1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brewers fire Yost

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by DonShula84, Sep 15, 2008.

Tags:
  1. DonShula84

DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    Wow, really?

ESPN - Brewers fire Yost, promote 3B coach Sveum as interim manager - MLB

2. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I know Brewers fans hated him, thought he did a lot of dumb things and he got blamed for a lot of their 2nd half fall last year. Can't say I know if he's a good or bad manager. Word was this week that the Brewers players were playing extremely tight so maybe the FO thought they needed a change.

My only question is Dale Sveum can't be a worse manager than he is a 3rd base coach.

3. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    This move really really surprises me actually. I thought Yost had done pretty well with the cast he was given.

I think he will end up with another team before Spring Training next year.

4. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    No surprise. If it werent for the mets collapse last year this would be getting a lot more press.

Coincidentally or not and slightly OT: all these teams that are having trouble finishing out playoff races right now have bad bullpens. The Mets have blown a ton of saves (27 after the 7th inning, 11 in the 9th). The Brew crew I dont know the stat for off the top of my head but they seem to always be losing late leads. Arizona has blown 18 leads 8th inning or later. The teams chasing/racing with them, Philly, LAD, and Houston all have solid bullpens the 2nd half of the year so far.

Mets Brewers and D Backs may all want to fix it. The Mets with their offense and SP may be the 1 that can overcome it.

5. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    The ironic thing about the D-backs is that for the first 2/3rds of the season, their Bullpen was FANTASTIC, and they do have some quality guys in Rauch, Pena, Qualls and Lyons.

I am going to find it interesting in any off-season moves they make.

6. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I think Josh Byrnes is a pretty good GM, it's a shame that ownership pushed him into signing Eric Byrnes and thus moving Quentin out of town. It will be interesting to see what they do though, they have a lot of young talent, they need a new 2nd baseman, probably another starter and pen help. I wonder if they'll resign Dunn.

7. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    Yeah, DUNN is already a heavy fan favorite, and has been one of the few productive players the last month.

Orlando Hudson should be back, and Eckstein is a nice back-up role player, as is Auggie Ojeda

Keep in mind that when in Phoenix, Quentin was
    A: Hurt almost all the time (ANd he is again) and
    B: Pretty much sucked.

He had tons of promise when he came up, but didnt pan out.

I do think DUNN will be put at 1st permanently and actually Chad Tracy will be traded. He almost was when Mark Texiera went on the market.

Another starting pitcher is an absolute MUST.

8. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    On Quentin, maybe he just needed a change and wouldn't have put up the numbers he is in Chicago, I just still thought it was a mistake for AZ to sign Byrnes long term especially after he had a career year in his early 30s, it was screaming Gary Matthews Jr. I know it wasn't Josh Byrnes fault but it was ownership that wanted it done.

You really think Hudson will be back? I think a lot of teams will be throwing money at him (possibly the Mets and Yankees if Cano is traded or moved to the OF).

azfinfanmang likes this.
  9. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    Stranger things have happened, but I would be surprised to not see O-Hud back in Phoenix next year.

Concerning Byrnes, he was pretty solid last year for the Snakes. He is DEFINATELY a fan favorite and even has his own TV series here.
    Have to remember, the D-backs don't have nearly the Financial luxery that a couple of other teams have :shifty:, so they have to pander the fan base they do have to some extent.
    Bottomline, Byrnes might not be an All-world left fielder, but he is very serviceable, and is not an hindrence defensively.

10. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Young players typically do struggle and/or get hurt when they first arrive. Thats part of the deal when you go that route. they lucked out that one of the players received for quentin, 1b prospect Chris Carter, was able to be dealt for Haren or else that deal would have been a complete waste. Just as confusing was dealing Valverde when they really had no one in place for Qualls and Chris Burke.

If you go Dunn at 1B, expect some bad defense. Typically players move out, away from the infield as time goes on because you need quicker reaction times on the infield. Going from the outfield moving in should be an adventure though I do look forward to that first time Ryan Howard hits a dribbler down the line and Howard and Dunn collide. Thats like 2 OL moving full speed. :pointlol:

azfinfanmang likes this.
  11. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    RE: Hudson: I doubt it will be the Mets. Daniel Murphy was one of 1 of 4 players hitting 300 in the Pacific Coast League. The Mets really like his bat and he is supposed to work at 2B over in Winter ball. They'll probably bring back Easley and possibly Crapstillo (if they cant move his bloated ***).

Murphy was originally a 2B in HS, moved to 3B in college at Jacksonville to get on the field sooner, and then to OF in the high minors to get on the field. :wink2:

12. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I'm aware of Murphy, I just know that a lot of scouts don't think he'll be a MLB 2nd baseman as he struggled in the minors at D on 3rd, they don't think he has the footwork for 2nd. Who knows though until we see him there.

I do think Hudson would be a perfect fit with the Mets, especially batting 2nd in the order and with his glove and range.

13. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Its funny those are probably the same scouts who said the mets had no farm yet 3 of the 4 hitters in the PCL hitting 300 or better were mets and none were named Fernando Martinez or Wilmer Flores. Given time, he'll be fine. :up:

14. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Yeah scouts are wrong a lot, just depends on who you ask and what games they go to for a particular player.

15. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    I don't question the move but I do question the timing.

16. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007

Actually, Dunn has already played some first base. They figure Conor Jackson is a much better outfielder than Dunn, and that paves the way for Justin Upton to come back to right field.

As for Howard Dunn collision...good gracious sweet Mary that would be UGLY :lol: