1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can we take a quick look at Philbin's 3 drafts with Miami?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by finsbuck719, Feb 7, 2015.

1. finsbuck719

finsbuck719 New Member

Jan 25, 2009
    I won't lie I wasn't a big fan of the 2012 draft, especially cause I wasn't high on Tannehill, I hated the Jon Martin pick (watched him get abused when he went against USC and Nick Perry, I thought we reached heavily on Vernon in the 3rd round, and I didn't like the Egnew pick. However, I look back at these 3 drafts and I see a lot of positives.

2012:
    1.8: Ryan Tannehill
    2.42: Jon Martin
    3.72: Olivier Vernon
    3.78: Michael Egnew
    4.97: Lamar Miller
    5.155: Josh Kaddu
    6.183: B.J. Cunningham
    7.215: Kheeston Randall
    7.227: Rishard Matthews

2013:
    1.03: Dion Jordan
    2.54: Jamar Taylor
    3.77: Dallas Thomas
    3.83: Will Davis
    4.104: Jelani Jenkins
    4.106: Dion Sims
    5.164: Mike Gillislee
    5.166: Caleb Sturgis
    7.250: Don Jones

2014:
    1.19: Ja'Wuan James
    2.63: Jarvis Landry
    2.67: Billy Turner
    4.125: Walt Aikens
    5.155: Arthur Lynch
    5.171: Jordan Tripp
    6.190: Matt Hazel
    7.234: Terrence Fede

Yeah, we've had some bad misses (Martin, Egnew, Thomas, etc...) but we still have a lot of talent from these drafts. I'll wait to call Dion Jordan a bust. We need to figure out how to use him and if he can stay on the field, then we'll truly find out of he is a bust or not. But, in 2012, Tannehill, Vernon, and Miller were great picks. All 3 players were borderline Pro Bowlers this year. Rishard Matthews has contributed and put together some good games.

For the 2013 draft, I'll give it another year to access these players. Jelani Jenkins was a great pick. Don Jones has been consistently our best STer the past 2 seasons (minus when he was on the Patriots). Jordan, Taylor, and Davis have all missed a lot of time either due to suspensions or injuries. But, when they are on the field, they've all flashed. Will Davis was playing great this year and Taylor really turned it on at the end of the year. If they can all stay healthy, this will be a great draft.

Last year's draft was solid as well. James played very well for the circumstances he was given. Jarvis Landry was our best receiver this year and looks like he'll be a top slot WR in the league for many years. Turner was hurt this year, but he is still a favorite of mine. This guy doesn't give up sacks. Dion Sims has had some good games. Fede was solid as well in his limited time playing.

I'm a big believer in building through the draft. If you look at the Seahawks, most of their core players came from their past 4 or 5 drafts. I think we are 1 or 2 more good drafts away from making a strong playoff push. I'm tired of signing these highly regarded free agents for top dollar and them always busting (ie. Wallace, Ellerbe, Marshall, Finnegan, Dansby, possibly Albert if he can't stay healthy, etc...) If you build through the draft, you're getting younger, cheaper, and these players are only learning one system. I truly believe we've had some good drafts and with another good draft this year and next year, I think we are well on our way.

2. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    I do not credit nor fault Joe Philbin for any of these drafts, I'm guessing he has minimal input in that regard.

Bpk, resnor, Unlucky 13 and 1 other person like this.
  3. finsbuck719

finsbuck719 New Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Regardless, the thread isn't necessarily just about Philbin. It's about the fans that still continue to discredit our coaching staff for anything successful they've done. Like I said, I think we have had some good drafts the last 3 years, and all the drafts have potential to be great drafts. We're one, maybe two more of these drafts away from a run at the AFC Championship game imo. We hung around with the best teams in the league early on in the season before injuries.

resnor likes this.
  4. PhinishLine

PhinishLine Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Maryland
    The coaching staff got the guy who did that first two drafts fired and won't even use the players who were drafted correctly if at all. Third draft was solid. Don't know what input the coaching staff had though.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

5. scotty_irnbru

scotty_irnbru Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Dundee, Scotland
    Could there be an argument that this staff is pretty decent at developing a player? Three 7th round picks that are giving us something. I'd the first round is a 50/50 shot then I'd say we've got a decent return on our drafts. Could be better of course but not terrible. I'm positive about the future. *awaits the arrival of LBs finest to crap all over it* As an aside the superbowl just passed featured no 5 star high school recruits.

6. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012

Great article and thought process to see where we have come in terms of new talent since 2012. It's hard to really call these Philbin's draft without insight on how much he is valued in the draft process. OF course his input is a big standpoint but from Ireland to Hickey it's a different philosophy, still fun to compare.

2012 produced our starting QB, RB, and DE. Not a bad draft it's the round 2 and misses at TE and WR that I look at that were disappointing. Tannehill has proved to be future QB, Miller got his first 1,000 yard season and Vernon already has a double digit sack season under his belt. All are under 25 and ascending players, so positive from those 3. Still took Miller until year 3 to make significant impact half on him and other half on staff not trusting him.

2013: Was a bad draft plain and simple. Look at round 1-3 while all are still on the roster none are signnificant impact players. Jordan IMO is out of position at DE and can make impact if he can find a natural fit and no suspensions etc. I liked Taylor pick on draft day but since then he hasn't proved to be the starter I expected at this point. His talent is there hopefully year 3 will be it. Dallas Thomas was an All-SEC guard and we put him at Tackle and watched the embarassment ensue. With his low cost and young age, I'd move him back to guard as a backup for one more try, still not enough value from 3rd round pick. Will Davis is a practice phenom but in real games is a dud, you can see ballhawk skills at times but he is afraid of contact and I hate that. When you're two 4th round picks are significant contributors that should be a good draft, but when you're previous picks are still questionable it's a problem. REgardless, Jenkins showed he is an upgrade at WLB and deserves starting job after 100 tackle season. Sims improved a lot year 1 to 2 but not need his pass catching to take hold. Sturgis is a joke and waste of 5th round pick. Don Jones has contributed on S/T more than our 3rd round corner to say the least.

2014: The change in GM is evident in strategy and decissivness. There was no doubt the PHins has interest in Ju'Wan James throughout the process and Hickey took his guy to much of the fan bases disapproval but it turned out to be a good pick for 2014 and for futrue years. James was asked an awfully lot this year and held up well enough one full year of strength training and move back to RT will prove to stabilize right side of line. Landry was the best pick of our draft for what he brings to our team. A passion for the game that isn't often seen in the primadonna position at WR. While he is a signicant piece of the future for our offense we need to find complements to him. Billy Turner had a red shirt year but I think his upside at guard is very important for 2015. Aikens has the size and ability but was not asked of much on defense and another red shirt type year. Lynch/Hazel were IR/PS options. Tripp played special teams and Fede showed most promise of late round guys. Either way strong first two rounds but draft decipated towards the end.

The biggest thing to me in these drafts is none are complete. IMO I think a draft needs to yield 3 starting players by year 3 with at least 1-2 significant backups/ST players. The closest thing we have at this point is 2012 but still not complete besides the 3 outlined.

2013 is the biggest dud as we found middle round contributors but with four picks in first 3 rounds and one being a Top 3 you CANNOT miss on those. 2014 has some promise to it as I think Turner will develop into above avg starter at guard and either Aikens/Fede/Tripp will contribute.

The other thing that bothers me is the coaching staff's inability to throw the kids to the fire. Every year it's always one maybe two rookies who get sognofocamt tome but never many more. The problem is our team at one point or another needs a shakeup and infusion of youth. My point why wasn't Jenkins given a shot earlier that 2014 when Wheeler/Ellerbe struggled in 2013? Why wasn't Turner given a shot at Guard this year when our unit was poor all season? How haven't we found a starter at CB with all we invested in it through the draft?

This staff and FO need to unite in the emphasis we need to draft big and expect the players to contribute. This year is obviously a big year for the whole FO and staff and in my mind the draft will need to be the biggest hit for it to be a success.

ASOT likes this.
  7. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    It's all about the Talent evaluator.go get'em hickster, don't care if you can't figure out how to use an iPad, just get your *** in the film room, interview these guys friends and family members, make sure they live the game and have the intelligence to comprehend physical training and nutrition,and make your picks, cause that's what it's all about, and screw everyone else..you have the best job in the world..evaluate talent and be right..

8. Zounds

Zounds New Member

Nov 4, 2013
    Orlando, FL
    Looks like 3 very average drafts to me, which usually equate to average records....somewhere along the lines of 8-8. I know the jury is still out on many players, but I think its safe to say we didnt get any elite game changing players.

ASOT likes this.
  9. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Looks average, but too small of a sample size either way.

10. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    The 2012 draft was a good one, though passing on a wideout until the 6th round was idiotic. 2013 draft flat out sucked, and 2014 is too early to judge.

ASOT likes this.