1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cam needs to go...........

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by jcthekid, Nov 27, 2007.

1. jcthekid

jcthekid New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Its very difficult to go 0-11 in todays NFL. In a crucial time for this team, where we need somone who can make important decisions, manage his staff well, and prepare for gameday, I don't know how anybody can go further than Cam being a good OC.
    I think I see the offense improving, but we've lost so many close games due to "rookie HC" mistakes. I would rather have an NFL HC learn BEFORE he took one of the top-of-the-ladder positions at his craft.
    Cam needs to go, not for change for change sake....but for change for necessity's sake.

2. sweeper

sweeper New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    cam plays TOOOOO SCARED but i think its b/c he konws we dont have ne talent on offense.

3. wpgfishfan

wpgfishfan Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Too scared? He needs to play more scared amd punt on 4th and 11 and 4th on 15. If we pin Pitt at the 5 we get another decent crack

4. KennyStang

KennyStang Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2007
    I think you have to give him another year. I think the offense has improved. If the offense is composed of 4 parts, the line, the quarterback, the running backs, and the wideouts, I would say that the Dolphins showed improvement in 2 out of 4, and the jury is still out on QB (Beck) and WR (Ginn).

Our failure this year is due to the Defense, a defense that is ranked last or second to last in almost every category needs to be addressed. I would be more interested in replacing Dom Capers, than Cam.

5. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Member

Nov 26, 2007
    No, it "had" improved . . . but it really has taken a step back in recent weeks . . . what is it now since the New England game?

10, 10, 7 and 0? Not so improved if u ask me.

6. fins4o8

fins4o8 Mac FTW!

Nov 25, 2007
    what im pissed about Cam is the fact he hasn't learned **** from all his dumb mistakes throughout the season so far. he continues to make the same mistakes over and over again. from clock management, no sense of urgency, bone-head play calling & wasting of TO's. i understand he is a rookie coach but for the love of god, dont make the same mistakes in every game. you figure someone in his position would adjust & learn from thier mistakes by now.

as much as a part of me thinks he deserves another year, i just dont know anymore. he looks so lost out their that it isnt funny anymore.

7. KennyStang

KennyStang Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2007
    I don't want to make excuses, but looking at the situation, what more could be expected?

The Giants and Steelers games can be explained by the horrible conditions of the field, it's hard to evaluate anything from those two games.

The Philly game last week was pretty bad, but once again you can look at it being Beck's first start and as the QB goes so does the rest of the Offense.

The Bills game was worrisome, Chatman had a great day, Cleo did good... the main culprit was the dropped passes (IMO).

Regardless, we are a bad team, and as I've said before the difference between a good team and a bad team is that good teams find ways to win and bad teams find ways to lose.

Almost every game we have lost this year has been for different reasons, and while Cam's questionable decisions and game management definately have to be examined, I think the majority of the losses are due to factors that Cam either had no chance to address (Defense) or areas that he had been working on since preseason (Offense).

When a team is this bad, it's easy to use the Coach as a scapegoat and call for his head, but no matter how emotional we are about the Dolphins losing, we need to examine the reasons behind our losses to better correct them in the future. Right now I don't the HC is the position we should be worrying about this offseason, I think we should look at our Gerito Squald (Defense) and try to right that ship from the D-Coordinator on down.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
  8. Califin

Califin Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2007
    As far as game management is concerned, its a shame Shula's once revered wealth of game managing expertise, languishes today untapped, in light of these errors.

One of Shula's premier strengths IMO was his sideline savvy, and shrewd game managment that included an astute abilty to work the clock to his advantage.
    It's a skillset Belichick also has refined, and as Shula once did, effectively orchestrates it through his talent at QB, consistently winning numerous, close fourth quarter contests.

9. @@@

@@@ New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    We need to give Cam 1 more season IMO, lets see if Cam and Randy can fix the run defense in the off season and go from there. we've lost 6 games by 3 points or less, we aren't getting blown out every week lets give them next season to turn us around and if we're not close to .500 after that then its time to move on

10. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    "We" don't need to give Cam anything, nor do "we" have that power. The fact is, it's becoming pretty clear that Huizenga, the billionaire who DOES have that power, is getting pretty torqued off at what's happening to his toy and embarrassed by the press his winless team is getting. HE is the one who will pull the trigger, and right now I would have to think he's leaning towards firing someone at season's end.

11. Ducken

Ducken Luxury Box Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    Lower Delaware
    LOLOLOL at this thread. Yes being 0 - 11 hurts real bad, but lets look at the whole picture folks. A whole new offensive system to start the year a defense that went south faster then a snowball going down a steep hill, key injuries to our starting QB, RB, MLB, S,S, + others. From the games I have seen I can't say I have seen the clock miss management. And the lack of urgency..... IMO that can be blamed on lack of good players either they just are not there or through injury. He knows this team better then we do, and if they can't play hurry up or are just not ready for that style then I will defer to Cam.

