1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bret Bielema Says Talks To Coach Phins Broke Down In 2012 Because Of Russell Wilson

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by shamegame13, Jan 30, 2015.

1. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I was told (was it you?) that a <12.5psi ball helps the team recover the football better after a fumble. So maybe he is using a less inflated ball. ;)

2. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Those rushing yards help my fantasy team too :D vs passing yards (10 yards for a point!). More rushing and passing TDs next year please!

Funny enough, Russell is my starter, Tanny I picked up on waivers at the end of the year in case he turns it up higher next year. Might scoop up Bridgewater too just in case he becomes a monster (he was pretty good the last 6 games)

EDIT: Shoot I might go pick him up right now lol

ckparrothead likes this.
  3. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    His teammates recovered around 50% of his fumbles. He fumbled it 11 times this season...

shamegame13 likes this.
  4. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    That doesn't sound egregious. Tanny fumbled 9 times, only lost 2.

ckparrothead likes this.
  5. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Did he really fumble 9 times this year? It really seemed like he cleaned that up this year.

6. Tannephins

Tannephins Banned

Dec 23, 2014
    During the three years of Russell Wilson's career, when he has a QB rating below average in a game, the Seahawks are 8-7. The success they've been accustomed to during Wilson's tenure has been largely dependent on Wilson, as well. He needs to play average or above for them to be the team they are today. It's not like their team can surmount below average performances by Wilson to the tune of being a dominant team in the league nonetheless.

roy_miami likes this.
  7. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    The math indicates he was dead on. Would you like to borrow a calculator?

If not here's a cliff notes version. *****ing about what the mod said you after you complained about someone else and didn't get the response you wanted is something no one really gives a damn about. It makes you sound like a baby.

No one forces you to be here. If your experience was bad then move on. If not then stop acting like it was because your a bit red assed about it.

Things happen all the time that I don't like. Guess what no one gives a **** as they are usually too busy worrying about their own problems to care about yours.

Or even more basic take it up with that person, this is not the forum for that stuff.

8. Skidrow

Skidrow New Member

Dec 28, 2014
    I dont have the numbers in front of me, and if you do, what was the dolphins record when Tanny's qb rating was below average? Just curious. But i would be willing to bet that the win/loss difference in this circumstance woyld be much larger than the seahawks.

9. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Tannehill is in no way, shape, or form as good as Wilson. You'd have to be a Fins homer to think otherwise, and I see the usual suspects in here.

10. Skidrow

Skidrow New Member

Dec 28, 2014
    I think the point many are trying to make is that wilson isnt a significantly better qb than Tanny, and if Tanny played on a team with better talent and coaching (like the seahawks) he would have post season appearances, and potentially wins, on his resume. Thats what i believe, at least.

Piston Honda likes this.
  11. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    nice disclosing information that is told to you in private buddy..lol

I know I'm on ignore so no'one quote me..lol..

dude needs the ole man river ban....as in lifer..this site has to much class to deal with this...jmo.

Fin-Omenal and shamegame13 like this.
  12. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    there is a gif out there showing the illegal helmet to hemet hit on wilson from clay matthews...this was a very violent collision, seriously, I'm not sure how he continued playing.

I think one of the toughest qbs in football is ryan tannehill, there is no question this dude does not let pain or violent contact affect him, I saw a clip the other day where he came to the sideline after a hit and spit his chipped tooth into his hand, went right back out..

77FinFan likes this.
  13. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I just can't wait for free agency, the combine, and the draft.

shamegame13 likes this.
  14. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2014
    You keep pretending like I've said Wilson isn't a good QB. I have said the exact opposite. Again, he's a terrific talent, one of the best young QBs in the league.

All I've said is that he has weaknesses in his game. Most of which are masked by his coaches and teammates. The NFCCG was an example. If we can dissect RT objectively then we can do the same with any QB, even the best QBs have their flaws. You constantly take offense to any criticism of RW as if he's beyond reproach, the tape says different. I've praised RW all thru this thread and many others, but I'm not blind to his faults and I don't mistake team success with individual greatness.

