1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Browns using the "wildcat" tonight

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Finfangirl, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Finfangirl

Finfangirl Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Bay Area, Ca
    Anyone else see it??

josh cribbs comes in as qb, jamal lewis is the running back in motion.

PMZQ, cnc66 and CrunchTime like this.
  2. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Cribbs was a QB at Kent State, so it isn't as big as having a RB back there IMO.

3. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    They just gave away a version we have been setting everyone up for. This was run to the weak side, all of ours have been right of center. This one took advantage of one of the ways to counter the formation. If the DE on the weak side explodes along the line he can wreck the play from behind. Ronnie got caught like that from behind by SD. Anyway, the defender did what I described and Cribbs ran right past him.. beautiful design.

alen1 likes this.
  4. cnc66

Nov 23, 2007
    well, theres another one we havn't used yet. A reverse to the weak side.

5. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

of course those are options. there are probably more that the browns can't run that we can.

6. cnc66

Nov 23, 2007
    point is, these two versions had never been seen, now they too will be addressed.

7. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I think that's an advantage instead of an disadvantage Marty. Teams will have to study more of the 'Wildcat' which takes time away from the base offense.

Off-topic but the UFO or stand-up defense that the Browns ran in the second quarter caught my eye. Next week we face Baltimore and I've seen them run that defense in the past to confuse the opponent. We saw Shaun Rogers as the Mike in Cleveland's UFO defense and then blitz. What I've noticed with Baltimore is that when they do this, they don't always blitz Haloti Ngata, who in this case would be the Shaun Rodgers. They have Ngata play in coverage, about five or so yards away from the LOS while they blitz everyone else. In the Pittsburgh game, they did this and Ngata got an interception I believe. The Baltimore defense broke down Roethlisbergers pocket and forced him into a bad throw, which ended up in Ngata's hands.

8. anlgp

that's because the cheezburgler is a big dumb slow elephant while we have a smart cheetah in our quarterback.

9. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    The only knock on Roethlisberger I can think of is that the he holds on to the ball too long. Pennington can sometimes hold on to the ball too long but scrambles out of the pocket to make a play. In the Ravens-Steelers game, Roethlisberger was unable to scramble out of the pocket due to the pressure coming from all sides and was going to hit a WR downfield but arm got hit. If the Ravens get their quick enough, it could be result in a turnover.

I also am wondering how much we go to Greg Camarillo this game. My guess is that the Ravens will have Chris McAllister on him as Camarillo is our best receiver. McAllister has played very good this year, with three interceptions and I believe eight passes batted down. He and the secondary got torched in Indianapolis but we aren't Indianapolis lol.

10. anlgp

I don't mind cheezburgler. I think he's a good qb. but he is a big dumb slow elephant.

11. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 19, 2007
    I could have sworn what the Browns utilized tonight was the "copycat".

Finfangirl and xDOLPHINSx like this.
  12. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    That sucks. I have been waiting for us to run LEFT we have not used that ourselves.

When we do they will say we copied them... Oh well. I have a feeling alot of the lower ring teams will start using this formation and it will negate our teams advantage. That said we need to get better at a normal Offense as well..

13. jupiterfin

jupiterfin Mild Irritant

Nov 29, 2007
    Jupiter Florida
    I saw Carolina do it against Tampa this week also... They say immitation is the sincerest form of flattery... We must be doing something right.

14. Phin-o-rama

Phin-o-rama Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2007
    I'm just wondering which team is going to use it against us and flatout embarrass us with it

15. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    I fully expect to see a take on Sunday's flea flicker later in the season; Ronnie hands to Ricky who tosses to Chad who throws back to Ronnie who throws downfield.

cnc66 likes this.
  16. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    You read my mind man. :lol:

17. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    It's set up. Look at who's around Ronnie. No-one. Ronnie could trot out towards the opposite sideline and Ricky could run full circle with Ronnie throwing back d......wait a minute......I'm getting carried away!

18. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Seriously though. No one is gonna cover Ronnie after he hands off to Ricky. They'd need to be lucky enough not to have Safety stay back to G the pass. My only issue is that the ball would take a while to get across field to get to Ronnie.

I actually think the Browns could run the Wildcat with more variety than us since they have Cribbs. (maybe not variety, but more effective variety)

19. cnc66

Nov 23, 2007
    Alen.. making them spend time in practise is indeed an advantage.. personally, I would prefer to suprise them and score before they practise against it. Paul Pasqualini said we have some thoughts on what to do should we see it. I would run it against us just to see how we DO defend it.

alen1 likes this.