1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can Miami ride the defense into the play-off?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by the 23rd, Aug 7, 2011.

1. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    I liked the question posted on the home page. I think the Miami Dolphins can ride this defense into the play-offs if Chad Henne manages the Miami Offense in a reasonable fashion with the up-graded talent surrounding him in 2011.

the biggest issue will be the offensive line. fortunately, this plays to Sparano's strength. I think the Center & BookEnds are set & the most athletic will prevail @ the right & left Guard.
    Could end up any way but my best guess would be:
    Long-Garner-Pouncey-Incognito-Carey (Murtha entering @ H-Back or blocking TE in specified formations)
    if they get the OL right, our run-first offense will prevail, then Henne will need to get the ball out fast & on the numbers. hopefully, if we're pounding the ball, the pressure will be off & Henne calm down & get it right this year.

the team appears to be poised to make a play-off run, even if Henne is not the franchise future but can minimize turn-overs & move the ball through the air in a consistent & yeoman-like fashion. it's shaping up to be an interesting, if not post-season year for Miami.

smahtaz likes this.
  2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Who knows? Thing of this schedule is how many of the 3rd place teams that we play will be on the upswing, and how many will be simply crumbling under poor mgmnt/lack of talent?

Bpk likes this.
  3. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    the answer lies in our resolve to win not in the schedule. our personal effort is the only variable we control. the talent is right for the first time in decades. Jay Fiedler could lead this team to a SuperBowl if the cards fell our way.
    I've got to believe that Chad Henne will step up enough in 2011 to get us to the playoffs. this team is loaded, we cannot afford to miss this opportunity.

Aquafin, HULKFish and MikeHoncho like this.
  4. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 19, 2007
    I really think our defense has the potential to be dominating and even better than the Jets, the key will be turnovers, turnovers, turnovers, as it usually is, but more so for us because our offense might not have that much room for error. If we can run the ball effectively and keep the turnovers down minimally, our defense CAN carry us into the playoffs. They are the biggest reason I am pretty optimistic going into this season.

ToddsPhins and GMJohnson like this.
  5. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Carey has been moved to guard. No reason to believe he will be moved back outside. I'll bet my bottom dollar you never seen Murtha play H-Back. Maybe as an inline TE in short yardage/goal line situations, but never H-Back.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  6. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    No. Football doesn't work that way unless you have an all-decade generational defense. We're talking 2000 Ravens, 2002 Bucs, 2009 Steelers type defense. Even if you had one of those defenses, you still need above average QB play to take advantage of the opportunities that sort of defense provides.

We have a good defense with a chance to be elite, but it's far from the sort of defense needed to carry a team in any significant fashion.

Aquafin likes this.
  7. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    personally, I have never seen Murtha play H-Back or Blocking TE, however, I read that he has experience in high school and/or college playing both positions. have also read that he is very quick, with exceptional speed for such a large man & has very good hands... given that we will be a run-first offense, I'm speculating on the possibility of using him in these capacities.

everything is speculation, they may not move Carey to tackle but keep him @ guard. anybody can be beaten out of a start, it's all about competition. having said that, it makes no sense to me to stick with such a move. he is an elite right tackle that can play left tackle if needed. why fix what is not broken? I believe he will return to right tackle in the starting line-up. Carey is a proven bull.

Sparano recently said in an interview he would start the five most athletic/best linesmen, the discovery of that combination could be the reason he's shifting people around, including Carey to guard. I posted what appears to me @ this point to be a reasonable start:
    Long-Garner-Pouncey-Incognito-Carey (Murtha entering @ H-Back or blocking TE in specified formations)

nothing is written in stone, just one posters' opinion

8. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I think he said he'd start the best five linemen not the five most athletic linemen. If it was about the most athletic Murtha would probably be your RT. This team likes to have it's LT be a tremendous run-blocker, chances are they want that out of their RT too.

Ray Willis is a guy who if he holds up in pass blocking, they'll seriously look at. It's also why Nate Garner probably isn't the best candidate at RT.

the 23rd likes this.
  9. MrClean

Yeah, the starting 5 is still a little up in the air. If I had to guess today, I'd say left to right Long/Carey/Pouncey/Incognito/Murtha.
    IMO, Colombo's pass blocking will be his downfall and it is a fair bet he does not even make the 53 man roster.
    For reserves, I'd guess we keep 4 and based on today's roster, I'd say Garner, Berger, Barbre, due to them all be versatile, with Jerry on a short lease, getting one more season to justify his draft status.

Coral Reefer likes this.
  10. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Response to the OP: Does Rex Ryan have trouble finding his willie?

