1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cam Newton-Vince Young comparison unfair

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by xphinfanx, Oct 9, 2012.

1. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000078905/article/cam-newtonvince-young-comparison-unfair
    Glad we didn't spend a dime or a pick on Vince Young.

Newton is going threw some growing pains but i think he will have a much better career than Vince young.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    I don't see the comparisons at all. Newton is much more talented.

3. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    I'm sure both of them being black has nothing to do with this comparison at all.

dolfan32323 and unluckyluciano like this.
  4. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Vince Young was far more talented in my eyes. It's just sad to me he didn't have the stable head for it. I see Cam burning out honestly. I don't like the way he plays the game...I don't see him being successful long term. You can't rely on pure physical ability forever. At some point you need elite QB skills....which Cam I don't think has.

It's not color related either before anyone goes there. Vince Young was my favorite QB prospect in a long time when he came out. I was also like 16 though and I don't think my analysis of that should count against me :lol:

5. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    For all the comparison and discussion about Newton, has anyone pointed out that he is in his 2nd year, one that quarterbacks typically take a step back in due to expansion of the offense (in my opinion, at least)?

I think both are equally stubborn as passers. However, I think it stops there.

Anonymous likes this.
  6. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008

Well, the Althlete-QB prototypes are black... Kind of hard not too. Tom Brady isn't exactly running the spread option up here in New England...

College is producing more and more Athlete-QB prototype prospects. None of them have succeeded long term (including our own Pat White). Anytime these Athlete-QB prototypes arrives in the NFL, they're going to compared to the ones who came before. I would note that one reason Ryan Mallett fell in the draft, was because NFL GM's had a hard time projecting his personality to success in the NFL. There's never been anyone like him who succeeded. Comparing players of similar ilk is what the NFL does... It has nothing to do with race. And even if he did, it's certainly fair to say the pool of athlete-QB prototypes to compare against are mostly black. Maybe you're surprised apples aren't getting compared with oranges? The only other two white Athlete-QB prototypes in the modern era (and I honestly don't think one qualifies for the "modern era" anymore) are Steve Young and Tim Tebow.

Steve Young has nothing on Vick, Newton, or Young in terms of athleticism. And Steve Young was a total system QB. Tim Tebow has a million and one nut huggers, but let's be honest... Nobody really thinks he's good. We all know he's a terrible QB and a mediocre athlete (NFL standards, not college). He hasn't played long enough or done anything worth noting to be a comparison to a guy like Cam. It would be arbitrary...

There are plenty of reasons why the Vince Young/Cam Newton comparison's can be made from personality problems, physical abilities, rookie success vs. second year struggles, college system, NFL system, etc...

In fact, not just VY, but Michael Vick might be even better. After Michael Vick came back to start in 2010, he had a great overall statistical season. However, towards the end of the year, he finished out with 11TD/7int. Plenty of his other stats went down too during those final few games of his. And when you look closer, that Washington game (6 tds) really skewed the stats in his favor. Same happened to Cam Newton at the end of last year. He started struggling more and didn't finish strong down the stretch. Mike Vick's problems have persisted ever since. He hasn't come close to replicating his early 2010 success. Cam is currently following the same pattern. This comparison has to do with skill set relevance not race. Cam and Vick just happen to be black.

*To be clear, I'm not willing to close out the book on Cam Newton. What he did as a rookie was insane. 5 Games into year 2 doesn't change that for me. He's only had 1 real year of college and 1 real year of the NFL. From all accounts, his work ethic is ridiculously high. There are plenty of good QB who've had good early years and taken a step back at some point early on within there first few years (Matt Ryan, Bradford, Eli Manning, Peyton, Big Ben, Elway, etc...). Hell, Rivers just did it last year... I think he'll bounce back at some point this year, and ride the momentum into next year. At least he better, I drafted him in round 1 of my fantasy league!

Anyway, point being, there's plenty of reasons to compare Cam to the other athlete-QB prototypes. Being black is hardly the reason.

Ludacris and xphinfanx like this.