not worthy of his status when that status was decided based off of his previous seasons. There's a reason he's a top notch wide receiver and its not based off of one year. Its based off of the 393 receptions he's had in the last four seasons and being one of only five players in NFL history with at least 100 receptions in three straight seasons. There are very few #1 WRs in the NFL IMO and as much as I hate the WR position, Brandon Marshall is one of those #1s because of his production. Even in a supposed 'down' year, he had 86 receptions and went over the century mark.

2. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    I tried to discuss it with you, but every question/point I brought up to you was ignored. Its hard for people to debate with you when you just dont acknowledge any of their points or questions regarding your opinion... and in turn you just keep posting the same statement over and over again, regardless of how many times it is challenged.

3. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    Question... what do you think an average WR's YAC is?

4. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Well, he's actually going laterally a lot of the time he's catching the ball. The play caller (Sparano, Henning, or whomever) called so much Hi-Lo. Blows my mind how much it was called. Its a good concept but damn.

Sceeto likes this.
  5. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Yeah he ran some Hitches because of how much we ran Smash but I always felt that he mostly ran the Dig or Square in.

6. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I think you could say that about all of our WRs to be honest.

Ozzy likes this.
  7. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

TD's and YAC are mearly part of being a Wr! You keep ignoring that AND once again, Henne is a part of this, as was the offensive coordinator. How many times did we see the ball go elsewhere when the team had 1st and 10 inside the redzone?

8. Ozzy

Actually it is an easy way to try and make a player, he obviously has other issues with, look like he sucks!

9. Ozzy

Except he was more than doubled!!!! He was bracketed with defenders in front, on both sides, and behind him. Get a clue man.

10. Ozzy

Of course we know you'll dismiss this because it does not suit your argument but you do realize his YAC was EXCELLENT until he was totallly bracketed by defenders last season? In 2007 he had over 505 yards after the catch. In 2008 he had 419 yards after the catch and missed 3 games. In 2009 he had 527 yards after the catch. ALL of which are EXCELLENT and yet you still seem to think Marshall is totally to blame for his the drop in YAC once he got here? I say BS!!

11. Ozzy

No but you quickly dismiss any of Henne's faults due to him being fairly new to this. Yet it is him who throws to Marshall....

12. Ozzy

My bet it's around 3 or so...

13. Ozzy

There more too... Some of the worst screens ever executed. Wr's were almost always catching the ball with their backs to the safeties! Lots of back shoulder passes, and terribly called crossing routes. Lets not forget those insane quick outs that were called FAR TOO MUCH, and when there was a deep throw it did not connect enough.

padre31 likes this.
  14. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    God help us all if Marshall doesn't step up his game next year and prove it here. :up:

Look folks I was disappointed with his play last season and I care more about now than what happened in the past in another city.
    Also I have never used Brandon Marshall as an excuse for Henne struggling at times last season. Everyone who reads my posts here knows the tremendous amount of pressure I put on Henning and what I called his dysfunctional offense. It was really bad most of the time.
    You guys made some fine points that I'll totally take into consideration. I feel that TD's are very important since that gives you points on the board. I want our big weapon to do that. I would probably love it more than just about anyone here if Brandon breaks out next season..... reason....I give him more criticism than anyone here and I wouldn't mind eating some crow in that situation.
    That is about all I have to say about all of it for now..... We'll see what happens.

I chuckled over the maybe he doesn't understand football comment. :wink2:

djphinfan, MrClean and padre31 like this.
  15. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Restraining orders got nothing on M— oh, I see what you did there...

16. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    You've been consistent Bro, not a fan of B Marsh, you were mostly right about Porter and Taylor.

Personally I think you are offbase on Beast, to me he is one of the few players who is willing to not only be intense, but to buck Sparano and Co while so doing, I bet he and Cox have some good conversations when TC kicks off.

17. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I think this article shows that the speed training he's going through is intended to make him faster than he was when he came out. The treadmill thing shows that, plus he never ran in the 4.4's when he was coming out of college. It seemed for a while there was some "Brandon Marshall was bad and therefore Chad Henne's struggles are more understandable" sentiment that focused on the theory that Marshall had lost a significant amount of speed that he once had, like he suddenly got slow in Miami. The speed training was taken as proof of this. I'm not so sure about that. He looked about like the ~4.5 kind of guy he is in 2010. I think this speed training is intended to make him faster than ever, to give him an edge that way. If he lost any speed in 2010 relative to what he had when he was dominant in 2008 and 2009, I think it was marginal, at best...and certainly not the reason his YAC crashed through the floor.

18. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Killer...the constant use of the Wildcat inside the 30, and the settling for field goals has to say something about why Marshall's TD count dropped, does it not? Marshall had a pretty good year...there's only so much one guy can do. Did he give up a few balls? Yes. Was he a disappointment? No way.

19. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    1200 yards and 10 TD's :wink2:

Give me the TD production anytime. Numbers are great and it certainly can be fun to watch but take for instance Marino....We all know he could put up 4 or 500 yards a game and still lose. You lower his numbers from running the ball and score that way it levels your chance of winning.
    I would trade more TD's from Brandon for less yards and catches every day of the week bro.

20. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    So you are okay with Brandon Marshall being a possession WR?

21. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    You keep throwing out the term "possession WR" almost as if its a derogatory term. What exactly is your definition of a possession WR?

22. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Generically it is a wide receiver who can make a critical catch, usually on third down. The WR would be in a position to make the catch, and hang on to the ball for perhaps a key third down conversion.

This differs from a receiver utlized in a way to gain YAC, yards after catch. A guy streaking downfield, or running patterns in the open field is not a possession receiver, persay.

In short, it's a guy you toss to maintain possession and move the chains.

23. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    So, you are more describing the split end position from the flanker? It sounds like you only believe flankers can be #1 WRs?

24. Ozzy

Orande Gadsden! :)

25. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Still doesn't make sense because he was used in both ways last season.

26. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    O.J.

27. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    So where were the big plays?

28. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    All this to justify Marshall's lack of big play ability last season........ You guys are hilarious. :lol:

29. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    We're hilarious? Really?

Ask Dan Henning and Chad Henne.

Ozzy likes this.
  30. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    We are hilarious? Answer a few of my questions and then call me hilarious...

Do you feel that only flankers can be #1 WRs? Or that both flankers and split ends can be #1s?

31. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007

32. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Look kids I have a very important job so I don't have time to sit on here answering silly meaningless questions that have all been hashed over before.
    My take is that Marshall is billed as a #1 WR but if you look around the league #1's make plays. They catch balls, break tackles and score TD's. That is the crux. Marshall hasn't done that here. You can nitpick it all you want because that is what player fans do when they are giving their guy a pass which is obviously the case here but Marshall doesn't fall into that category. You would expect him to break at least one off since he is advertised as having such great skills at breaking tackles and running after the catch but nope it didn't happen. Even Marlon Moore had a long TD on a run after the catch. If you guys want to continue to worship this guy go right ahead. I have my own opinion that he hasn't been what everyone thinks or says he is.

33. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Kids?

FinNasty, ckparrothead and Stitches like this.
  34. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    This thread is about Brandon Marshall not Chad Henne. Being the troll you are you keep trying to hijack it.
    I'll bite...... So you expect Henne to catch the ball and break tackles and run for TD's. I've already said that an established WR like Marshall should be making plays since he has already done it. Remember how much you love his past hmmm? Henne is a developing QB that is yet to establish himself. He is still developing. Being the so called know it all that you are I would expect you to know the difference.

Oh yeah one more thing..... I remember telling you that the ignore feature you used on me wouldn't stay on. See I was right. Love me or hate me pal but you just can't ignore. The temptation is too challenging. :lol:

35. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    This was unnecessary IMO.

36. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    That's okay man I've told you before how much I respect your football knowledge.
    We just disagree on this subject.

37. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I equally respect you, as I've told you as well.

Killerphins likes this.
  38. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

He knows he had a down year. Too many drops and too many attempts to try to run in tight spaces like Bess, instead of running over people. It looks to me like he is training his a$$ off to be better.

Taking anything from this clip other than a guy trying to be a top receiver is moot.

39. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    Oh come on. I've asked you multiple questions in this thread, brought up counter points, and you've yet to respond to any of them. Dont act like you're too busy, but yet have responded multiple times in the thread after those questions.

You just refuse to answer counterpoints that go against your opinion... either b/c you choose not to or you cant b/c you dont have rebuttals...

40. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    *Debates if he should thank killerphins for calling everyone kids*