1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Breaking: Chiefs player kills girlfriend, commits suicide at team facility

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by pennphinfan, Dec 1, 2012.

1. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Love how people jump to conclusions like "he's a POS" despite not knowing ANYTHING about the actual circumstances. Hypocrite.

Anonymous and Aqua4Ever04 like this.
  2. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    It's quite possible that suicide wasn't his primary intention but a consequence of his actions, as a form of self punishment.

3. pocoloco

pocoloco I'm your huckleberry Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    Good Lord. I fear for the human race.

Circumstances= guy murders a woman and leaves a two month old child parentless, then proceeds to scar his coaches emotionally.

The ONLY thing that could change part of that observation is if he shot her by accident.

RevRick likes this.
  4. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    If he killed her only because he got "upset" then he's a bastard. Plain and simple. The only thing that would garner some sympathy from me would be if he was crazy, which I'm guessing he was given the story thus far.

5. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Again, you don't know the actual circumstances. Was it an uncharacteristic, provoked sudden bout of rage & emotional snapping?..... or was it a disgusting selfish, calculated, premeditated murder as an act of vengeance or self gain [like monetary reward]? Curious, have you never been so upset in quickly escalated fashion at something/someone that you almost snapped?... or perhaps did snap but w/o any result of death? I'm not rationalizing his actions; however it's not just bad people who do bad things.

6. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    I've never snapped and murdered someone, no. I understand what you guys are trying to say, but you are really going about it the wrong way.

7. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    That's how it seems to me or else he likely would've never taken the time to drive to the facility to say a quick thank you and goodbye. He wouldn't done it right there with her. IMO, this wasn't a spite thing; it was an "oh s***! What did I do!" thing. It's quite possible he had no intentions of ending his life in the least when he awoke today, but after accidentally taking someone's life he either believed his own life was no over as he saw it (especially since football was such a big part of it) or he exacted self punishment for his crime.

8. RGF

RGF THE FINSTER Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    NY

Exactly what I was thinking . I dont know for sure,obviously,but I doubt he woke up today and decided right then and there that he was going to kill his girlfriend then himself. He probably killed himself as a reaction to the reality of what he`d done.

ToddPhin likes this.
  9. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Why? we're not trying to rationalize his actions. We're just saying it's unfair to label a situation that we know nothing about and that good people can do bad things and have one brief moment ruin an otherwise exemplary life. It wouldn't be the first time to happen. Not taking away anything from the victim, but at the same time I personally choose not to hastily give her too much victim sympathy for the chance she's the one who provoked the entire course of events that not only led to her own death but his as well.

If a person isn't allowed to escape a hostile situation while the other person involved has a real knack for pushing buttons, things can escalate quickly. Having a 2 month old together can certainly qualify for such a situation. Perhaps he's a heartless prick..... but I don't think a heartless prick goes and says goodbye and thank you to his coach & owner.

10. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    And in pursuit of that you are justifying his behavior. Intentionally or not, saying well what if his gf blah blah. That is rationalizing. Killing your gf because she's banging the milk man is not a rational excuse. Trying to say it would be an empathetic reason is the very definition of justifying his actions.

Steve-Mo likes this.
  11. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    yes and no. If he killed her b/c he was sanely upset and sanely chose to kill her to shut her up or whatever, then he's a bastard. If she provoked a huge fight causing him to snap in an atypical fit of rage then he's not necessarily a bastard; he could be a good person who just snapped.

It seems like people are treating this as if he woke up and thought to himself, "Today's a good day to kill this girl." I seriously doubt that happened.

Something provoked the series of events. If it happened in front of her mom, it's possible that she was doing what many disgruntled people in a relationship or marriage do ---- which is antagonizing the other person in front of mom or whomever in order to expose the partner as looking like an ahole. Or perhaps he started it all and when she defied him he snapped. We just dont know.

12. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    sure which is why I say he was just probably crazy. And I'm sorry, being antagonized, or she cheated, or she threatened to take away his kid. All understandable he's upset. But, there are lines you don't cross as a good person. You walk away. You shout, you yell, you cry, you throw **** but there are lines you don't cross.
    Let me ask you this, what if he just snapped and killed her but didn't kill himself? Would you have empathy then? I doubt it. And I'm saying this as someone who has struggled with a bad temper.

