1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C. Patterson 4.37 40

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Triggercut, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Mrtree

Mrtree Juan Huron's agent

Dec 8, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Thank you Padre. I was starting to wonder if none of the youngsters got the reference.

2. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Jimmy, do you like hanging around the gymnasium"

3. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    He really needs to improve his route running. At times, he's not aware of how much space he has to work with.

djphinfan likes this.
  4. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

You gotta be ******* kidding. :pity:

5. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Do you think that's something that comes in time with him? He certainly seems to have the athleticism to run all the routes.

6. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Yeah. Ryan Tannehill had 19 starts. Lamar Miller had 13 starts. Yeah. He's pretty much locked into the "25 starts in college" approach.

7. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Maybe. I can't really tell if it will or won't. Like you noted, he has the tools for it but you don't really know if he has the discipline.

8. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    On the subject of Cordarrelle Patterson's 40 time.

As you guys know I often do my own re-testing of 40's. My goal is simply to get apples-to-apples views on how fast these players actually cross 40 yards of distance in relation to one another. The absolute number doesn't matter to me as much, it's the comparison that matters. As such I begin the frame counter at the final moment when the player's first foot is still barely touching the ground before it lifts off. This means that every time is very literally the time it took for each player to step their way across 40 yards of turf. No getting weeded up in whether to start the timer because a guy's foot flexed, or his hand raised up slightly, or his shoulders rolled, etc. It's just based on the steps.

Based on this I found that Marquise Goodwin crossed 40 yards of turf in approximately 4.22 seconds' worth of video frames (60 frames per second). I found that Tavon Austin crossed 40 yards of turf in approximately 4.27 seconds' worth of video frames.

And finally, I found that Cordarrelle Patterson crossed 40 yards of turf in approximately 4.30 seconds' worth of video frames.

Why does that time differ significantly from the unofficial and "official" times? Based on the frame by frame I would have to say it's because he raised and moved his hands significantly sooner than he actually jacked his feet for the start. Little differences in start METHOD like this can result in these kinds of perversions, which is why I do this in the first place.

A year ago I got consistent 4.32 for Stephen Hill and Chris Rainey, and 4.35 for Travis Benjamin. Those three had the fastest 40 times among offensive players.

This impresses me, because on coaches tape I've done some looking at Stephen Hill's work in 2012 with the Jets and that man absolutely flies down the football field and is among the best natural deep threats I saw. He's the same weight as Patterson but 2 inches taller. Knowing that Patterson approximates the same speed gives me that much more confidence in him.

schmolioot and Ludacris like this.
  9. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    However it should be noted that despite random fans' account of a meeting with Jeff Ireland, I do not whatsoever expect the Miami Dolphins to draft Cordarrelle Patterson. I originally put those odds at 20/1 and I'm staying with them.

10. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

To be fair you MO is more than " fine to re-sign Hartline and draft Patterson at 12 and call the WR position good" ...

11. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Curious what guys you think have the best odds right now? My guess would be Banks, Lane Johnson, whichever top DE that falls to 12 out of Moore, Jones, Jordan, and Warner. Maybe Rhodes. In that order.

12. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    A complete overhaul of the WR core in one offseason was unrealistic to begin with, IMO.

13. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    He also made a big deal about Tannehill not meeting his criteria and he broke his own rules to draft him.

So there is that, he did take two jr's, which is out of character for his time as GM.

14. MrClean

Out of character is one AssUMes he still follows the Parcells blueprint even now that he is no longer bound by Parcells' shackles. None of Tannehill, Vernon or Miller fit the Parcells blueprint, so it looks pretty obvious to all but the most obtuse viewer that the Ireland blueprint does not match the Parcells blueprint.

15. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Not really, after the draft there's a good chance Bess and Matthews will be the only WRs remaining on the active roster from last year

Wallace/Jennings
    Rookie
    Rookie
    Bess
    Matthews

that's 5 and that's assuming we don't add a 2nd cheaper WR in FA that makes the team and pushes it to 6 (or an undrafted FA). Throw in the fact that we'll probably also bring in at least one new TE and this could be a completely different set of pass catchers.

16. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    It's probably more-so the Philbin blueprint doesn't match the Parcells blueprint.

17. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    And Matthews, Cunningham, and the rest of the draft class all were Seniors, which is in keeping with his time as GM

He also tends to like the big 12 or whatever is today.

18. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Martin was junior

19. MrClean

He may have tendencies. That is not the same as hard and fast etched in stone rules. His blueprint is his own. We've seen variance from what Parcells did to see pretty clearly that Jeff is his own man, now that Bill ain't around anymore.

20. MrClean

Ansah also has to be in play. Definitely over Moore anyway. I'm still not ready to discount Keenan Allen. If any WR in the draft fits what Ireland would want, IMO it is Allen. He's probably the most plug and play ready of the WRs in this draft. Also, after his combine, I'm thinking Eifert moves up to close enough to 12th overall, that he'd not be a reach to take him there. Also, as a few others have noted, Austin is at least a wild card for consideration at 12. Not saying I'd agree with all of them, but I can see the line of thinking behind them being considered.

