Canadian Court overturns father's grounding of 12-year-old

35 replies

[deleted][deleted]Luxury BoxOP
Jun 19, 2008, 04:13 PM

OTTAWA (AFP) - A Canadian court has lifted a 12-year-old girl's grounding, overturning her father's punishment for disobeying his orders to stay off the Internet, his lawyer said Wednesday.

The girl had taken her father to Quebec Superior Court after he refused to allow her to go on a school trip for chatting on websites he tried to block, and then posting "inappropriate" pictures of herself online using a friend's computer.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080618/wl_canada_afp/canadachildcourtoffbeat_080618180800

opfinisticopfinisticNew Member
Jun 19, 2008, 04:21 PM

That sets a bad precedent IMO, the court should stay the hell out of a family's issues unless a child's welfare is in danger. :pity:

TrueDolFanTrueDolFanNew Member
Jun 19, 2008, 04:25 PM

That story sickens me. So the government has the authority to tell you how to appropriately punish your child, huh?

The liberals are getting more and more crazy by the day in this world. They really are trying to make Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four a reality...

opfinisticopfinisticNew Member
Jun 19, 2008, 04:26 PM

If my father grounded me and I took him to court over that I would not be posting here today.

[deleted][deleted]Luxury Box
Jun 19, 2008, 04:31 PM

"opfinistic wrote:

If my father grounded me and I took him to court over that I would not be posting here today.

Ditto :lol:

calphincalphinNew Member
Jun 19, 2008, 04:32 PM

First of all, how does a 12 year old child get a court appointed attorney for something so insignificant? She is 12 years old, disobeying, repeatedly, the rules of her parents, and the judge thinks the punishment is to severe? Where did she get her credentials? Maybe from the Cracker Jacks box. IMO, not only should it have not gone to court, and consumed valuable court time, but the judge should be disbarred for even allowing something so ridiculous in the court room! When are we as parents going to be able to teach our children right from wrong, and have the backing of our local law enforcement, CPS, and the courts? It should not have ever gone this far, and gotten this far out of control!


Thanks Gish

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Jun 19, 2008, 04:33 PM

"TrueDolFan wrote:

That story sickens me. So the government has the authority to tell you how to appropriately punish your child, huh?

The liberals are getting more and more crazy by the day in this world. They really are trying to make Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four a reality...

The conservatives are also doing their parts. They are just in different areas.

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

calphincalphinNew Member
Jun 19, 2008, 04:34 PM

"opfinistic wrote:

If my father grounded me and I took him to court over that I would not be posting here today.

Amen!!! What kind of strain now will this create between this twelve year old and the parents? I wouldn't want to be in her shoes if the attorneys appeals are granted. If I had done that, my dad would have buried me in the backyard!!


Thanks Gish

unluckylucianounluckylucianoNew Member
Jun 19, 2008, 04:37 PM

Who the hell is the court to decide if a punishment is too severe? So now not only can you no longer physically discipline your child, if you decide to do it with a grounding you better make sure it is deemed to be fair?

all i can say is
werst.
court.
decision.
evar.

thanks to VO for the sick ass sigs.


Charlie: If you're not as educated or as informed what you do is you start your own party and you yell the loudest.

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Jun 19, 2008, 04:38 PM

I know for myself as hard as it would be, I would officially be done with my daughter at this point

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

opfinisticopfinisticNew Member
Jun 19, 2008, 04:38 PM

"unluckyluciano wrote:

Who the hell is the court to decide if a punishment is too severe? So now not only can you no longer physically discipline your child, if you decide to do it with a grounding you better make sure it is deemed to be fair?

all i can say is
werst.
court.
decision.
evar.

What's next? We gonna have governement controlled bedtimes?

HardKoreXXXHardKoreXXXNew Member
Jun 19, 2008, 04:40 PM

Has anyone ever accused Canada of doing anything significant?...ever?

Id love to psychoanalyze the female judge who made this decision. Think Daddy didnt love her enough?

@BaseyCrock

"Making people on the Internet feel better about their own lives since 2004"

opfinisticopfinisticNew Member
Jun 19, 2008, 04:41 PM

"HardKoreXXX wrote:

Has anyone ever accused Canada of doing anything significant?...ever?

William Shatner and Canadian Bacon (which is really re-named ham).

His'nBeatYour'nHis'nBeatYour'nNew Member
Jun 19, 2008, 04:44 PM

Seems to be a sensationalized story, without much details in it. I'd hope a better article might come soon with more context. As is, it is a ridiculous decision.

I don't believe the following details make the decision appropriate, but they were neglected in the original piece.

The court overturned the father's decision to prevent her from going on an 8th grade graduating class trip.

The father has legal custody, though this has been an ongoing battle for 10 years with the mother, who sided with her daughter in the case that she shouldn't be prevented from going on a "rite of passage"

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=597190

opfinisticopfinisticNew Member
Jun 19, 2008, 04:47 PM

The father has legal custody, though this has been an ongoing battle for 10 years with the mother, who sided with her daughter in the case that she shouldn't be prevented from going on a "rite of passage"

There's a shocker, imagine a bitter ex trying to undermine the authority of the other parent. :rolleyes:

calphincalphinNew Member
Jun 19, 2008, 04:48 PM

"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:

I know for myself as hard as it would be, I would officially be done with my daughter at this point

That would be an awful position to be in.


