1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can Beck Turn Stumbling Stone Into Building Block?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Georgia Fin, May 28, 2008.

1. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    Last edited: May 28, 2008
    alen1 likes this.
  2. SCall13

SCall13 ThePhins QB

If he's ruined after last year he has no sack, IMO. If only 4 games ruins him, then it wasn't the four games - it will be because he just doesn't have it. Look what Troy Aikman endured with Dallas in his rookie season. You not only have to have skills, but you also have to have the psyche to press through tough situations and the ability to persevere. That's what we have to see from John Beck.

Last edited: May 29, 2008
    WharfRat and HULKFish like this.
  3. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia

Very true, look at Peyton, they threw him to the wolves his first two years and he turned out alright. It's just hard for me to buy into all the talk, let's see it on hte field.:up:

4. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
  5. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    hopefully he can learn from his mistakes, forget about them and move on and recover nicely this year. He needs to, or he may find himself playing elsewhere, if anywhere.

6. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    After some of the stuff he went through as BYU's starting QB, I doubt something like this would even touch him, let alone effect him that much.

7. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    The key difference is that Peyton showed some flashes during his rookie year. True, he made rookie mistakes, but he also moved the ball effectively. John Beck showed very little. But in his defense, he saw much less playing time than Peyton during his rookie campaign. Hopefully he can make it happen. If not, that's why we have McCown and Henne on deck.

8. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

The upside to this in my mind is that if Beck does overcome that rookie season, which I truly hope he does, then we'll know he has the mental strength to overcome almost any situation and should expect him to be a solid QB for us for many years.

9. SuncoastFinsFan

SuncoastFinsFan Banned

Apr 12, 2008
    The good news is that he'll be in a much better situation to succeed. One, he does have some experience to draw on. Two, the Oline will be better. Three, I think the focus of Hennings offense will be to run the ball...and run it well. Four, potentially our best weapon, Teddy Ginn, should be a more polished WR and be able to give us something in the passing game. Give me a QB with a year under his belt, a decent Oline and running game, and I'll show you a QB that has every opportunity to succeed.

Now to be sure, he was not good last year, even for a rookie. But in the situation, its hard to imagine a rookie finding a way to shine.

Either way, I think that next year the QB situation will be somewhat settled.

10. HULKFish

HULKFish Artist and Scribe

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    I have the feeling that this guy will pan-out. Just a gut feeling. I think he has the attributes; athletic, good arm, accuracy, confidence and faith. His nerves are the only thing that may dissuade him. If he can overcome his stage-fright he'll be aight...

11. PhiNomina

PhiNomina White-Collar Redneck

Dec 21, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Not to mention he will hopefully have a few games of decent weather. Two of his games last year (Philly and Pitt) were in such bad weather we really didn't get a chance to see if the kid had anything or not. Cincy was against their scrubs and the Jets game he looked terrible. So we have a pretty terrible sample of his play.

I am definitely cheering for him, he seems like the exact type of hard working guy you want to lead your team, but I don't think we have any idea of what kind of QB he will be.

12. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    not only that but the article failed to mention that some of the players around him had given up on the season and given up on being a miami dolphin, basically sabatoged by some teammates.

I dont think any QB that has ever lived would of been sucessful on that team that i watched last year...utterly pathetic play and effort from all positions except for a few.

John Beck is gonna be a star

13. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    I agree that Ted Ginn is and will be a weapon, but I think RB and RWs will be the real weapons. With a new, stronger and youthfull offensive line and better coaching, RB and RWs could be what a lot of us envisioned, a two headed monster. If the running game develops then everything else will fall in place and it will open it up for our QB and all of the receivers. Having a QB with the ability to run on occasion will also give the offense another option and another worry for the opposing defense. Of course this is JMO but I hope it happens.

14. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Also all the snaps! John Beck was running the scout team until right before he started. Even with no QB behind him. therefore if Cleo went down, we would have inserted a QB into the game with no reps or practice.

Yeah we were destined to succeed last year.