1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Breakdown of Incognito and Smith

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by HardKoreXXX, Sep 12, 2012.

1. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I know there were a couple other threads about this, but I feel like this one deserved it's own. Mainly because it was started by me and I have a huge ego.

This Texans blog has a breakdown of what Smith was talking about. Here is the link:

http://www.battleredblog.com/2012/9...itos-version-of-hard-nosed-football#storyjump

In another thread, I saw a lot of people coming to Richie's defense, calling Smith a crybaby, which is par for the course. It's natural for fans to defend players on their own team and call others crybabies. I don't even have an issue with that.

But look at it frame by frame. Tell me you wouldn't be SERIOUSLY pissed if it were an opposiing OL doing this to Cam Wake, Randy Starks or Jared Odrick.

At the very least, this should've been a penalty on Richie, and frankly I wish it would've been called. We all love to have guys like this on our favorite teams but honestly, I'd rather stuff like this not be in the game.

2. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    He is dirty. No question

Vengeful Odin likes this.
  3. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    it cost him a couple horse kicks to the neck/head.

4. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Yeah, and you can't really blame the guy for it. My guess is the refs saw both and decided just to let it go.

Bpk likes this.
  5. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    I'd wager that they saw nothing. I know announcers have been praising them, but they have been blowing a lot of calls. Hartline got mugged on an obvious PI, and instead they called a hold on long that same play.

In the Giant game, guy did the blatant "cut the throat" celebration. thats a penalty. and on and on.

Bpk likes this.
  6. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Other than just holding him by his ankle or lower leg, so he can't get up, those pics and video show nothing else clearly. I sure don't see clear proof that he was twisting his ankle or intentionally trying to injure Smith.

Ozzy, Da 'Fins, siciliansith and 10 others like this.
  7. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    True, but given Richie's reputation and the fact that Smith not only kicked him in retaliation BUT ALSO felt the need to call him out afterward, we can probably deduce that he wasn't just lightly lying on top of him.

Bpk likes this.
  8. MrClean

If I'm Smith though, just the fact that the whistle has blown and the offensive guy is still laying on my lower leg and hanging on, would probably frustrate me to the point of retaliating in the manner he did. Whether or not, he did any twisting, or wrenching of the ankle while holding on. Richie, I do agree, does not appear to be lying lightly on him. His entire upper body weight is helping hold that leg, so Smith can't get up.

9. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    If he dies, he dies.

Go Dolphins

10. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    yeah that article takes liberties with what the frames are actually showing.

Stringer Bell likes this.
  11. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    This is ridiculous. Holding someone's ankle so they can't get back into the play is by no means "intentionally trying to injure" them. Illegal? Yes. Dirty? Thats a major stretch IMO.

Ozzy, Da 'Fins and DOLPHAN1 like this.
  12. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    I don't see how he's trying to rip off his ankle either. He's holding him so that's one less person to get the football.

BlameItOnTheHenne likes this.
  13. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    OH MY GOD!! LOOK AT THE PUPPY TRYING TO BREAK THE LEG OF THE OTHER ONE WHILE SIMULTANEOUSLY TRYING TO RIP OUT IT'S HEART!!!

[​IMG]

Ozzy, Da 'Fins, dolfan32323 and 10 others like this.
  14. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Except I'm guessing what you're describing happens quite a bit, and rarely do you hear/see guys talk to the media about it.

15. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    So Smith is a liar then?

16. MrClean

Your puppies are as adorable as Rotten Richie. You should name of them after him. :yes:

17. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    found them on the internet. I wish they were mine.................

18. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    In this instance, that appears to be the case.

19. MrClean

Could he have been exaggerating? I seem to recall him having comments of some sort after last year's game too. Perhaps he is just one of the Texans players who always has a lot to say after a game.

siciliansith likes this.
  20. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    If someone is holding your ankle, and you try and move away, it will twist. But that doesn't mean the guy is twisting your ankle trying to break it.

Bpk likes this.
  21. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I'm sure would be cool with this if Cam Wake had the same thing happen to him.

22. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    I'm sure we'd see some outrage. Doesn't mean it'd be righteous.

SICK and Bpk like this.
  23. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Of course not. That doesn't mean someone was trying to intentionally injure Wake. It just means he was held.

DOLPHAN1 and Bpk like this.
  24. MrClean

That's how I see it. Sort of like in True Grit, when Rooster had one leg caught under his dead fallen horse, and Lucky Ned was about ready to shoot him, before LeBoeuf shot Lucky Ned from long range. :up:

Stringer Bell likes this.
  25. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
  26. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Half of the posts here should start with this disclaimer!

Alex13 and HardKoreXXX like this.
  27. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I think fandom/homerism is clouding some opinions here.

Look at the last frame. The play is OVER and Incognito still hasn't let go. The whistle has already been blown, he's still holding on.

Like I said, we all love when guys like that are on our team. But regardless of "intent", it's still a pretty dirty play any way you slice it.

28. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Might as well tell it like it is :lol:

29. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie

hahaha

30. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    or while trying to be objective, you aren't really being objective.
    we don't know if he's trying to hurt him or just keep him down. The video evidence you are using only shows one of those things.

MrClean likes this.
  31. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I'm using all the info we have available. Like it or not, Incognito has a reputation. That has to be factored in.

32. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    sure. That still doesn't make the video anymore conclusive. Not to mention whats smiths reputation? Does he lie a lot? Does he like to exaggerate things?

33. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I've got mixed feelings about the issue, and it's admittedly hypocritical. It's a dirty play and he should have been penalized, regardless if he was trying to hurt him or not.

But then again I appreciate the extra effort and the fact that Incognito is willing to do the extra bit to help the team win. I just wished he didn't otherwise get his *** kicked so bad during that game.

CWBIII and HardKoreXXX like this.
  34. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    Jason Taylor was on Lebatard yesterday and basically called Incognito dirty without actually saying the words.

Played against him when he was in WAS and Ritchie was in STL. Hated it. Had to keep your head on a swivel. Etc.

Any non-Dolphin fan who knows Ritchie Incognito, saw the play, saw/heard Smith's comments would agree with Smith. Play was dirty.

HardKoreXXX likes this.
  35. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    He hasn't let go, that is correct. But holding someone's ankle is a lot different than twisting his ankle.

36. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I've never heard him say anything like this about another player.

37. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    The video does make it look like he was twisting. Of course that could be from Smith trying to get free; it's not really clear. The Zapruder film isn't great but it's all we have.

38. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    not publicly. He also kicked the **** out of incognito's upper torso........

39. Rouk

Rouk Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Hollywood, Florida
    Looked dirty to me and I hate this kind of **** I don't know why people like dirty players on there team. I'm a pretty huge heat fan and I wanted Dexter Pittman kicked off the team when he pulled that ridiculous cheap shot in the playoffs.

40. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I'm not afraid to admit I'm a homer, but I agree with Hardkore here. The way Smith starts kicking at him suggests he's being hurt. Of course I may be wrong but it appears to me it is a dirty play, and as much as I love Incognito there is no place for that kind of stuff on the field. It's bull****.

CWBIII and HardKoreXXX like this.