Thanks Gish

unluckylucianounluckylucianoNew Member
Jun 19, 2008, 04:51 PM

Ms. Fortin insists that while court was a last resort, the situation called for it: "This was not a question of going to the movies or not, or going online or not -- because obviously, I wouldn't have intervened in that," she said.

well obviously, that'd just be too far lol

thanks to VO for the sick ass sigs.


Charlie: If you're not as educated or as informed what you do is you start your own party and you yell the loudest.

late againlate againNew Member
Jun 19, 2008, 04:52 PM

"calphin wrote:

First of all, how does a 12 year old child get a court appointed attorney for something so insignificant? She is 12 years old, disobeying, repeatedly, the rules of her parents, and the judge thinks the punishment is to severe? Where did she get her credentials? Maybe from the Cracker Jacks box. IMO, not only should it have not gone to court, and consumed valuable court time, but the judge should be disbarred for even allowing something so ridiculous in the court room! When are we as parents going to be able to teach our children right from wrong, and have the backing of our local law enforcement, CPS, and the courts? It should not have ever gone this far, and gotten this far out of control!

I'm with you 100%. I think the answer lies in the last couple of sentences. This girl evidently used an attorney that has been involved in a long term custody dispute between her parents. So I think her mom is most likely behind this.
Nonetheless, in one fell swoop, this judge completely and thoroughly destroyed that father's credibility as an authority figure in that child's life. People wonder why juvenile crime continues to rise.....
As I think about this more and more; I place less and less blame on that child. She did what you would expect a 12 year old to do when punished - she looked for a way to get out of it. The guilty parties are - her mom, her mom's attorney, and the court for even paying attention to her mom and attorney.

SICKSICKForum Veteran
Jun 19, 2008, 04:56 PM

Then that judge needs to raise this kid, because without discipline the kid will be more disrespectful and rude.....you need some discipline to raise a kid, let them walk all over you....and damnit they will walk

unluckylucianounluckylucianoNew Member
Jun 19, 2008, 04:57 PM

"late again wrote:

I'm with you 100%. I think the answer lies in the last couple of sentences. This girl evidently used an attorney that has been involved in a long term custody dispute between her parents. So I think her mom is most likely behind this.
Nonetheless, in one fell swoop, this judge completely and thoroughly destroyed that father's credibility as an authority figure in that child's life. People wonder why juvenile crime continues to rise.....
As I think about this more and more; I place less and less blame on that child. She did what you would expect a 12 year old to do when punished - she looked for a way to get out of it. The guilty parties are - her mom, her mom's attorney, and the court for even paying attention to her mom and attorney.

Yup. And the article hisn posted stated she is now living with her mom after she got punished, which is what alot of children of divorce do, they play one parent off the other.

thanks to VO for the sick ass sigs.


Charlie: If you're not as educated or as informed what you do is you start your own party and you yell the loudest.

HardKoreXXXHardKoreXXXNew Member
Jun 19, 2008, 05:08 PM

"unluckyluciano wrote:

Yup. And the article hisn posted stated she is now living with her mom after she got punished, which is what alot of childs of divorce do, they play one parent off the other.

As a child of divorce myself I was guilty of this in my youth. I never took it as far as this little priss, but often I look back and regret some of the things I did.

Personally I think Moms are worse in a situation like this. Mainly because women are more manipulative (JMO) and act out of spite ALOT more than men do (again JMO from personal experience).

Sad because this child is going to be the one who really suffers. Years of therapy wont fix this...

@BaseyCrock

"Making people on the Internet feel better about their own lives since 2004"

His'nBeatYour'nHis'nBeatYour'nNew Member
Jun 19, 2008, 05:10 PM

When you are 12 it is understandable to be naive enough to believe that you can sue your way out of anything you don't like. Suddenly after a decision like this, it is not so naive.

I'm still wary of citing this case, which was just decided today, as some sort of symptom of a society spinning out of control. I think it was a dumb decision, the appeals process will prove it and society will resume it's normal out of control spinning. :up:

texanphinatictexanphinaticForum Veteran
Jun 19, 2008, 05:59 PM

"His'nBeatYour'n wrote:

When you are 12 it is understandable to be naive enough to believe that you can sue your way out of anything you don't like. Suddenly after a decision like this, it is not so naive.

I'm still wary of citing this case, which was just decided today, as some sort of symptom of a society spinning out of control. I think it was a dumb decision, the appeals process will prove it and society will resume it's normal out of control spinning. :up:

The fact this even NEEDS to go to a freaking APPEAL is insane enough!
I dont know if this one case is proof society is destroying itself, but its proof how stupid some people can be. I hope someone comes down hard on this moronic judge, and the mother as well. This was just ridiculous all the way through and should have ended up in court at all.

PaganPaganForum Veteran
Jun 19, 2008, 06:13 PM

Yet another shining example of why I choose to remain child-free.

".. hell you even have a fireman who rubs his balls on another mans head for three hours a week.. show some class, don't make fun of us poor Dolphins fans. :shifty:" ~ cnc66

"There is no sweeter nectar, than the misery riddled tears of Jets fans." ~ Finascious D

texanphinatictexanphinaticForum Veteran
Jun 19, 2008, 07:37 PM

"Pagan wrote:

Yet another shining example of why I choose to remain child-free.

They only do what you let them. In this case its hard to believe this kid could have gotten anywhere without her **** mother shoving her from behind. The kid was just happy she was getting out of her punishment.
This is a grade A case of divorced parents (in this case the mom) putting themselves above the welfare of their child. That this moron judge couldnt see that and fostered and encouraged this is unbelievable.