1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camp Report for Defense (short)

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Ozzy, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

OK lets do some Defense. I concentrated a little more on the Offensive today but also watched some D-line and some Lb's and very little with the Secondary. Although to note. Bell, and Allen were the starting Safeties. It was just a little rough trying to do this without pen and paper which is something I'll never do.... because on almost every play I had to look down at the roster to see what player made the play. I'll get it though...

Vonnie Holiday is now the RDE, and he did his share of showing the young rookie that it's a different world in the NFL. I give Long a ton of credit for his efforts today but Holiday gave him some fits at times.

Ferguson overheated and was led off the field at about mid practice. Rutro! Coming from Dallas you would think he'd be ok in this environment but I guess that ocean air got to him. Hopefully he'll be fine because he is quite a load out there.

I won't get on Soliai's case yet. I see glimpses of being one heck of a DT but at times, he seems to take plays off. On one play, he just dove at the feet of the Center, and made no contact at all. In one on one drills he was showing a nice swim move and constantly pushing whomever was in front of him backwards.

Rod Wright showed an excellent undercutting swim move and BURST into the backfield between the RT, and RG. He was tripped at the last second though but it would have been a sack.

Kendall Langford is one tall dude. He looks to be a perfect fit at DE in the 2 gap 3/4 scheme. He gets plenty of push and was always disrupting the run on his side of the ball.

Mat Roth has bulked up a bit for sure. He was getting some push off the snap but never got a sack. He also lined up at Lb twice, and broke up a pass once.

Phillip Merling is another monster. He was backing up Holiday and I think he's going to be a player. He caught Ricky a little off guard and knocked him flat on his butt. He moves down the line very well, and when Ricky cutback into the lane, Merling was steam rolling right at him. Nothing Ricky could do but take that hit and say ouch.

Lb's

Charlie Anderson took JT's spot at Lb today, and he looks pretty good. He's pretty fast, and fills the gaps well in run support.

Quenton Moses was over on the side where Joey Porter would be. He was switching in and out with Akin Ayodele.

Crowder is looking in excellent shape as usual.

It was good to see Edmond Miles out there and contributing on defense and on special teams.

I also took notice of Kelvin Smith. He was pretty stout against the run, and doing a nice job in pass protections.

I don't know how we all got our last names given to us back in the day but I do know there are two people who should be ashamed that they did. Giving someone the name Pappinga? And Derilek? I'd like to thank the person or persons who made my last name right now!!

Ok now one thing they did today was split up the defense into three sections. For the most part this was a prep drill for FG's. The lineman were shown to just push and hold their gaps on one side of the field, then on the other they had the Lb's splitting blocking dummies, and the secondary was practicing splitting, and jumping thru two blocking dummies. Each and every player had to raise his hand up right on contact and keep it there. They went like this for about 10 minutes then lined them all up together against the offense. It started out a little messy but after a few plays you could tell there was a madness to this method. Now I'm not saying look for this team to block a FG or two, or a punt for that matter, but they sure are working on it.

Another cool drill they did was with the Lb's. They had a Qb dummy out there and were going thru rep after rep of sacking the Qb from the behind him, or the blindside. All tackles were to be made while bringing their outside arm down on where the Qb's throwing arm would be then wrapping him up. It's the first time I've seen this drill used at Dolphins Camp. The last time I saw it was a long time ago when Don Soldinger (former UM Rb/ST Coach) was coaching High School. This shows me they plan on blitzing a lot....

I know I forgot a few things so if there are any questions feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer them...

2. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Great write-up again Ozzy, thanks! Appreciate it.

Disappointed with Solai :pity:.

Ozzy likes this.
  3. m ino

m ino New Member

Jul 20, 2008
    ncie write up and apreciate it oz..i especially liked the last bit about the lb drills and bringing in ray lucas to help out the team in some way. keep em coming.

Ozzy likes this.
  4. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Was that Moses playing ILB, or Ayodele playing OLB?

Also, by any chance did you note if the linemen were heads up or staggered over gaps to any extent?

Ozzy likes this.
  5. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Great Read!

Ozzy likes this.
  6. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I'm pretty sure it'd have to have been Moses because Sparano mentioned that Ayodele and Crowder started at the 2 ILB spots today. He also mentioned Rob Ninkovich and Junior Glymph getting some looks, but that Moses would be the guy if Porter is out for longer than expected.

7. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

They were switching in and out at the same spot.... OLB

It looked like a standard heads up 2 gap for the most part but I will take notice of it more and more.

8. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Thanks a bunch, I need to make it out there at some point.

[​IMG]

Certainly looks like it, heh.

9. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Nice Ozzy, hope it was touch cooler in the evening.

Don't sleep on my man Rob Ninkovich...:up:

Ozzy likes this.
  10. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    DAMN. :eek:

11. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    meh:wink2:

OLB or ILB?

12. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    OTA reports was OLB, it seems kinda curious to me they are still putting him there after having him bulk up and be a starting 3-4 DE.

Ozzy likes this.
  13. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    dude, he looks like a giant version of zach thomas

14. calphin

calphin deadly at 250 yards!!

Nothin but the best........thanks ozzy!

15. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    great read yet again Oz. awesome write up/report. Glad to hear roth is looking good out there, for a while i was fearing he may be cut.

Also very nice to hear some positives on langford and merling!!!

16. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Nice to hear about Merling doing some snot-knocking. I guess we should assume he's good to go. Great news.