Fin-Omenal and Ronnie Bass like this.
  13. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    yes, and again I never once thought about killing someone else. Just myself. And I've had someone, the love of my life cheat on me.

Aqua4Ever04 likes this.
  14. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    which is understandable. But, you didn't do it. He did. It's the same as wanting to beat up your ex. Yeah, you think about it, but you didn't do it did you?
    Another thing to think about. What if he snapped and just beat the **** out of her? None of use would be sitting here saying poor guy I'm willing to bet.

Killer Bees and Steve-Mo like this.
  15. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    How many times must i say I'm sorry about that?

They meant nothing to me. I was drunk.

16. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    those poor sheep!

Conuficus, Fin D and ToddPhin like this.
  17. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Personally I think the reaction here would be much different had he not committed suicide. I'll wait to gather more information but its hard to get much sympathy from me when you kill your girlfriend then yourself. The girlfriend and those the deaths has impacted (family), sure they have my sympathy. Belcher? No way.

Steve-Mo and unluckyluciano like this.
  18. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Did this all happen? Doesn't justify murder but whatever...

19. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    I'd be more sympathetic, yes. Like I said I understand what you guys are saying, I just think you are going about it the wrong way. Saying "let's wait to hear what happened" versus "well what if she cheated on him", is the bad way to say what you mean.

Aqua4Ever04 likes this.
  20. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I can assume most scenarios that would paint Belcher as the victim are highly unlikely.

Steve-Mo and unluckyluciano like this.
  21. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    ^^ this.

22. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I got out of the business of jumping to conclusions a long time ago.

By most accounts, this was completely atypical of this guy and his personality. We really don't know anything about him or what led to this.

I'm certainly not justifying his actions. But its ok to wait before passing final judgement. Everybody thought Chris Henry was just a bad guy (myself included) until he died and the medical examiners found he was severely brain damaged from football.

And there is NOTHING wrong with offering condolences to Belcher's family. Nothing. They aren't responsible for this and they suffered a terrible loss too. Not to mention the guilt and anguish they feel for the victim as a result of their son's actions. They shouldn't be treated as paraiahs.

It was no doubt traumatic for this mother to witness her son gun down the mother of her grandbaby. Just a bad situation all around. I feel for everyone. Especially that baby.

- sent from my Android device via Tapatalk -

23. ExplosionsInDaSky

ExplosionsInDaSky Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    This is more common than one would think. Stuff like this happens every day and it's a bizarre world we live in. I can only speculate that a strong testosterone ridden young man lost his cool and made an emotion driven mistake. He may or may not have been crazy but this sounds like someone losing their cool over an escalated stress induced argument. Most normal people have had fights with their spouses. It's quite common for couples to do so despite the subliminal media, tv side of Americal that sweeps reality under the rug, and tells you it's not common to do so. I get that emotions are just such a powerful thing and I get that all sorts of people get twisted thoughts...My point is that both emotions and thoughts pass. You are going to get mad at some point, you are going to laugh, be happy, be sad, and then get mad all over again. It's completely normal and it really just sounds like dude lost his cool COMPLETELY. I mean take a frigging walk for christ sake!
    My only question is why a gun man? Why did you grab a gun and turn it on your girl? I mean why not a backhand or a body slam instead? Anything would have been better than a gun. During the early parts of my childhood I lived in a house where physical response was often a response. There were times where mom and dad would go hard at it. Stuff was thrown, punches were sometimes involved, lamps, pots, pans, etc. It wasn't pretty and often tragic but nowhere near as awful as something like this. My thoughts and prayers go out to all involved, this is just awful man...Football player or not..I'm just tired of hearing about stuff like this.

Killer Bees and Aqua4Ever04 like this.
  24. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    No, I'm not saying it's ok, and I've said such. I didn't say that it's ok to kill your partner b/c they're cheating on you. That's entirely different than being in a hostile situation, one that you have little ability to escape, and then have the other person push your buttons till you mentally snap. People who have never been in such a mentally compromising situation have no idea what it's like when you are, and it's bull**** for these judgmental people to turn their nose up at the world from behind their rosy life and condemn others for it. Nothing rationalizes an act of taking another's life, as Jovan obviously knows first hand as he took his own in response.