21. LiferYank

LiferYank New Member

Oct 1, 2012
  22. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    No. That's not true at all. There are actually very few immature wide receivers. You just notice them more because of their immaturity. You don't have to be a diva to be a top receiver.

I personally haven't seen any immature traits from Patterson on the field. I've seen that guy pat the DB in the head when the DB got the best of him. He's not out there running his mouth a lot.

23. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    No. That's not true at all. There are actually very few immature wide receivers. You just notice them more because of their immaturity. You don't have to be a diva to be a top receiver.

I personally haven't seen any immature traits from Patterson on the field. I've seen that guy pat the DB in the head when the DB got the best of him. He's not out there running his mouth a lot.

24. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Calvin Johnson, Anquan Boldin, Larry Fitzgerald, and quite a few others disagree with you.

25. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    Actually, I've seen a couple instances of TD showboating, but I'm not overly concerned.

26. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I'd still like to have him.

27. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    He drew two touchdown-negating Unsportsmanlike penalties. But one was not really unsportsmanlike conduct at all. It was something else mistaken for unsportsmanlike conduct. The first one was absolutely showboating though.

I wouldn't say immaturity on the field. You can call it that. But I refer to it as sheer absent-mindedness, and it's all over his film. It goes to the root of my biggest concern about him.

28. RevRick

RevRick Long Haired Leaping Gnome Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA
    [​IMG]

Really!

29. DrAstroZoom

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    I saw the same thing, and I was most reminded of Brandon Marshall. He'll make a ridiculous catch one minute, and muff an easy catch the next. The upside far outweighs the concerns for me. The question is ... is the upside worth picking him at 12? That's why I'll be glued to free agency early.

30. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

There is a lot of bad-vibe flex in picking Patterson at #12...the position he plays is one of wildly varying rates of success. That may be enough for Ireland to shy away from him. That said, FA has to make a huge difference in the importance he puts on a playmaking WR (that Patterson seems to be). For example, if we have Wallace or Jennings or even Hartline on board (I am doubting all of that, tho), then waiting to get someone later is fine and he can go after a CB, DE, OL, etc...another factor is who is available at #12.... I mean if Milliner (doubtful) is available at 12, could you pass on him, even if you need a WR ?? I doubt teams can go into the draft and pinpoint who they want prior to the start of the draft unless they have #1 overall... If he doesn't do something in FA regarding the WR position, he paints himself in to a corner once KC is on the clock in April...that is a recipe for disaster, not that it couldn't still work out for them, but it's really taking more of a risk than Irish should be.

31. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I don't know if it's the same. Functionally I guess it might be the same. The net effect may be the same. But the issues that lead to a weird drop from Brandon Marshall and the issues I'm talking about with Cordarrelle Patterson are different. Closer to Dez Bryant.

Just a very weird lack of awareness that would be concerning.

32. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    Is it a lack of awareness, or is it just a sign of his inexperience?

33. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Yeah, and that's not a bad trait for GM to get players his coaches like...

34. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    IMO with Patterson you have a guy with very good athletic skills that you hope will develop. I believe that the odds of him being successful at the next level without learning to be a WR that works at his craft are remote (like with 99.9% of WRs). I didn't see much evidence that he was a guy that had already learned to work at his craft. If so then you have to believe that after he gets paid he'll have the maturity, character, etc. to be that guy that develops. Unfortunately, history has shown that the vast majority of WRs don't develop. Personally, for me to take him at #12 I'd have to either believe that he is so special athletically that he's in that .01% that can dominate anyways or that he has the personality to be the type that develops after getting paid. The determination on that personality would probably come from the interview and conversations with his coaches and team mates.

35. ItsDFresh

ItsDFresh Beast Mode

Feb 21, 2013
    New Jersey

I think Jeff has something up his sleeve here. He is not tipping his hand at all. I think all the bs with Jennings and making a hard pursuit of Wallace is all smoke screens. My prediction is that we WILL address this via a trade. I believe it will be Miles Austin, and as long as he doesnt wear #19 for us I will be more than happy.
    Once that is addressed I believe we resign hartline, and draft a WR in the 2nd round hopefully a quinton patton. This will allow us to address the rest of our needs in the draft and add a young WR and a dynamic WR.

36. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Eh, Patterson spoke to the media today and said the usual "expect to be a top 15 pick" and "need to improve route running and recognition" said he has an interview lined up with Ireland later on today.

It's on Mando's blog

37. DrAstroZoom

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    That's probably a better analogy. I still wouldn't throw him out of bed, as the saying goes.

38. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Yeah, I thought about Ansah and Allen as well. I would imagine those two should also be in the mix. I like Allen, but ideally we could get him after a move down, and I still think there is a very good chance we get a vet WR via FA or trade which would decrease the odds on any WR in the 1st round.

39. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    I'd much rather

WR - Patterson
    WR - DaRick Rogers
    WR - Ryan Swope
    WR - Matthews
    TE - Finley
    TE - Chris GRagg
    TE - Clay

QB - Tannehill
    FB - Miller

40. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I see very little chance that Matthews is going to be the senior receiver on the team next season.

Stitches likes this.