1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bucs contacted Bill Cowher

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by padre31, Dec 27, 2009.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I was sort of afraid of that happenning to Morris, the 09 Bucs had some talent, but it was to dispersed, one Lb, a Wr, a Rb a Cb, they are rebuilding and I'd guess Morris would take the fall for the losses.

Imvho, I think Morris lands on his feet, the NFL is cruel, but ultimately fair, Morris is a good enough positional coach to land a job elsewhere.

2. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    He may have saved himself with some of these late season wins. But still, I wouldnt be shocked to see him go. Hes had some major issues, and at times seems like hes in way over his head ala Cameron - and yes I realize they lack overall talent.

Still, when your firing coordinators (whom youve chosen) ... its not a good sign, among others. Im not impressed by him at this point.

3. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Cowher is a damn fool if he goes to work for the Glazers.

4. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    IMO Morris was a poor selection anyway. I cant see any other reason he was given the job other then being the OC for Freeman one year at K-State. Hes never been a HC at any level or a coordinator at the NFL level.

Ronde Barber seems to like him though and the team hasnt quit on him. Found this little tidbit:
    In an interview with Pewter Report, CB Ronde Barber threatened to retire if the Bucs do not retain head coach Raheem Morris.
    "Absolutely it will," Barber said when discussing the impact Morris' status has on his future. Morris has led his team to a 3-12 record, and there is talk that Tampa Bay will target Bill Cowher as his replacement. Barber turns 35 in the offseason. He has 75 tackles, but zero interceptions on the year.
    Source: Pewter Report

5. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    I think popularity with players was another reason he was selected for the HC job. Although in general coaches are getting much younger (and still having success), Morris screams to me that he was hired to early.

Either the Bucs are going to need to go through some severe growing pains, or they need to move on now.

Losing Ronde Barber at this point would not be a deterrant to a decision on Morris imo.

The coaching position actually seems to be relatively stable in the NFL right now. Going into the season and at midseason I could see a number of coaches that were in obvious danger, but it seems to be lessening with the season.

Some candidates:

1) Morris - popular with players, late season surge
    2) Tom Cable - Raiders coaches are always on the hot seat, has managed some decent wins however. Offield issues.
    3) Lovie Smith - Super Bowl appearance has faded. Inability to do anything with Cutler will hurt. Inconsistent.
    4) Gary Kubiak - Thoroughly average, team does not seem to be improving under him.
    5) Wade Phillips - Finally managed to get into playoffs. Will need at least a close loss to retain job, and he may need a win.
    6) John Fox - Panthers management said he will return.

To me those are the most likely to go, and out of them I really dont see any that couldnt be reasonably brought back for one more year.