1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bubble Guys... some good, some not so good...

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Paul 13, Sep 3, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Lets face it, after the Jake Long near tragedy tonight, the rest of the game became a bore fest. I tried as hard as I could to focus on the bubble guys... the guys in jeopardy of not making this team. Here's some conclusions:

Those that impressed and should make the team:
    -LB Micah Johnson... continues to play with the big boys and the fact that Charlie Anderson was playing next to him more than Spitler and Folsom bodes well for #57. Quite a story for a guy that wasn't on anyones radar back at the start of camp.
    -WR Marlon Moore... he was making the team anyway, regardless of what he did tonight, but he just continued to do what he's been doing all preseason. Making plays in the passing game. Not only is he making the team as a #5, he's making at as a #4 thanks to the Camarillo trade.
    -CB Jason Allen... that's right Jason friggin Allen. That was starting cornerback Sean Smith getting beat on a TD tonight right (against a third string qb and bubble wr)? And Nolan Carroll getting beat by another scrub? Jason Allen had another solid night. Absent Will Allen healthy, Jason is the first guy off the bench. Always a solid special teams' guy, clearly he's making this team and I'm happy for the guy.
    -OLB Quentin Moses... Probably going out on a limb with this one, but when he came in the game later on, he made plays those first couple of drives. His problem is that he's not the special teams player Erik Walden is. Walden is apparently higher on the depth chart than Moses due to this. They could both conceivably make the team, but it depends on how hurt players like Will Allen, Channing Crowder, Jake Grove really are and whether or not we roster some guys at those positions that we'd ordinarily cut if we had a healthier team.

Those that didn't hurt their chances due to good efforts tonight:
    -WR Roberto Wallace... He looked a little dominant at one stretch late in the game. He may not make the final roster, but he should make the practice squad. He even did well on special teams tonight (drawing a penalty).
    -WR Patrick Turner... I don't know where he falls in this whole thing. He did have one drop and perhaps isn't as promising as Wallace longterm, doesn't seem to be making an impact on special teams. Did make a couple of plays late in the game.
    -G Donald Thomas... I'd expect him to make the team now with Garner out for the season. Probably the number one guard off the bench ahead of Proctor. I think Sparano has a soft spot for the guy...
    -LB Chris McCoy... I thought he had a great game tonight, setting the edge, dropping in pass coverage, showing his progressions as a rookie. He probably won't make the final 53, but I do expect him to make the practice squad.
    -TE John Nalbone... barring a pickup from another team, he should make the final 53. Had a nice catch and run tonight on a boot from Thigpen. Has a little ways to go as a blocker but he didn't hurt his chances tonight.

Guys that disappointed:
    -DE Lionel Dotson... He's been a personal favorite of mine since he was drafted a few years ago. He looked to run out of gas tonight, both he and Charles Grant. Likely that only one out of these two and Ryan Baker make the squad. I would have thought it was Grant before tonight's game. Now I'm not so sure. Marques Douglas has passed them all.
    -LB JD Folsom and Austin Spitler... both of these have played poorly all preseason long. The writing is on the wall for these guys when an "experiment" of Charlie Anderson moving to ILB plays before them. I don't think Spitler makes the practice squad either... rather see guys like Amaya and Ness on the 8 man unit.

Just one other note... did the rest of you feel Reshad "Hitman" Jones tonight like I did? Boom...

2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    No quibbles here with that list.

I'd add the one player who helped himself the most this evening was..Ellis Hobbs..I thought he was scrubini/camp body material, he ended up having a good couple of games.

Andrew Hartline as well, I suspect he is the "next" Nate Garner, he played G and C, and probably could play Tackle..ps material to begin with, I suspect Hartline sticks around though.

I do suspect that Smith will turn things around as well as his issue is not a lack of talent, it is a lack of consistency..Jam and Redirect SS..each time..every time asked to do so.

3. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Yeah, I would say Hobbs might have a case for the practice squad if he were eligible, I don't believe he is. SS24 will be fine... his tackling (my biggest gripe) is much improved

4. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I do not think Hobbs makes this team, I do think he surfaces later in the yr if we have injuries or a team like the Rams or Detroit makes a play for him.

5. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    been impressed by both Hobbs and Ness for most of the preseason... long players with good range. I'll be bummed if Ness doesn't make the PS. Problem for these guys is that they don't play inside like Sapp or Carroll.

