1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can we end this stadium debate once and for all?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Bumrush, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Hate to crap on the DJ crusade but JRS is FINE. We haven't had an exciting product on the field since Marino, and even the last 5 years of Marino were more ground and pound borefests.

The announcers during the broadcast said JRS was the loudest game they have been to all year. As I've said before, a packed UM-FSU game at JRS was as loud as any sporting event I've been too. Read MMQB with Peter King, even he commented on how loud JRS felt.

Our fanbase is as diehard as they come. I for one was very frustrated with the lack of support, but I knew the strength of this franchise when you watched road games. We have fans from all over the country. Now this pent up rage after constant suffering is building up... And we can and will reclaim our homefield. It only took us nearly several decades to generate an offense worth cheering for.

If Ross gets to renovate the stadium I'm all for it - But if it doesn't happen, lets realize that we the fans give the Dolphins home field advantage, not the layout of the stadium.

This stadium is going to rock like never before when the Jets come to town.

Ozzy and xphinfanx like this.
  2. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    Hell f*** no. Marino was a god. It may be generational but to me nobody will ever overtake Marino.

I was also 7 years old when he entered the league so I grew up admiring him..

It would be like you liking a WR more than Chambers :D

3. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Just think of how much louder it would be in a better venue.

Mainge, CWBIII, Alex13 and 9 others like this.
  4. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    I saw pictures where it looked pretty damned empty yesterday.....not sure what the actual attendance #'s were. I take what commentators say with a grain of salt. Doubt it was one of the loudest based on Guinness book of world records that KC, SEA, NO were all trying to set from decibel standpoint this season.

also, I definitely heard NE fans chanting "LETS GO DEFENSE" on MIAMI"s drive coming loud and clear from TV broadcast. So....

P.S. One SB, I give to best Team (not Tannehill) over any Marino team (and 1985 loss to NE still pisses me off where we could have faced CHI in SB). But 2 SB, I personally would give the nod to Tannehill if he was MVP of both, etc. 3 SB titles no doubt move over Marino.

Bpk and Da 'Fins like this.
  5. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Yes.

6. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Couldn't pay me to go inside that stadium.

7. mcdave21

mcdave21 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Apr 25, 2013
    I live in WV and I try to get into that stadium as often as I can get down there. Which as least once a year, sometimes twice and I love it tbh.

8. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    The stadium still sucks from a viewing standpoint. The seats are still freaking far from the field. We can still get it loud... but that doesn't make the viewing experience any better...

The tickets I'd have to buy in the upper bowl (still can't afford those) are FAR from the field. No stadium upgrade can bring those closer...

Tin Indian, dolfan22 and Da 'Fins like this.
  9. Finrunner

Finrunner Season Ticket Holder

Dec 11, 2007
    That question should be a thread unto itself. Else, hijacking begins... so I'll refrain for now.

Bpk likes this.
  10. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Yeh..I gotta be honest..for me its a competitive thing. I want the best team in the NFL..and at the very least..the best stadium in the division. Right now..we best Rich..and that's it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

11. jpep13

jpep13 Coach Of The Year Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Nothing like the Orange Bowl, Build another one!

12. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    stadium is not fine. the layout is not fine. it's far from okay.

13. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    It may not be ideal but we are not going anywhere. The crowd at the stadium can determine that advantage, not supposed acoustics or seating. If we continue to win this debate will be moot.

14. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    To be fair as fans you are -supposed- to be quiet on offense. Of course you can hear the Patriot fans but we outnumbered them greatly.

15. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    We can win a superbowl bro it doesn't make the atmosphere at the stadium any less 'meh' like it has been.

it's meh for a reason. and alot of those reasons are correctable/upgradeable.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  16. Griese's Glasses

Griese's Glasses Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Ottawa, ON
    Whoa. I love Tannehill (can't you tell?) but Marino and Griese are legends that will never be surprised in Dolphins history book. Equaled? Maaaaybe. But never surpassed.

17. Loyal Fin

Loyal Fin Business as usual

Mar 22, 2008
    South Florida
    Ive said it so many times.....its not the fans, or the noise.......its the tourist location that brings a lot of visitor fans and the stadium.

The stadium's layout and structure are clunky and not modernized. Pretty sure it ranks very low on general NFL expierence and thats not the fans fault.

You get tired of hearing crap about Miami dolphin fans when uve met as many great fans as i have. Infact, its pretty ignorant to generalize an areas fanbase because major cities have so many kinds of people.

djphinfan likes this.
  18. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    The stadium was actually packed and the drunk Patriots fans were grossly outnumbered.

