1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bricks and Mortar by Phins.com

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ATVZ400, Apr 29, 2008.

1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    good read..... link
    http://www.phins.com/chris/column_042908.html

So how well did the Dolphins really do?
    I haven’t a clue. Neither do you.

That’s the NFL Draft for you, a two day crapshoot. There’s just no way to immediately know if you have selected a crop of studs or a crop of slugs. With football players, all athletes really, time is the true judge.

After all, how can anyone really know how a draft will turn out when the newly minted haven’t even buckled up an NFL chinstrap yet?
    So count me with the group of folks who believe that day-after draft grades are silly.

“I judge it probably in three years”, said Dolphin GM Jeff Ireland. “You have to judge them in how they contributed to your roster and how well they are playing.”

Amen to that. That’s why I like to focus on strategy versus a team’s overall philosophy. Were they able to move their vision forward?

The Dolphins’ primary goal in this draft was to rebuild the offensive and defensive lines, the foundation of all great teams. They wanted improved size, intelligence, and toughness up front. On offense, this means building an offensive line that can instigate power football. On defense, it means building a front seven that can man a 3-4 system and deliver stops and turnovers.

They seem to have accomplished this goal.

WharfRat likes this.