I hope someday we can have a rational discussion on this.

15. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Wilson has played lights out better than Tannehill through 3 years. I don't see how anyone can get around that. He's had a lot more help, which is why the team has had so much success. But individually, he's played better as well. You can't even use Oline as a crutch because Seattle's oline last year was wrecked. Who knows where their careers will be in 10 years but today, Wilson has been great.

roy_miami and ckparrothead like this.
  16. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Not sure thats giving credit where credit is due, wheres the criticism for the evaluators who slept on him?, why aren't you criticizing them for not seeing this great talent as you say?

I guess the main disagreement comes from this idea that wilson would be this different player if playing elsewhere..I just really disagree with that theory especially considering the playmaking aspect to his game.

roy_miami likes this.
  17. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    He might not have won a superbowl and got to another without that team, but an individual's performance is an individual's performance. If Adrian Peterson played on this team instead of Minnesota perhaps he has a ring by now. But that doesn't mean AP isn't an all time great. Separate the individual performance vs. the team accomplishment here.

18. shamegame13

shamegame13 Madison & Surtain

Dec 15, 2014
    Hallelujah! Man up...

djphinfan and ckparrothead like this.
  19. isaacjunk

isaacjunk Member

May 17, 2013
    Of these I would say the yards per attempt is the most significant...6.9 is pretty middling

ckparrothead likes this.
  20. Tannephins

Tannephins Banned

Dec 23, 2014
    That could be said about any QB in the league who plays at the average level. The Seahawks have not only postseason appearances, however, but a Super Bowl blowout win, and perhaps a consecutive Super Bowl win later today, and that level of accomplishment has a lot to do with not only the talent surrounding Wilson, but Wilson himself. Teams don't function at that level in this day and age without superior quarterback play.

roy_miami and djphinfan like this.
  21. Tannephins

Tannephins Banned

Dec 23, 2014
    And that's where the conversation ends, because the people you're talking to about this issue have chosen an unfalsifiable and irrefutable position. How Russell Wilson would play elsewhere is a complete unknown and hypothetical. How can anyone say he would or wouldn't play in some way elsewhere, with any certainty? One can certainly have an opinion, and then great, he has an opinion that can be neither confirmed nor refuted. Big deal.

Let me know when you've taken a position that isn't the equivalent of "religion" -- as in based on the irrefutable unknown. When we can talk about real data and information, then we can really talk and perhaps learn something. When we're talking about the unknown, then it stops at the level of personal opinion and "faith."

speed likes this.
  22. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Based on the fact he is the reason that Auburn won a national championship. He deserved to make more at Auburn than he does with the Panthers.

It is absurd that college football players at the big time schools get only a small stipend and a scholarship to play for the university, while the school makes millions of dollars a year off the sport. Especially when the head football coach at the university makes millions of dollars a year off the backs of these players.

I have absolutely no problem with players at these top football factories getting paid large sums of money. Whether it is by the university or by the rich supporters of the university.

The players at these universities need to form a union and demand appropriate compensation for the financial windfall they provide to their university each year by participating in the sport of college football.

In fact the NFL should help fund these payments because college football is no more than a farm system for the NFL.

23. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

This thread could be epic after the Bowl.

speed likes this.
  24. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    What game??? That's awesome lol...

25. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    The article was stating that Wilson had fumbled more times than anyone in the NFL, without any of his fumbles being recovered by the other team. It was talking about how it was a statistical anomaly, and it was saying his luck could run out here soon on that.

The number of fumbles isn't too high... but it's the fact that none were lost that was just weird.

It's not a bash Wilson thing. Just found it interesting...

26. Tannephins

Tannephins Banned

Dec 23, 2014
    Tannehill's YPA ranked 21st of the 25 QBs in the league who had at least 350 pass attempts in 2014.

27. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Should we start paying college players to play basketball, baseball, hockey, lacrosse, volleyball, swimming, & track and field as well?

28. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Yeah, proportional to the profits they generate.

29. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Do the lesser sports really generate enough revenue to pay the players? What about smaller, "poorer" schools?

30. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I would pick up Bridgewater. I graded him as a top echelon quarterback.

jdang307 and shamegame13 like this.
  31. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I think they should pay any athletes who play a sport which generates a profit for the university. That would probably be only the football and basketball teams at most universities and perhaps the hockey teams at a few colleges up north.

I really don't follow the other college sports and I don't see why universities give scholarships to individuals who play a sport which generates no positive financial benefit to the school.

If a sport can't pay for itself at the college level, it should not rely on the the revenue producing sports to support it, IMO.

32. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    I like tannehill a lot.

I am not the biggest wilson fan.

But there is zero debate on if wilson has had a better career thus far. He has, and he also had a better year this year as well.

Tanny is close.....but not yet.

That is my talent evaluation.

You want a statistical evaluation...here it is:

It is a total Russ Wilson beatdown. Tanny is not close.

jdang307 likes this.
  33. shamegame13

shamegame13 Madison & Surtain

Dec 15, 2014
    Bridgewater is gonna be a great QB in the NFL. Its quite evident he should of been the 1st QB off the board last year.

34. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Problem is, you pay athletes of one or two sports, all the other athletes of other sports will want to be paid as well, regardless whether or not their sport generates revenue. Then the universities will cry poor and raise tuition even more for everyone else and cut funding for all the other lesser sports. You pay the lacrosse players, for example, all the money they'll make will go to purchasing their own uniforms and equipment, travel expenses, ect. Paying college football/basketball players sounds like the right thing on principal, but could be disasterous for everyone else. Players will go where the rich universities are. Smaller schools will lose out even more on prospects than they already do. Public universities will lose out on revenue and cut spending everywhere else. Should college players get agents too? There's just a lot to consider.

35. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University

You should get an equally divided % of the revenue your respectful sport generates. So if your universities rowing team loses money?? O'well.

36. speed

speed Banned

Oct 14, 2014
    Stay tuned!

37. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Sh&^, I can't remember, but matt moore looked at him like he was crazy,he was joking around,, also anther shot where he got absolutely blindsided, and I mean a vicious hit, and he popped up and said'' that'll wake you up''

hes sick I think he likes punishment.
    the wilson hit was on even another level, it looked like a concussion shot to me, and wouldn't be surprised if it had to do with some poor play.

38. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I believe football and basketball players should be paid simply because most of the universities at the bigger schools are more concerned with the revenue these athletes can generate for the university by playing a sport than they are about the quality of the educations these players receive while they are in school.

That is why the football and basketball coaches are the highest paid employees at major universities.

If universities can't afford to support the minor sports based on the revenue these minor sports generate for the university, drop those sports.

Personally I feel that the NFL and the NBA should have farm systems just like MLB does. The better players coming out of high school who have no interest in going to college but want to try and become a professional in one of these sports could prepare for their future career by playing the game at a professional level from day one. Just as MLB players do when they play in the minor leagues.

If the NBA and the NFL are going to use the universities as their farm systems as they do now. These leagues should also be required to assist in paying the players the universities are developing for their league.

As far as whether they should have an agent or not. I believe these major university sports should be represented by a union and as long as the union and the universities can come to an agreement on what should be fair compensation for these players, I don't see the need for agents under that scenario.

If if on the other hand universities don't want to allow unions to represents the players. I see no problem with players hiring agents to represent them in determining fair compensation for the each player in accordance with that players value to the team.

39. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    No, they don't. So those players shouldn't be paid. This is basic economics.

40. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Was it the Jests game where Wake got flagged for leading w/ the crown of his helmet, decleated Geno, never got near his head. I think it was the very series that some Jet defender put the crown of his helmet into Tanny's earhole, his entire head rocked to the side, no ****ing flag.