19. jboogie

jboogie The sky is NOT falling!

Areed, that needs it's on thread, great quesion!

20. Loyal Fin

Loyal Fin Business as usual

Mar 22, 2008
    South Florida
    Only people that actually go to the games could know this. Those that dont seem to not understand the concept of CONSESSIONS, Bathrooms, bars, walking around...

If 72,000 people were in that huge block of land, at most 13,000 were wearing blue. Its effing Miami in December, what would a reasonable person without an agenda rationalize?

21. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    It's a fine stadium, but they really do need to move seats closer to the field though. The Marlins are gone...just get it done. Imagine how it would sound then?

The attendance was a bit over 71,000 for yesterdays game...so not a 100% full sellout, but anything over 70,000 is fine as it sits around 75k. I doubt there were much more Pats fans at Sun Life than there were Dolphins fans at Metlife...you heard us on TV also!

Ozzy likes this.
  22. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    The answer to the thread title, to me, is "No."

It's still among the worst stadiums in the league. That's why Miami will not get a SB until it is remedied.

Rebuild one side to move it closer (some 20-30 yards closer would work - then shift the field over) and at least put some kind of awning over the upper deck and it will both be a better fan experience and a louder stadium.

23. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I have been to well over a hundred and fifty games in the stadium and I see absolutely nothing wrong with it. Yesterday the crowd was into the game and it is very loud in the second half.

People who don't go to games because they have a problem with the stadium are the same people who wouldn't go to games, even if the Dolphins built a brand new stadium. Unless they could sit on a couch and drink beer in the air conditioning, they would find a reason to avoid going to Dolphin home games.

I really don't care if fans who don't go to games now, like the stadium or not. The thousands of Dolphin fans who actually showed up yesterday were there to watch the Dolphins beat the Patriots. They weren't there because they want a roof over the stadium or any other improvements to the stadium before they will spend their money to attend a game. Those are the fans I care about. Not those fans who only want to complain about the present stadium and claim they won't attend any games in the present stadium. These people aren't true Dolphin fans anyway.

The players and the game itself are what matters. The stadium is secondary and as yesterday proved, the crowd can be extremely loud and involved in the game when the Dolphins are winning. Winning is all this team needs to do to bring large and loud crowds to the stadium. Yesterday all I heard was how happy the fans were that the Dolphins beat the Patriots. I didn't hear one single Dolphin fan complain about the stadium. That seems to be something only those who don't attend games tend to do.

Alex13 and Steve-Mo like this.
  24. Kud_II

Kud_II Realist Division

Oct 15, 2011
    Seneca, SC
    It would have been twice as loud if this game had been played in the old OB.

KB21, Da 'Fins and BigDogsHunt like this.
  25. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    It would have been a hundred times as loud if the game had been played in my house. So what's the point? The fact is the crowd was into the game and the Dolphins won. That is all I care about. I am 100% okay with the stadium the way it is right now and I have been since Joe Robbie built the stadium in 1987.

I loved the old Orange Bowl and I would be just as happy if the Dolphins were still playing in that old dilapidated stadium today. To me, it has never been about the stadium, but only about the team. Heck, I would pay to go watch them play games in the Florida Everglades swamps if that is where they played. I'm only in the stadium for a few hours, eight times a year. I don't need comfort, all I need is an exciting and winning football team.

I love the heat, humidity, rain, and the lack of a roof over my head during the game. If those things bothered me, I wouldn't buy season tickets in the first place. I would just sit at home and complain about the stadium like so many others love to do.

26. P h i N s A N i T y

P h i N s A N i T y My Porpoise in Life

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    No. I love JRS but it needs to be vastly upgraded or replaced. Its the same model as the old Giant Stadium with a cosmetic face lift, some big screens and some palm trees. It's a tricked out Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. This franchise needs something more like a Porsche Cayenne w/ sunroof.

We should be sparking the debate !

Da 'Fins likes this.
  27. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Like the old Orange Bowl? Talk about a home field advantage...

Da 'Fins likes this.
  28. BayAreaFinFan

BayAreaFinFan D'oh Club Member

Jul 20, 2010
    San Francisco
    I hope tannehill gives us a reason to have that discussion :yes:

29. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I love Rush, but he obviously doesn't get it..

I know I'm right when it comes to the things I've laid out on the table over the years..