11. mommabilly

mommabilly No riders allowed

May 3, 2010
    I can say for sure that Murtha never played H back or TE at Nebraska. He was no different there, basically got by on his size and athletic ability but never put much time into perfecting any type of technique. The kid uses the skills given to him but does nothing, nor ever did, anything to climb the next rung on the ladder. Kinda like a kid that is not dumb and knows he only needs a B to pass and when he achieves that mark he stops trying. Thats Murtha. As some said, IF they find another OT that can beat him out he may not even be active on game day. Right now I can not tell you who is better, Murtha, Columbo or this new guy Willis. I am pretty sure Carey is staying at Guard though. Outside of him and Incognito we have no one else on the team capable of being a starting NFL guard. No, Garner is not one either. Jerry still does not impress me and Feinga is strictly backup/game day inactive material. This new kid DJ Jones is pretty interesting. Joe Berger can only play center. Thats abou it. IMO

MrClean likes this.
  12. mommabilly

May 3, 2010
    Only thing up in the air about the starting 5 is who is going to play RT. Mix and choose all you want but its Long, Incognito ,Pouncey and Carey. Sure they may switch Cog and Carey but there is no one on this team that is better then those two at the guard postion.

13. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    obviously, everything is still up in the air
    having said that
    I expect a tentative line to emerge near the end of training camp & tested in preseason.
    this is a critical component of our success in 2011. got to get it right or everything will go wrong

14. huck1974

huck1974 FU Gene Steratore

Mar 22, 2008
    Missouri
    Kinda like the domination of the Orca 5 or whatever that was?
    You are right though. Nothing is set in stone. It is pretty clear at this point that Carey is playing guard unless there is epic failure somewhere.

15. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    right on both points:
    1) nothing is written in stone, everything subject to change
    2) it is like the Orca-5, in as much as, we won the division riding on their backs & we will need another Orca-5 to win it again

the OL will be a critical component to our success in 2011

get the push & we run the ball, opening the pass
    open the pass & we dominate the clock, keeping our defense fresh
    fresh defense & we grind them into the ground

must get the OL right or everything will go wrong in 2011

16. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    No.

If the D only allows 10 that's pretty damn good; but if the O can only score 9, it's gonna be a loss every time.

The awesome D of the '85 Bears had Walter Payton and Willie Gault scoring on the other side from Jim McMahon having a career year. They didn't win on D alone. No team ever has. You have to be able to score when you need to.

Aquafin and Desides like this.
  17. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    the OL will be a critical component to our success in 2011

get the push & we run the ball, opening the pass
    open the pass & we dominate the clock, keeping our defense fresh
    fresh defense & we grind them into the ground

must get the OL right or everything will go wrong in 2011

18. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I think in today's NFL you can still ride a dominating defense into the playoffs. The Jets are living proof of that. But I don't think you can make it much further on just defense alone. The rules of today's NFL favor the teams with the strongest offenses.

19. mommabilly

May 3, 2010
    Barring injury, Lord forbid, the only thing up in the air is who is the RT. Long, Incognito, Pouncey , Carey are in. RT ? Still to be discovered

20. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    That and it is a tough way to try and win as it requires 60 minutes of high performance from the defense and I'm not sure we have reached that stage..yet.

And I'm focused on special teams as well, the upcoming Atlanta game will be a huge test for that as Keith Armstrong is one of the top ST coaches in the NFL, I want to see how that unit performs.

21. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    well...... Gates is our Gault; Lex is our Walter; and Tony is our sun glass wearer..... soooo there!!

22. MrClean

I agree with you Billy, which is why I said "a little up in the air." We know for sure Long at LT and Pouncey at C, and Carey and Richie are the two guards. The little still undetermined is which one plays LG and which plays RG, as well as who will be the RT.

Right now, it could be any of Colombo, Murtha, Garner, Barbre or even Willis. If I had to put money on which of those 5, I'd lay a dollar on it being Murtha, but nothing more. :)

23. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

Could be.

Soliai came into camp with something to prove after competing during the offseason with his friend and fellow franchise tag player Ngata in Utah. Burnett is a huge upgrade to Crowder if stats mean anything and it looks like Jones has passed Clemons on the depth chart. If W Allen is healthy, he’s another big upgrade over Sapp.

Still way too early to tell but I think these guy have a chance to be dominant.

I’m not sure why you switched the topic to the OL.

If Jake’s ready to go to start the season the OL will be fine.

An OL of Long, Incognito, Pouncey and Carey only need 1 more guy to step up and man the RT spot out of Garner, Murtha, Kopa, Jones, Columbo and Willis. From what I’ve read at camp Murtha is handling Jake’s spot admirably. I don’t know enough about OL play to say he can play both sides.

From what I can tell, it’s all up to Henne.

24. MrClean

Lex is closer to our Walter Sobchak than our Walter Payton. :shifty:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Trowa, Pandarilla and ToddsPhins like this.
  25. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin Active Member

I believe it's 17 points that the offense must average to win a NFL. I remember the Buc's Warren Sapp saying that.

26. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

If Henne has a QBR above 85 we're in the playoffs.

Of course, if Marc Columbo plays RT Henne may have trouble accomplishing that.

