1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Breaking News: Gruden fired

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by PhinGeneral, Jan 16, 2009.

1. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    Jon Gruden fired Per PFT

Per PFT:

mullingan, baboo72 and anlgp like this.
  2. Caps

Caps Movimiento Juvenil

Mar 23, 2008
    Not surprising if true. I've been wondering for the last two years when he would get the axe.

3. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    cnc66 likes this.
  4. MelbournePhin

MelbournePhin New Member

Nov 30, 2007
    melbourne,fl
    gm bruce allen also axed.

5. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    only stunning to the people who didnt see the bucs defense after kiffin decided to go to tennessee

6. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I think the reason for their collapse is because of their age. They're pretty old on the defensive side and I think Gruden has to take some blame for that. I said it in the Club and I think that Gruden messed up when he and Rich McKay got into an argument, leading to McKay's departure. Gruden love veteran players, he brings in a plethora of them and we saw that in Tampa. Rich McKay likes veteran players but the difference between Gruden and McKay is the fact that McKay drafts well and prepares the younger players to step in the veterans spot when they're contracts run out. Gruden, instead of drafting young replacements, just went out and brought in more veterans. I think the acqusition of many veteran players over time was one of the reasons you saw the defense collapse in the final four or so games of the regular season.

mullingan, GISH and like2god like this.
  7. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    i agree about the poor building methods, but disagree that the age of the defense was the cause of the implosion. we're talking about a night and day difference between the bucs before and after kiffin announced he was leaving for tennessee. a defense that has played lights out for the better part of a decade, suddenly collapses due to old age the exact moment the man behind their defense announces he is leaving. coincidence? hardly. gruden has coasted off the after effect of dungy, and the defense of kiffin for far too long. he took a team that had the best defense in the nfl, and was supposed to build an offense to match. 7 years as head coach, and the offense is no more prepared for the future now than it was when he took over. now the defense is 100% gone, and the bucs know what would happen if they let gruden go solo next year without a defense to protect him. the bucs did the right thing and canned his ***. those 4 games told everything you need to know about jon gruden. this should have happened 3 years ago, but that ring bought him undeserved time.

8. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Not much surprise here. The only thing that i guess surprises me a bit is how long they waited. Most teams axed their guys within the first day after the regular season ended, bit surprised they waited this long when everyone pretty much figured it was coming. Be interesting to see where Gruden ends up.

9. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    one of the things i dislike most about gruden, is his coaching methods. his system is too complex. hes begging his players to fail. he needs to have 50 qbs in training camp, because 99% of them wont be able to understand what he wants them to do. i dont think he can take a player and coach to that players strengths. he forces players to adapt to match his system. that is not good coaching IMO.

mullingan and FinSane like this.
  10. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Kiffin announced his departure roughly two weeks after the Tampa Bay Buccaneers defense started crumbling.

Agreed. He had success off of teams that he didn't build. Rich McKay and Tony Dungy built those teams and Gruden just came in, made a few adjustments and went off from there. Its obvious that Gruden hasn't done very well with the teams he's assembled. Dungy leaves in 2001, Gruden comes in and wins a Super Bowl in 2002. Rich McKay leaves in 2003 and Bruce Allen comes in. Do you know what is Jon Gruden's record since McKay left in 2003? 38-42.

GISH likes this.
  11. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I can't help but think that Raheem Morris is announced the new guy in charge in a short amount of time. With his good history in Tampa, his intelligence and work ethic, he's a good coach and he's one of my favorite candidates out there - the other being Keith Butler. Raheem Morris learned from Mike Tomlin for three years and the one year that Raheem Morris left to Kansas State to be a defensive coordinator, the Tampa secondary was ranked 22nd overall I believe. There's a reason that they begged him back after that season. If Tampa Bay hires Raheem Morris, they've got another fan of their team.

12. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    Ah, The good old Dave Wannstadt formula. Guaranteed to provide winning seasons whilst your core of veterans stay together to be followed by a massive implosion and reclamation project.

Coral Reefer and FinSane like this.
  13. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    I have to chuckle at the radio over here.

They called in their sports talk guys and ruined all their Friday nights.
    Radio personalities kind of cursing the Glazers for that. LOL.

I've heard Parcell's come up a couple of times.
    One caller saying he thinks he misses coaching..... :lol: yeah....
    Another saying that he thinks Parcells probably regrets he didn't make himself GM in Miami so he'd consider Tampa.... doubt it.

Lots of realization that they could be going through a huge rebuild project with the sports talk guys and especially the call in fans loosing it a little. Actually a little amusing when it's not your team going through it.

mullingan likes this.
  14. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I can recall Tuna saying "I'm going to Tampa" during the closing shot of one of those Sunday Morning Football shows...then not going...:lol:

John Gruden was an okay Coach, but a terrible terrible GM...his picks were just bad..for years.

West Coast Offense Head Coaches are dropping like flies, and Gruden will be the last Head Coach/GM we will see in a very long time, the job is to tough to split time being a HC and GM, and the money involved is massive, a GM/HC falls in love with the wrong player, and he doesn't pan out, the franchise is out tens of millions of dollars.

15. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    If I'm Tampa, I look to Tim Ruskell as a possible GM to pair up with Raheem Morris, assuming he gets the head coaching gig. Ruskell is in Seattle right now and they're going through some changes with Jim Mora coming in and installing his own system as well as personnel. It certainly wouldn't surprise me to see Ruskell leave Seattle if he's offered another job and I think Tampa should go after him. Him and Rich McKay work the same way, from the draft process to the season.

Another guy I would be very tempted to take a look at is Bill Polians son, his name escapes me at the moment but he worked with Dungy in Indianapolis and is a candidate for the Cleveland GM job.

16. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Wonder if anyone picks Gruden up now?

17. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    My money is still on Oakland being interested.

18. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Oakland interested in Gruden? Be kind of interesting to see Gruden in college.