Maybe you should go back and read the details before you tell me I'm wrong.

30. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    noooo, acoustics and proximity mean nothing relative to the level of crowd noise that can be produced?..that's the silliest thing you've ever said.

My crusade as you call it, is about defining what makes the advantage real, what level has to be attained to impact the game, and the home players performance..on a consistent basis.

#1.. You must have the venue that makes the fan feel close enough to inspire them to not be spectators, and to want to engage into the action...this in itself is the draw..sunlife stadium is a spectator stadium because of the distance of the stands from the action, it will never inspire fans to come out and be a part of the energy by itself, only a winning team will bring fans, and of course that is logical..however, when it is full, it will take circumstances of desperate measure to get all fans to partake in giving enough energy to be heard, but still it will never be enough to create an advantage the likes that I've always referred to.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  31. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Until the last five minutes of the game, I could hear every single call that tom Brady was speaking, and he was never screaming, I can show you stills of the spectators in the building where 90% of the fans were sitting on their *** WHILE we were on defense in a one score game! a tie game! and a slight lead..

By no means am I blaming any dolphin fans for that, jts all venue related.

32. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    your last paragraph is sweet...unfortunately it has nothing to do with the advantages that some venues provide and why our own can be a deterrent..

Did you forget that the players had to beg you to perform..it's frustrating to players, maybe cause like you they don't understand the root of the problem, they just think they have sh&$y fans,

33. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    My hope is for our fans to understand the disadvantage and try to make up for it, not fall for it's trap...I too believe our fanbase wants to explode, and lets hope they do when the jets come to town..relatively speaking it will be quite inspiring.

34. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    If you have never sat in the visitors' side upper deck for a September one o'clock start, try it some time. You will probably join the halftime migration to look for empty seats on the south side, to get some shade. It is absolutely unbearable. The awning should be a priority over moving seats closer.

djphinfan likes this.
  35. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I've said this before, (as have many others, I'm sure), it's what they do ON that field, not the venue. Look, I spent 15ys or so going to the OB. It was hard to get to (traffic), very little parking, almost no places for tailgating, but that place rocked once the fans were in there and the team was playing. Why was that?? Shula, Griese, Wood-Stock, Warfield, OJ McDuffie, Nat Harris, Little, Baumhauer, AJ Duhe, Matheson, Marino (of course), a plethera of ok running backs over the years, Stephenson, Clayton, Duper, Merc, Kooch, and a host of others I'm missing. It wasn't about Flipper in the endzone or the cheerleaders (although worthy side attractions), it was about the team on the field. When the team is winning, it'll cover up the any complaints about heat, parking, in arena clubs, etc....

Ozzy likes this.
  36. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Sorry but they didn't have to beg me to be loud. I am yelling throughout all the Dolphin games and I certainly don't need any of the players to tell me to cheer at the games.

The root of the problem is that the Dolphins have had a very mediocre team on the field for most of the past decade. That is why there have been smaller crowds in the stadium and the atmosphere hasn't been what you want it to be. If the Dolphins continue to improve and become a consistent playoff team, the crowds will return and the atmosphere in the stadium will be much better.

The roof isn't needed and Ross has plenty of money to move the stands closer if he wants to, without taxpayer assistance. In fact the large donation he gave to the University of Michigan earlier this year would have been enough to move the seats closer to the field. Ross has the money to create a better atmosphere at the stadium, but has chosen not to spend his money to do so. Instead of blaming the fans of South Florida for the atmosphere in the stadium, you should be blaming the owner of this privately owned stadium for the fact the seats remain so far from the field.

Ozzy and Larryfinfan like this.
  37. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Yep. I think the Miami Dolphins and the University of Miami need to have a joint venture where they build a new Orange Bowl

djphinfan likes this.
  38. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Who is the greatest Dolphin QB of all time?

39. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I didn't mean literally you, it was more of a general statement..come on.

Yes, better team will get more fans to the stadium..you nailed that one..

The rest I don't care to discuss seeing that those parts have been discussed over and over.

40. Coloradotrv

Coloradotrv Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2013
    Would be fantastic. Have the "Phase 1" part of the stadium seat about 65K. Will drive up demand, and ticket sales. Once the phins start selling out games on a regular basis, then expand "Phase 2" to add another 5k-7k seats. Put in turf, similar to the meadow lands so that the endzones and logos can be swapped quickly before each game.

Unlucky 13 and djphinfan like this.