The last thing we need is to have yet another change at HC and offensive system. This team needs stability and continuity and another good draft. As has been pointed out many many times, this team is so bare of any real talent due to 6 - 8 years of poor drafting this was bound to happen no matter who was HC. An experience HC maybe wins us 1 -2 games so far, but really in the grand sceam of things what would those 2 wins really mean?? Not much if anything, we would still be a piss poor team.

12. Rick 1966

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY

Doesn't matter what you or I think needs to happen. What matters is what Huizenga thinks needs to happen.

13. Ducken

Nov 25, 2007
    Lower Delaware
    That is true, and WH has shown in the past to be patient and I think he will continue to do so with Cam and Randy atleast for 1 more year. I don't believe he will be as patient with Cam as he was Wanny, but he is a smart man and should beable to see that too much went wrong to fully place enough blame on anyone to fire them.

14. Rick 1966

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    The noises he's been making lately lead me to believe he may not be that patient with Cam and Randy. If we go 0-16, I would be willing to bet a few bucks that one or both of them gets fired.

15. arsenal

arsenal Sunglasses and advil

Nov 26, 2007
    Commack, NY
    i just think we need an OC... its been a lot for Cam being both the HC and OC, you can tell by delay of game calls/timeouts with trouble getting plays in on time... with clock management, etc... we NEED an OC desperately...

i vote for Chan Gailey...

16. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

I actually think this is the perfect oppurtunity for Trent Green to step in as OC. He understands Cams offense perfectly....works well with the QB's. And Cam would be able to work with Trent...as opposed to being forced to work with a more experiened OC.

17. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I'm been kind of considering this myself, but I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it. I think this actually has some potential of happening, unlike alot of other "Hay this player was good make him a coach" talk.

We know that the Dolphins wanted to retain Jason Garrett, and even promote him to OC here but we didnt want to give him play calling duties right away. So we know that they arent opposed to grooming an offensive coordinator, and one that was very recently on the roster as a QB to boot.

We also know that the Dolphins are bringing Trent Green to games and giving him a headset, although we dont know in what capacity. Generally speaking, a player on injured reserve doesnt attend games, and if they do it's generally just walking around on the sidelines in home games. There's also the rumor that I believe Pro Football Weekly had about him potentially becoming a coach.

I think Green also has potential in that he's either held a clipboard or played for virtually all the incarnations and big names in the Air Coryell offensive tree. He's played for Norv Turner, he's played for Mike Martz, he's played for Al Saunders and Cam Cameron, and been in a position to pick all their brains.

18. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Yep, this way Cam can still be involved in setting up the offense, Green can make the calls with Cam listening until he gets his feet wet.

19. Ducken

Nov 25, 2007
    Lower Delaware
    Now that is an idea I can get behind. He and Beck seem to have a very good relationship, and Beck has gone to him a lot from what I understand. I think Trent realizes that he is done as a NFL QB and would accept a coaching position with open arms.

20. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Member

Nov 26, 2007
    I doubt they would make Trent Green the OC . . . its more believable that he would be the QB coach at first. The perfect OC for this team would be Cam Cameron . . . question is, who would be the HC then . . . because Cam can't do both . . . its becomming pretty damn obvious.

21. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Cam can't do Head Coach. He proved that in college, and he's proving that in the pro's.

He can go back to San Diego.

22. Ducken

Nov 25, 2007
    Lower Delaware
    You mean that juggernought Indiana, that is a real good example.

23. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    I dont know what to make of Cam as HC. Something tells me to give him the benefit of the doubt so for now I will.

While I think we have some good young talent, I do think reality is proving that we have significant problems as an entire organization that will take time to sort out.

I am not calling for his head at this point until I see changes within the organization and talent that would only leave a change at HC as the final solution. I do think Cam could be the HC that is here when the positives occur.

24. dolphan117

dolphan117 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Personally I think the painful reality is that we just arent a good football team and it takes time to put it together when your team is decimated by injury the way ours has been.

Has Cam made mistakes? Sure he has, I think the 4th and 15 was an awful call.... But you know what? He is a rookie HC and there should be an expected learning curve there, I can live with a little bit of that as long as he proves he can coach in other areas..... And I'm willing to give him a little more time to prove if he can do that. With Trent Green this offense could actually move the ball at times, Ronnie was set to have a Career year, and I felt the best about out offense that I have in some time.

Green goes down, Ronnie goes down, Cleo proves to be a decent backup and nothing more, and while Chatman runs with as much heart as any back I have seen and I love him to death you just cant do the same things with him that Ronnie gives you. Especially in the pass blocking and receiver phases.

I think we all may have been a little quick (including me) to call for Capers head. The last 3 weeks or so since we have ended our weekly season ending injury to a defensive player string our defense has started to improve quite a bit. Young guys are developing and Porter is finally stepping into his role..... Sometimes it just takes time for a unit to gain some cohesion when it has a bunch of injures, especially when your backups aren't that good.