Bpk likes this.
  6. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

I am willing ot bet you ANYTHING that Ellis Hobbs doesn't make this team and that he DIDN'T impress you with his play for Miami tonight.

Calvin Hobbs however...:shifty:

Tonight was the first time I took notice of McCoy ofr a lot of the reasons Paul said. Probably doesn't make the team but he could be a nice project player with potential to make it next year.

I thought that Moore solidified his place on the team if he hadn't already. I was NOT impressed with Roberto Wallace in any way shape or form. And to be honest, I don't think he showed much of anything in any of the games.He has size, but he is much too raw and inconsistent. On Thigpen's interception, even with the ball being way off line, he simply watched the ball, knew he couldn't catch it and gave up. Not sure if he could have done anything to breka up the int or not, but it would have been nice to see him try. That and dropping some very catchable passes hurt him badly too. At this point I would rather keep Patrick Turner over him and hope that Turner's light comes on later (much Like Kevin Vickerson's and Devin Aromashodu's did after we let them go).

The first team o-line played much better today, but of course, they were playing backups mostly. And Reshad Jones (my personal underdog to take over the FS spot sometime this season) laid the wood tonight.

7. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    IMO Moses has quietly had a quality preseason for the most part.

8. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    We said the same thing last year about him.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  9. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    He only played 4 qtrs TP.

10. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Reshad Jones led the team in tackles, including a big stick. He impressed. not saying he makes it, but just wanna give him his props.

Paul 13 likes this.
  11. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    And he made the team last year, on the back of that preseason. And, he played during the games, despite having more people with better resumes sitting in front of him than right now.

This is the guy that should be battling Koa Misi for playing time at SOLB. He's better than IAF. He has better awareness, shows better pass rush.

ToddsPhins and Paul 13 like this.
  12. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Another guy who has quietly showed his stuff this preseason is Ryan Baker. He had some quality pass rush moves last night that shouldn't go unnoticed in the film room.

I still don't know why everyone talks about Lionel Dotson, but they don't talk about Ryan Baker. Baker is better. He's a better pass rusher, he's stronger, he has better eyes, and he's only in his second year where Dotson's had some more time to get a move on.

13. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    [​IMG]

He showed good quickness and held the point fairly well in the 2nd half.

Wallace had 1 drop and 2 circus catches, one for a TD where he was covered and just made a play.

I thought the Oline was listless, there was no intensity to that unit.

And I like Jones but to me his light hasn't come on yet, I saw a play where a Rb was lined up for a big stick and Jones passed just to remain playing under control.

What Jones does bring to the table is he is probably our best ST tackler..could be wrong, but I think he led the team in ST tackles.

14. HULKFish

HULKFish Artist and Scribe

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    I don't know guys, I didn't like seeing some backup TE throw off Micah with a high tackle to snag a first down.

I would keep Wallace over Moore for the size and speed and has shown really good hands. I would like to keep them both and drop Turner but who knows? Especially if Sam Hurd is let go...

Sean Smith will get better as he's adjusting for the new defense and the coverage will be different in the regular season. Let's not forget what YB said last week about Sean just needs to trust the play-call and not freelance and he'll be fine!

15. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    I was surprised by how little IAF played last night. For someone that started training camp way down the depth chart, i don't even think he played in the second half. This is one of those put the faith in the hands of the coaching staff's decision and hope for the best scenarios.

Moses started at times last year IIRC yet I don't think he played with the big boys at all this preseason. If he gets the axe, I'll be bummed. Is that special teams unit so bad that we have to keep Erik Walden over Quentin Moses? Walden is very limited in what he brings to the table in our defense. With guys like Lex Hillard, Pat Cobbs, Erik Walden, Charlie Anderson, Tyrone Culver, we seem to have built a team that is comprised of players who are better at special teams than their o and d units. A bunch of Kassim Osgoods..

16. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Suspect Misi and Ikaika will platoon at SOLB, Ike showed how well he can set the edge which to my mind puts Misi at a disadvantage.

Ike had 2 tackles (one should be a TFL) and a Qb hit, Misi..well...was Misi.

That is Q's problem in a nutshell, and he doesn't play the Will either.

And each one of the STers you listed also do other jobs:

-Culver FS or SS
    -Anderson WOLB/SOLB/ILB/DE
    -Hilliard is the insurance policy for Brown and Williams
    -Cobbs has a slew of roles, from 3rd down back to ST to WC cog.

Q's problem is he either plays SOLB or DE on passing downs.