1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Breaking: Dolphins hire Dennis Hickey as GM

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Phins_Fan_87, Jan 26, 2014.

1. BicketyBam

BicketyBam No Fist Pumps Allowed

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    Thick as a brick, lol. Sorry about that!

cdz12250 and Rocky Raccoon like this.
  2. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    I still can't believe we hired this guy smh

Bpk likes this.
  3. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

I think theres enough evidence to at best...not be excited about Hickey's hire. But..hes the GM of my team..so I will support him. Im going to give him time to prove people wrong. Im sure he is well aware of the doubters...maybe he puts a chip on his shoulder and becomes an amazing GM. We can hope. But..all the past evidence..isnt gonna change the fact hes leading our draft this season. So...we shall see.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

mullingan likes this.
  4. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Hickey is going to freakin' rock!!

Bpk likes this.
  5. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    We would have been in the playoffs last year if the freaking coaching staff didn't lay an egg the last 2 games

6. finwin

finwin Active Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Jamestown, NC
    There's nowhere to go but up. Gotta trust the draft grades that networks dole out because they're usually right. We were also picked to finish 3rd in the division last year with a 7-9 record, so I'm eager to see how our draft grades out and what the rags have to say about our 2014 team.

7. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    Just read on ESPN's NFL home page:

JamesWalkerNFL James Walker
    #Dolphins owner Stephen Ross said the GM must be joined at the hip closely with the head coach. That's one thing he looked for.

8. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    (Joe Philbin quietly leaves the room with Dawn Aponte at first opportunity)

Bpk, dolfan32323, ToddPhin and 2 others like this.
  9. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    You're just trying to argue for the sake it. Hickey isn't a rookie entering the league for the first time who just needs some coaching up. He's been in the NFL for 18 years, and while the rest of the NFL was busy poaching the talented executives off the Bucs staff, the guy the league kept passing over was Dennis Hickey.... that is, until our idiot of an owner got himself persuaded by our nepotistic head coach after everyone worth a damn had already snubbed us.

There's substantial reason for the way CK, myself, and others feel, and to ignore it as if we're living in a bubble like you're doing is disingenuous. Nobody is "wishing" Hickey to fail. He's widely viewed as a poor hire at the moment, so if he ends up living up to that billing as expected, we hope Ross will make the correct choice and fire him rather than keep him around another year at the expense of the organization's best interest like Ross seems to have a habit of doing.

If you wanna be optimistic about getting snubbed by every GM candidate worth a damn and subsequently slumming it with a 3rd rate guy, then by all means, feel free.... but don't go telling others that we need to ignore the stark gloomy reality of this hiring just b/c he's not a Miami Dolphin.

10. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    more like 6 inches to the left.

yeah, so he can fire both of them together.

11. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    I guess you could spin it, that it was Hickey's day and Philbin didn't want to cause a distraction or have people trying to get him to answer questions. Same with Aponte.

I wonder if Aponte knows or is prepared for what she's in for with her new, more public role with the team. In this business, people most of the time won't like you and are more than happy to tell you that you suck. Hope she can take it

12. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Some might say, that between Aponte and the other public figures of the team, she's the only one that was made to take it. :shifty:

bigbry likes this.
  13. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Not from you, but some of the comments I've read on this website in the past few days sure sounded like that was the wish, IMO.

Stitches likes this.
  14. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
  15. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    and she is the one to suck.

16. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Maybe he can find us a star HB at the least. Carnell Williams was a GREAT pick until he shredded his knee.

17. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I haven't read anything like that. Most of us hate the hire but have stated we will wait and see.

18. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    That seems to be one the one thing they're harping on, that they want a HC and GM who work well together. The implication of course being that Ireland and Philbin didn't see eye to eye. Obviously Ross sided with Philbin, and doubled down on him in the GM search. I think it can work but if it doesn't then the lynch mob will be out in force and they're not gonna wait two or three years either.

djphinfan likes this.
  19. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    People who wanted Ireland fired maybe are not seeing that Ross understood that the GM and head coach were on two different pages, it seems very important to him for all pieces to work in unison and genuinely support each other,a synergy of sorts is what he's looking for,it obviously wasn't there with a head coach he believes in so he went with a guy that seems to wanna work with Aponte and Philbin and support them both, and collaborate with both on decisions..

He is right in the sense that you can't have people in the heirarchy on different wavelengths..this guy isn't the guy that everyone wanted but the fit might be right which might in turn make decisions come easier and more identifiable..

I saw Ireland go to battle with the head coach on Clyde gates..Les "as uge"...and Jon Martin..three players that were not the kind of physical tough players that one would want on their team..

This town needs tough players over anything else..

20. ConvenientTruth

ConvenientTruth Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Florida
    I never told anyone to feel one way or another I just didn't understand wishing failure (as Chris did) in order to progress some agenda. I also didn't express my excitement or even satisfied with the hire, but why not want the guy to succeed? Hoping for the best in the face of this particular situation is I can personally do at this point. Do I see it as a poor hire, yes, just as I viewed a majority of the moves by the Dolphins over the last 30 years and as poor at this point all I have is hope that something good will come out of it.

All I know at this point is this guy has spent 0 years as a GM in the NFL....same as Farmer, Dawson, Caserio, or any of the other candidates and his track record is no different then the others with the exception of those trying find anything to continue to make this look as bad as possible....if one did the same for the others I'm sure the results would be similar.

I'm not going to apologize for being...optimistic, football is something I enjoy and refuse to allow it be source of stress or a target for my angst.

NyPhinfan likes this.