We are down to a Rookie QB (whom I like but he's still a rookie) a 2nd string rb, without our number 1 receiver (good long term value but it hurts now) without a consistent TE, starting a rookie wr, and our ever reliable Marty Booker has developed the butter fingers. The offense just has a way to go IMO, and that's just reality. Its sucks but no amount of wishing is going to change it and IMO a coaching change wont either.

I'm not saying Cam has been perfect because he certainly hasn't, but IMO he deserves 2 years (as does just about any coach stepping into a bad football team) to prove whether or not he can get it done as a HC. In the end the answer may be no, he may simply be a great OC and a bad HC a la Norve Turner...... But I think given time and some more talent he will prove to be pretty good.

Maybe that's just my rose colored glasses but its my opinion for whatever its worth.

25. dolphan117

Nov 24, 2007
    Exactly how I feel Big Dog, good to see you man, I was wondering just the other day where you went.

The good thing about the offense is that I really think we have an offensive line we can keep together for a while with minimal changes, (one guy maybe?) along with a QB in Beck and some pretty good options at RB between Ronnie and Ricky though we will probably lose Chatman in FA which will be a shame.... The concern for me is the receivers. Ginn I love but other then that? Booker is not displaying the consistency he used to, Hagan is consistent in his drops, and Martin is turning out to be not so special. We have some real holes at WR and TE IMO and until we either get more talent or those guys step it up its going to be hard for this offense....

Which is where I think the Chambers trade really hurt us shot term. I mean for as much heat as Chambers took when did this offense start to die? Wasn't it around the same time we traded Chris? I still like the trade, I really do. Good long term value, but I said it at the time that it might set back the offense more then people expect and IMO it has. I love me some extra second rounders though.

26. dolphan117

Nov 24, 2007
    And one other thing that I think deserves to be at least mentioned with regards to not punting in the 4th and 15 is that Brandon Fields may have played into it. He has not been very good at all the last little while and had some brutal punts last night. Depending on what he is doing in practice Cam may have simply had no confidence in putting him out there to try to pin em inside the 10. I still don't agree with the call but I figured it was worth throwing out there.

Unfortunately if that did play into Cams thinking I very much doubt he is going to say as much in his PC. Gotta protect the young players a little.

27. thedayafter

thedayafter New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    If you had scales to determine the positives and negatives of Cams tenure to date... it would be heavily weighted to the negative.. imo.

The troubling issue remains the fact he fails to make adjustments even when it's long obvious his initial decisions are flawed.... and the fact that he repeats the process...

I for one don't think Cam is going anywhere... I had reservations about his abilities.. and he's done nothing to dispell them...

28. Texphinphan

Texphinphan Season Ticket Holder

Nov 25, 2007
    I think that if this team goes 0-16 then Cam is very much on the line. While I agree with the sentiment that one year is usually not enough to judge a coach by, 0-16 is unprecedented.

The other problem will be that we probably will not be very good next year either. Then you have a coach who went 0-16 and then say, 6-10. That is tough on an owner especially when the fan base is going ballistic.

If I was advising Wayne, I would be making some quiet inquiries into the interest/availability of some old war horses such as Schottenheimer/Cowher/Parcells to gauge interest. Not saying I would hire them, but would want to see what my options are. If we truly in rebuild mode, which I believe we are, then having some quality experience at HC is invaluable.

29. fins4o8

fins4o8 Mac FTW!

Nov 25, 2007
    i said the same thing earlier but differently. that is the problem, if through 11 wks he hasn't learned from his mistakes, what makes you think he will ever?

i can understand we want stability and all. if we dump Cam and get another coach then our team will have to learn a new system and all, but if we get a Coach and he hires an OC that runs a similar system as Cam, then it isnt a new system. just different terminology. of course, im not saying we should fire cam but so far im leaning towards it as each week passes by.

30. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    This sums up our season-to-date quite well:

Dolphins Losing Streak Glance

RESULTS: WON 0, LOST 11
    Sept. 9 -- L 13-16 at Washington (Cam Cameron loses NFL head coaching debut)
    Sept. 16 -- L 20-37 Dallas (0-2 for the third time in four years)
    Sept. 23 -- L 28-31 at New York Jets (Failed to protect a lead for third straight week)
    Sept. 30 -- L 17-35 Oakland (First time since 1995 Dolphins allowed at least 30 points in three consecutive games)
    Oct. 7 -- L 19-22 at Houston (QB Trent Green suffered concussion)
    Oct. 14 -- L 31-41 at Cleveland (QB Cleo Lemon made his first start of year)
    Oct. 21 -- L 28-49 New England (0-7 for the first time in its 42-year history)
    Oct. 28 -- L 10-13 New York Giants (Ronnie Brown placed on IR before trip to London)
    Nov. 11 -- L 10-13 Buffalo (Fifth loss by three points)
    Nov. 18 -- L 7-17 at Philadelphia (QB John Beck made his NFL debut)
    Nov. 26 -- L 0-3 at Pittsburgh (In Mud Bowl, 6th loss by 3 pts)

31. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    A lot of close loses!:surrender:

32. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    A lot of Loses!:(