1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Career choices?

Discussion in 'Jobs Forum' started by bberg, Jul 24, 2012.

1. bberg

bberg Squid

Jul 6, 2012
    North East
    Hey all-

I'm going into my 4th (and final) year of college to get a BS in Mechanical Engineering and a minor in Architecture @ Lafayette College. I have a full resume, decent GPA (above a 3.5) at a top 25 school and more experience/internships than any of my classmates. HOWEVER, every year I find a new place to work. [Navy.. Air Products] large successful companies I start to regret my area of study. I've gotten offers for after I graduate, but... I don't think I'll ever wake up and say "I love my job".

Yes... I know everyone says "you have to do what you love," but how often does that happen? Part of me wants to do what everyone else does and just take the offer. The other part of me doesn't want to go into a career souly because I'll be make a decent salary.

I've asked multiple people who work at these companies, and some say they enjoy it and the others say how they have a paycheck that pays for wha they want in life... I come from a family with 5 siblings with no money. My father had 2 heart surgeries and a permantly disabling stroke before I was 13. I'm the oldest male, so I took on responsibilities early. Now, I want to be able to live and enjoy having money. BUT, I want to ENJOY making money.

I'm not sure if this is just a rant or something that you all can help me with[or in the right section of the forum, sorry]... but I'll appreciate ANY advice. Nothing anyone says will be wasted. I just want to hear as much as I can before its too late.

Thanks in advance.

2. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Ever consider street pharmaceuticals? Are you a good negociator? Keep you pimp hand strong?

3. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Personally, I never agreed with doing what you love for a living, if part of that is not working for yourself. Doing what you love for a living while working for others, is taking something you love and making it a job. It will happen eventually. If you can't work for yourself, then find a job at something you like that allows you live to live a lifestyle that includes the things you love for fun.

EDIT: You know what, don't listen to me. I'm far from successful.

4. Yellow Snowman

Yellow Snowman New Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Take the money my man. Pad that resume and that bank account. You can always find a new job, you can always take a different and more enjoyable career path....but money and opportunity isn't always there.

And here is the dirty little secret....few people are happy that don't make good money. Contrary to what the saying says, money can buy happiness, it happens every day. Listen to Randy Moss "Straight cash homie"

5. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I agree. You're young. Take the money and help your family succeed. You can all live the good life later on in your careers.

6. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    While you may not find a job that you love, you should have a job that you at the very least don't mind going in to regularly (you shouldn't routinely dread going into work imo), and that pays a sum that you can live comfortably on. The important thing is that your life is happy overall, but the truth is very few people can love what they do (or do what they love).

And if you didn't know, there are likely far more ME jobs out there than just what you've been exposed to. When I was looking for my 1st out of school ChE job, there were jobs that I had no clue even existed (including field service engineer work - which is what I ultimately ended up in).

7. bberg

bberg Squid

Jul 6, 2012
    North East
    Thanks a lot guys. That's what I was leaning towards. I can make around 70k and live at home. I feel like I'll be able to live my younger life, pay off college, and travel with the job. I just like reassurance.

Greatly appreciated.

8. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Just curious but did you ever know Brad Maurer? He was a QB there for a while, maybe before your time (can't remember if he stayed for a 5th year or not).

9. Gunner

Gunner Rock Hunter

Jan 5, 2008
    Mobile, AL
    Just received my BS in Geology in the mail :up:

Now the fun part ... finding someone say "Your hired!"