ToddsPhins and Dolphins1Beatles like this.
  27. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    Well the Jets did in 2009. We'll need a strong running game though, and some luck. Hope we can rely on the run so Henne doesn't have a chance to throw late INTs with the game on the line. That's one reason I think they should sign Ricky, more running weapons. Speedy, creative Bush with Young and hopefully great Thomas with veteran who can still go in Ricky. I'd like that.

And let's hope the D can get turnovers. Some pick 6's would be nice!

28. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Those were SB defenses.... The question was can we get into the playoffs with this D.
    Plus the offense might be better than some might think.,

29. mommabilly

May 3, 2010
    Do not know much about Willis so right now, I have to say the RT will either be Columbo or Murtha. I know many looooove Garner here but believe me, the guy is not a starter, not at all. Very good backup but no way a starter. Now, Willis may come on or someone else that is found in the rubble of OTs out there. Like I said in another post. These FA that signed this year only started practice Thursday and most of that was walk thru crap. I am in no way freaking out because I know someone will either step up or be found.

30. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Why couldn't the Dolphins ride the defense into the playoffs?

Baltimore
    Pittsburgh
    Chicago
    Tampa Bay
    Carolina

These are/were teams that went to the playoffs whose success was based on their defenses and of that short list there, I do believe all of them were Super Bowl Champions.

The old adage holds true. Offense wins you games, but defense wins championships.

31. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    You've been cranking out the big lebowski references the past few days.

I approve.

MrClean likes this.
  32. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    2007 Steelers or 2009 Steelers? 2009 Steelers win had a lot more to do with the offense.

Also, Panthers lost to the Pats

33. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Do not overlook ST, me and Rafi have went round and round on this one, but a team needs every edge they can find when trying to win that way.

My one caution for this theory is last yr the defense was good, does it mean this yr the defense will be as good as well? Not always teams can fall off.

34. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 message board ******* Club Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Only mistake I see is asking Henne to "manage" and play conservative..he is never going to be Pennington he needs to have a lot less conservative play calling to be successful and let him TRY to win the game instead of not losing the game...jmo.

35. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    simple truth, forever football reality:
    to get to the Superbowl you must have an elite offensive line
    it's the foundation all teams are quietly built upon

this is a critical component to success in any game. got to get the offensive line right or everything will ultimately go wrong

36. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    No.....the defense isn't that good where this could happen.....

37. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    got to get the offensive line right or everything will ultimately go wrong

with an elite offensive line:

1) the run opens, opening passing lanes as the defense moves up to stop it.
    2) the pass game comes alive, allowing us to dominate the clock & maximizing our opportunity to score
    3) the defense enters the game hyped-up, uninjured & well rested, ready to devastate the oppositions' offense

it all begins up front with the BigUglies

38. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house

NaboCane you are 100% right .

I dont understand the lets focus on defense crowd. our defense has not been the problem its been the offense and the inability to pass the darn ball

Its my belief that Miami had a super bowl caliber team when we had Welker, Chambers , Donald Lee , and Ricky but wwe were good that year we lost to the pats we had derick Rodgers, Zach , Bowens and I think Surtain, Brock Marion, and My main man Sam Madison.

the bottom line is No , A defense cant carry a team when your special teams have big issues and you cant throw the ball just refer to the oakland playoff game .

NaboCane likes this.
  39. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    It would suck if Miami lost the superbowl next year.

40. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Really got off topic here....The question was "Can this team ride the D into the playoffs?"

My answer is that we just simply don't know yet.

ILB - Let's say we improved the ILB with Burnett (I'm not totally convinced about that. Crowder wasn't as bad as many here seem to think and the stats between the two were pretty close). Outside of the starters, we have Edds, Spears and Trusnik and a bunch of other more or less camp fodder guys.

OLB - Wake has taken that next step, he may even get a little better. Misi showed some promise and was at least solid, he should improve, but that's just a guess. JT will add some versatility in a limited role. Who else is there ?? Spitler ??

S - Have we improved the S positions ?? They were mediocre to poor last year. Some of that had to do with guys developing, but if you look at the really good D's, they tend to feature a dominant S...we don't have that yet. Are Jones, Culver, Clemons or Nolan dominant or even indicating from their play last season that they are on the cusp of that ?? I didn't see that.

CB - VD and SS look like a pair to be reckoned with, but have they really arrived ?? Davis might be a bit further along, but has he shown to be dominant ?? Smith had a tendency to digress some, or at least not really get better as the season went on. Allen is coming off an injury and age is creeping up on him...If he can man the 3rd CB spot, and the other two can improve we will be set. What about injury ??

So, just like the O, there are several things that have to happen in order for this to become a 'dominant' D. It is good. It has been improving. It isn't dominant. No, at this point, I don't see us riding the D into the playoffs unless the O improves in buckets. That could happen, the odds are against either, but if things fall into place...

You just never know...