1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Broncos lose structure with Nolan’s departure

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Fin Fan In Cali, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Broncos-lose-structure-with-Nolans-departure.html

But, the bottom line here is that Denver just lost a very good defensive coordinator, only to be replaced by — shockingly — another Bill Belichick disciple from New England, as reports are that Dean Pees is on his way to Denver.

The Broncos made a huge jump this season with some veteran additions that played well in Nolan’s scheme. I understand that the Denver defense did contribute to the club’s 2-8 finish after the 6-0 start, but the point here is that you have to have some sense of structure and stability as a football team.

Larryfinfan, dolfan7171, evz and 3 others like this.
  2. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    I think we have scored a great DC to this team. Now we just need to add the right players to fit his scheme.:up:

dolfan7171, gafinfan and LandShark13 like this.
  3. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Re: Broncos lose structure with Nolan’s departure

I guess we can infer that we also lost stability by switching DC's too.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

4. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Imho we stay with a pat hand on Defense, Nolan took Vets to make the Denver Defense work, why trade out our current players for unknowns?

I suspect Adalious Thomas winds up in Miami though.

5. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Brother I was referring to adding via free agency and the draft. In my opinion Mike will push our existing players harder then they were probably pushed.:wink2:

dolfan7171 and Califin like this.
  6. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

Wow. Two legitimate DCs sign on in the same week.

They must like the scheme.

7. finz810

finz810 Season Ticket Holder

Now gimme a new Safety ( Gibril wilson is garbage)

a new MLB ( channing crowder talks more **** then he does tackles & sacks added together)

and the D will be good

8. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Living in Colorado I get tired of hearing about the Donkeys 24/7. Yes the Broncos had a much better then expected year but they also had a very soft schedule. I thought they would go around 6-10 at best. Losing Nolan will hurt and I could see Marshall and others leaving as well. I just don't think Orton is a guy who can take them to the next level.

9. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    one man's loss is another man's gain

10. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Wilson is a StrongSafety not a FreeSafety
    we played w/ two SS in the defensive backfield
    one will probably go: Bell is my best guess.
    not much difference, other than age between them
    look for Clemons to start & another FS to be drafted

p.s. Wilson is not garbage, he is an excellent StrongSafety & Crowder our starting ILB & defensive play-caller

Anonymous likes this.
  11. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    Wilson's play in the last half of the year was much better, I don't know where all the hate is coming from. He's playing out of position, and actually did a fairly manageable job with some of the more elite offenses in the NFL. As an FS, yes, we could ask for more, but I definitely think we need to have an open competition at SS next year, as he definitely seems more adept at sniffing out the run.

As for Crowder, I'm ok with him staying, because I think he'll be alright behind an ILB who can get some good play. But playing him teamed up with the rest of our mediocre ILB corps is just tough to watch.

12. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    It's going to take more than two replacements on defense
    to turn around a defense that allowed the 3rd worse points allowed in 40 years for the Dolphins.

This defense needs a major overhaul
    All linebackers need to be replaced this or next season
    Our linebackers have ZERO foot speed...ZERO

Our safeties both need to be replaced
    again lack of speed and coverage abilities

Nose tackle needs to be addressed

The two rookies have to play much better
    allowing 1588 yards and 10 tds between them is not good

Make no mistake this defense needs more than 2 players to become good

LandShark13 likes this.
  13. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    I think Bell is a a fine Strong Safety. Very strong in run support and Decent enough in coverage. Don't get me wrong I'm all for upgrading any position on the field. But with two strong safety's on the team if I was going to keep one and let one go Wilson would would be the one to get his walking papers. I bring this up not because I wouldn't be happy if we upgraded the strong safety position as much as there are other positions on defense that need to be addressed more and we can only address so much in a single off season. Nine picks in the draft and a bad year for free agents are going to limit the amount of upgrades we can make so I would rather us address the most severe. ILB, FS, and NT to name a few. I would also love to see them bring in another OLB as well. That's 4 spots right there only on defense. Let us not forget the need for a big time receiver and a TE on offense. So something has to give.