1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Breaking Down the Franchise: QB Chad Henne

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by vt_dolfan, Oct 4, 2009.

1. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Well...

Today marks the first start of the Chad Henne era. Not since Dan Marino has there been so much anticipation and trepidation about a young gun getting ready to call the signals. A four year starter at Michigan wearing the Maize and Blue, Henne now shoulders all the hopes of the Aqua and Orange. He's used to the big crowds...the relentless pressure that goes with being a QB at such a large program. But as big as Michigan is, it aint the NFL. Here, you better not let blood get in the water....

There will be many posts about how Chad Henne does today...but I thought it would be cool to start a thread where we discuss his play...similar to how the coaches might break down his play. Im gonna make notes as I watch the game..looking at his footwork...is he checking down a ton...does he have pocket composure.

Id like to keep it as much about the actual play as possible...not conjecture. This way, we can possibly keeps tabs on his development in one place..and see if he improves in the next games ahead.

Im looking for some great input from those guys who are astute at breaking down the QB play. This will be my first time...but some of you are really good at it....and even those that may not have participated in the past in breaking down a QB's performance...watch a few plays...look at his footwork...watch his helmet...and give us some of your thoughts....

But be prepared.....dont come in with ..... he's a bust... or he sucks...and just have he "threw an interception" as the reason...try and understand why he threw the interception. Can you tell if it was mis communication with the WR (its gonna happen with a QB Rookie)...just bring your A game to this thread....

Look forward to the rest of this season with you all...and hopefully, we can look back at this thread someday like a time capsule and see the development of the next great QB in Miami.

2. Shamboubou

Shamboubou Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I'm not one of those guys who can really analyze the footwork and such, but I can give you my opinion of what I saw when he got in last game.

I think he threw some good balls last game. It seemed to me though that they wern't going to let him take shots down field in the early going, but once they did he found Ginn twice who unfortunatly dropped the ball. In his defense it seems like his throws were missing the reciever just a little bit. They were all catchable balls, just could have been thrown a little more accuratly.

The second thing I noticed is that it doesn't seem like our pass protection is as good when Henne is in. I guess this could have something to do with a couple few things. First is Henne not reading the defense and pointing out where pressure is coming from for his O-Line? Or is it a footwork thing? Or a little of both? IMO I think its probably a little of both.

Well thats my small analysis of Henne thus far. I can't wait to see what he does with his starting role today, should be very interesting.

3. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Good insight Sham....lets see how a weeks worth of starting reps in practice changes anything you saw last week...looking forward to what you have to say after the game today....

4. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin Active Member

Hennes first game and I'm stuck with the Yag's game.

5. mbmonk

mbmonk I have no clue

Aug 4, 2008
    I really LOVE the idea of this thread props vt

I am just going to repost what I put in another thread.

6. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Good idea for a thread, but I get a bad feeling its gonna get ruined by the end of the day

7. mbmonk

mbmonk I have no clue

Aug 4, 2008
    Henne has really done a great job at reading the defense and not forcing throws.

If you look over the last two games ( Buffalo and Jets ) you don't seen Henne throwing into double coverage and almost getting it picked off. That is a great sign. It means he is seeing the throw before he makes it. Impressive I must say. I thought for sure that the Jets were going to trick him. Now the running game, O Line, and coaching staff all did a great job at keeping the Jets from running those exotic blitzes, but Henee seemed to make the right read almost every time. Impressive.

Also he did a much better job moving around in the pocket against the Jets. The TD pass to Ginn the O Line and 2 TE's did a great job blocking and Henne just slid away from the rush. That gave him plenty of time to throw and a clear throwing lane w/o defender's hands in the way. He didn't just sit stand in the pocket like a statue. Nice pocket awareness and movement.

And of course the two touch throws. First, the TD pass to Ginn was really on target. If you watch it I think Ginn is hit in stride and the ball is very slightly short and Ginn catches it on his back shoulder. But Ginn didn't have to slow down or adjust his route toward the sideline or toward the middle of the field. It was a really impressive throw. It was actually a much better throw than Sanchize :lol: made to Clowny. Sanchez's throws was short and Clowny had to slow down. If that throw was on the mark.. that is a TD. Since it was short Clowny slows down and Bell recovers enough to tackle him.

Then the lob pass to Cam on the 3rd down an all out blitz by the Jets. Where Henne throws it early and lobs it a bit and hit Cam on stride. That was throw showed correctly reading the defense ( man coverage blitz ), anticipation and knowledge of the play ( knowing where Cam was going to be and where he needed to put the ball), touch ( It's one thing to throw and accurate lazer, it's another to throw a perfect lob ). That pass hit Cam in stride and was out in front of him.

8. Cass

Cass Active Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Bristol, England
    Hi,

Sorry for asking what may be an obvious question, but what does this mean "to kill one at the line"?

Thanks,
    :)

Edit: Thinking about it, I guess it would just mean to stop the play at the line of scrimmage, but short of stopping the game clock without using a time out, is there a reason QB's would want to intentionally do this?

Ah, Sean P answered during my edit. :)

9. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    Pretty sure thats referring to spiking the ball to kill the clock (and the down)

Cass likes this.
  10. Ultra

Ultra Lazy

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas
    I think he's just trying to say that they gave him the option to run two different plays, then when Henne gets to the line and makes a read on the defense, he picks the play he wants to run based off the defense

Cass likes this.
  11. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    What it means is Chad is given two potential plays that he can run depending on the defense. Typically one is a pass and the other is run, and then depending on what he sees he can kill one and choose the other. Similar to that third down field run that led to the last field goal against the colts. Chad P had a run or pass play and he changed it to a run play based on what he saw.

Cass likes this.
  12. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    the guy looked like the RealDeal to me :yes: good as the young Dan Marino
    give him another three games to calibrate his recievers
    & we may have our Franchise QB. wouldn't that be nice:up:

13. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    I cant say enough about how calm and collected he looks: get sacked 6 times? No biggie. the game's on the line? He doesnt back down.

14. Cass

Cass Active Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Bristol, England
    Ah thanks for the explanation, that makes much more sense. :)

Although I've been following the Dolphins from over here for a good few years now, it's only recently that we've started to get any actual decent analysis on tv so there's probably a few things that I'm not as clear on as I could be (which is one of the reasons I joined this forum).