1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canty "I'm always going to be a Parcells guy".

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Sceeto, Feb 12, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
  2. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Where will he play? Do we really want to pump a lot of money into the DE position? It was our deepest position last year w/ Langford, Merling, Holiday, and Starks.

I dont really think there is a need for Canty.

Does anyone know whether he played RDE or LDE in the 3-4 in Dallas?

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  3. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Exactly! It doesn't make sense. I guess they assume that because practically every other guy Parcells brought to Dallas, he tried to take back to Miami. :D

FinNasty likes this.
  4. phinfanuk

phinfanuk Season Ticket Holder

Dec 19, 2007
    Could he possibly be a replacement for Holliday? I know there is some talk we may release him. You can never have enough depth on the D-line.

5. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    Well, where does Merling fit in there?

phinfanuk likes this.
  6. phinfanuk

Dec 19, 2007
    Possibly as the starter if he proves he's good enough, if not then he gets in the rotation and continues to develop regardless. I don't think it's out of the question to have four starting quality defensive ends, in fact it's no different to what we had last season.

7. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    But, the difference is that Canty is going to command some nice $$$. Is it wise to invest that kind of money into Canty if Merling ends up starting?

phinfanuk likes this.
  8. phinfanuk

Dec 19, 2007
    Good point. I was referring more to the fact that he is "always going to be a Parcells guy." I was raising his acquisition as more of a discussion point than a statement of my approval.

9. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Canty plays RDE in Dallas' 3-4 scheme a la http://www.nfl.com/teams/dallascowboys/depthchart?team=DAL but they may rotate him as well.

That's the same side Holliday and Merling play on. If they're not sold on Merling or maybe just want another guy to rotate along the lines (The Giants did it with Strahan, Osi, Tuck, Etc & The Eagles do it with Patterson, Laws, Howard, etc) they could bring him in if he's not too terribly expensive; which he would be.

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  10. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I speculated last month on Canty coming over and Holliday being a possible cut as a result. However, I can't see it happening now that he's looking for Tommy Kelly money. As an aside, this is what happens when idiots like Al Davis overpay for lower tier guys.
    Anyway, the difference between us adding Canty to our stable and NYG's Strahan, Osi, Tuck, etc. is that the latter play in a 4-3. Those extra guys can/could get after the QB. That is worth more money. Canty does not address our glaring weakness...pass rush.

If we're going to get into the arena of $18 million guaranteed, I'd rather it go towards Julius Peppers; a legit beast who would take our pass rush to the next level. And why not? This regime threw $20 million at Calvin Pace last year.

And as was mentioned earlier in the thread, I think we need to worry about the Jason Ferguson and the depth behind him.