I can tell you first hand from an experience that occurred after being honorably discharged from NAVY's Nuclear Engineering program due to ADHD when I was 24. I didn't have a mental illness but, nonetheless, for 2.5 weeks I was housed on a floor with about 75 guys who were discharged from the for legit mental illness reasons like bipolar, borderline personality, suicidal tendencies, homicidal tendencies, and just flat out nuckin futz. Keep in mind this was 2 weeks that I was technically a free person just waiting for paperwork to be processed, but for those 2 weeks we were still NAVY property and had to carry out a semi-traditional NAVY day--- waking up early, kept uniforms, orderly marching for chow, all that stuff, and ALL with the expectations of conducting ourselves like typical bootcamp kids should and with group consequences to be faced should individuals cause problems or fall out of line, except these weren't normal bootcamp kids; they were kids with mental issues unfit for duty. For those 2 weeks, talking was prohibited period (or else group consequences would be faced). There was no TV. There was no reading. And there was no lying on your bunk or napping to make your time go by faster. You got a pen and a pad of paper and that's it. It was 2 weeks of waking up, marching to and from chow (no talking), sitting on your butt Indian style on a concrete floor following chow for as long as it took to conduct roll and not have individuals interrupt with any talking (which could be hours).... then marching to and from a silent lunch..... then back to sitting on your arse for hours until dinner..... then back to sitting on your arse till lights out........and in between you get the emotional joy of watching mentally ill people being punished for breaking rules and subsequently witness them using their own face as a speed bag for it.... meanwhile having yourself constantly punished for others' actions (like scrubbing toilets or extra hours of nothing but sitting Indian style)...... and if you want to take a post meal poo you have 8 toilets with no stall doors and with the pleasantry of watching people take a crap opposite you with them watching you in return. This was undeniably 100 times worse than jail (outside of the butt rape) b/c at least you have some freedom within jail whereas this was a complete and utter lack of liberty and was more like being held captive, except you're being held captive despite knowing you're a free man. For a sane person, these 2 torturous weeks of public solitary confinement combined with constantly having others screw with your sanity by making you responsible for their actions was enough to make me snap, and I could feel myself teetering on the verge of it despite being far from a violent person. All I can compare it to is Private Gomer Pyle from Full Metal Jacket (the soap beating scene) except this was like dealing with 20 Gomer Pyle's and not being able to talk, nap, read, nothing--- all day every day for 2.5 weeks. It's just you and your thoughts, repeating the same ones over and over and over again b/c that's all you can do. It's like American Horror Story where they're held captive and tortured despite being innocent. It truly shed new light for me on owning/captivating pets. The ONLY thing that maintained my nearly-compromised sanity and prevented me from joining the mentally ill was being able to volunteer for manual labor crews to sweep and clean the building after each chow [just to keep me occupied and away from the crazies] and then doing free laborious grunt work at construction sites. It took me a handful of months afterward to mentally recover.

If a person is fortunate enough to not know what it's like to have their sanity imposed upon, then they shouldn't be speaking about/condemning situations that might involve such.

Aqua4Ever04 likes this.
  25. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    1) In what way could he not leave? He couldn't walk out?
    2) Yes you are looking for a way to justify it. It's why you are coming out with all sorts of explanations, none of which really make sense. If someones manipulating you into killing them bro, then you really need to just get out of the situation all together. What we do know, is he wasn't in a mental ward or prison to where he must kill.

26. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    hence why I said earlier the only way I can feel some sympathy for him is he was crazy.
    yes, people can go crazy. No one is arguing otherwise. But, if you are "sane" and kill someone because they are antagonizing you, then you are either a) not sane b) an *******.

27. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Hey screw you bro, this is a 100 buy in league! I can't have my best RB being shot!

Seriously, lighten up. My comments aren't affecting anyone in either family. If I made a reference to someone here's friend or relative I would understand. But save the high and mighty nonsense and if u don't like it? Don't read it.

28. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    murder, is a big *** mistake.

29. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    no, but again, there's a big difference between shoving your gf or punching your friend to doing that enough to kill someone. Unless he just hit her/shoved her and somehow killed her with one blow, the comparison doesn't match up. If I hit you enough or stab you enough or pull out a gun and shoot you in a fit of rage, then that is greatly different then just some mistake.

30. ExplosionsInDaSky

Sep 13, 2011
    Human beings are capable of doing the most awful things one could imagine. Bottom line is everyone is different and everyone handles things differently. Sounds to me like some of you just want to say the right thing because thats what you are supposed to do. I don't think anyone here is trying to justify Belchers actions. I just think some of us actually understand how powerful emotions truly are (especially when you are young 25 year old man).

31. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    And some of us understand there are certain points where he's just over emotional don't justify the ends.

32. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Easier said than done, my friend. If you're with a person who has not only antagonized you into anger but is preventing you from walking away like trapping you in a bedroom/bathroom by using themselves to forcefully barricade the door to where the only way to escape the situation is to go through them, then that's how unintended violence can ensue. I've been put in that situation with an ex, and I can tell you how possible it is for a non-violent person who's never hit anyone in his life to be backed into a corner like that [first with her blocking the front door to keep me from walking out..... then following me into the bedroom and as I try to use that as a secondary outlet to cool off [and her barricading that door], and then in an effort to abstain from any violence [IE: not physically going through her to get away from the situation] I tried escaping to the bathroom where she's unfortunately right on my heels and beats me to closing the door, followed by using her body to physically barricading the bathroom door.... all the while coupled with repeating yelling and antagonizing regardless of how calmly I asked to stop and to move away from the door so I can get away and cool off before flippin' out. It was at the point where the only way to pacify the situation was to physically move her out of the way, and if the person doesn't want to concede freely then the only alternative is exerting a little physical force to move her against her will.

I'm still not condoning the intentional choice of killing someone in this situation, but I can completely understand how a non violent person can be backed into a corner by a confrontational person and in turn have them become spontaneously physical and/or violent, especially if the person is bipolar or has an autistic spectrum disorder like Asperger's where it's warned these specific individuals don't react well when backed into corners. Why do you believe humans are impervious to such actions when cornered despite such actions being common among many species? What happens when you corner an angered dog? Humans might be capable of a higher level of thinking, but we also have primordial instincts that our brains sometimes simply can't outthink.

33. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    No one said they are impervious. You are putting words in my mouth. I've acknowledged people can get angry. Even very angry. What I haven't done is try to justify that murder is an ok outlet for anger.
    And yeah, no one said it's easy. It's also not easy to not shoot someone for cutting you off in traffic. But you just don't do it as it's crossing the line. Being barricaded in? Go out the back. Call the cops if it gets that bad. He's a linebacker fake her out. There's like a 100 different scenarios before murder.

34. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Nobody is saying he's the sole victim and that she isn't a victim, but there is a scenario where they're both victims.... just as there's a scenario where she's the sole victim.

35. ExplosionsInDaSky

Sep 13, 2011
    Like I said..Everyone is different like it or not. Not everything is the same with people and neither you nor I are in a position to make the rules much less pass judgement. What he did was wrong wrong wrong all the way through. I also never once said that letting your emotions get the best of you is a logical reason to do what people do. I'm just saying that it's easy for people to go "oh he's a crazy piece of trash" rather than trying to completely understand a situation no matter how gruesome it is. I'm not walking in anyone of the victims shoes right now so I really don't know how i'd feel. If I were the womans father I would probably want justice. If I were Belchers mother I would probably feel nothing but guilt and shame. If I were his child growing up an orphan I would want to know why. This is just a sad story thats all there is to it. I didn't come here to debate the rationale of his actions.

36. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    We already make rules. It's called the law. The law states, if you say get in a fight, you can defend yourself, you can hit back, you can even knock them out. You can't stomp on them till they die because they are pissed off. Yes, it's a sad story. And as I've said, the only explanation that makes this garner some sympathy for him is he was crazy. Otherwise, he knowingly killed someone because he was pissed off.

37. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    1) see my previous post. Walking out is sometimes easier said than done if the other person is physically trying to stop you.
    2) no, I'm not trying to justify it b/c I was in that type of situation without actually killing someone or resorting to violence other than having to physically move her out of the way against her fighting will. I'm saying how I can understand the human psyche snapping in that type of situation to where a good & non violent person enters a quick, adrenalin-filled bout of rage to where he/she acts in regrettable fashion before they even have time to think.
    3) regarding the bold. See #1

38. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    1) see my reply
    2) Yes you are trying to. Even if it's not intentional, you are. Like I stated earlier, saying "well we should wait till we pass judgement" is way different then trying to find various scenarios such as "he was really angry" to explain why he did what he did and justify the murder.

39. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    The gun definitely adds a different perspective to this than if accidentally killing her with a forceful shove. I'd like to know how the gun became involved.

40. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    All of us understand that it doesn't justify the ends.