1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Carl Jung

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by anlgp, Jan 14, 2009.

Tags:
  1. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Man & His Symbols.

Has anyone read this book?

What did you think of it?

I believe he wrote one chapter and edited the other 4.

NaboCane likes this.
  2. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Is it available as an audiobook?

3. anlgp

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Man-His-Symbols-Audiobook-Audio/dp/B000Q6362W"]Amazon.com: Man and His Symbols [Audiobook] [Mp3 Audio] [Cd]: Carl Jung: Books[/ame]

:up:

4. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    [​IMG]

5. anlgp

gtfo then ;)

6. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    weird i thought this was in the ladies lounge for some reason :escape2:

Phinperor and SICK like this.
  7. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    annnndddd then you saw analgap here....an thought otherwise.....:shifty:

8. anlgp

you must have missed my shower woman thread.

SICK likes this.
  9. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC

Touche

:knucks:

anlgp likes this.
  10. femalefinfan

femalefinfan Phillies fan Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Philth-a-delphia
    Jung was a contempory of Freud. I've never read much of either of their works, but if any one is genuinley interested in the subject, send me a pm. I'll be happy to discuss what I feel are the positives and negatives of either man. As well as Skinner, Pavlov, CBT, DBT, etc etc

NaboCane, Celtkin and anlgp like this.
  11. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Must...block out...bad memories....of psychology courses and the horrible psych papers....:tongue2:

Still, I suppose that book is definitely less dense and complex than his academic work.

12. daphins

daphins A-Style

Mar 22, 2008
    Why not post your informational nuggest for all to see? It could spawn some cool conversation and at the very least let me learn a bit of info to throw at GIK in an argument.

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  13. anlgp

Just wikipedia them.

Unless FFF is a psychologist.

14. daphins

daphins A-Style

Mar 22, 2008
    I'm big on opinions. It's easy to research stuff but I find it much more interesting to hear peoples views.

Edit: which btw I'd be interested in hearing yours as well since it's something that you seem to have an interest in.

15. femalefinfan

Nov 24, 2007
    Philth-a-delphia
    Not a psychologist. Just have my MA in community counseling with the potential of becoming licensed.

NaboCane and anlgp like this.
  16. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    is it true jung believed he had an angel guardian that he could talk to?

17. anlgp

I honestly don't know much about the man as a person. Maybe FFF can answer this question.

18. femalefinfan

Nov 24, 2007
    Philth-a-delphia
    Freud basics #1
    Personality Structures
    The personality is divided into 3 structures, the id, ego, and superego. The id is the pleasure principal. All basic needs, physical, emotional, sexual (this is Freud) are derived through the id. The ego, the reality principal seeks to meet needs with as little harm to the personality as possible. The superego, the morality principal, constently questions the morals of the ids impulses and the egos means of satisfying those impulses. The conflict of what is desired and what is morally right lies between these three structures.

NaboCane, daphins and anlgp like this.
  19. femalefinfan

Nov 24, 2007
    Philth-a-delphia
    Freud Basics #2
    Human Development
    Freud believed at each stage of developement, the human had a conflict to resolve. If the conflict wasn't resolved, the person became permanatly stuck at that stage. Ever hear of oral fixation? Thats one who never fully resolved the conflict of the oral stage. Same goes for anally retentive. They never resolved the conflict of the anal stage. And so on.

I can go into much more detail on this one if necessary.

NaboCane, daphins and anlgp like this.
  20. femalefinfan

Nov 24, 2007
    Philth-a-delphia
    Freud Basics #3
    Defense mechanisms
    When going through a personality stage there is a conflict that needs to be resolved. See previous post. When the id impulses in that stage are not satisfied, it can become tramautic to the individual. Additionally other traumas like abuse can occur. Defense mechanisms are people's way of dealing with traumas without damaging one ego (the way we satisfy the ids impulses). Repression is perhaps the most common of the defense mechanisms. Repression is essentially pushing negative traumatic memories so far down that they can only be accessed throug hypnosis, dream analysis, free association etc.

Thats Freud in a nut shell.

NaboCane, anlgp and daphins like this.
  21. femalefinfan

Nov 24, 2007
    Philth-a-delphia
    Jung Basics #1
    The collective unconsciousness
    Jung belived that we as humans have a type of "collective memory bank". Events that happened to our ancestors early on have been permantly imprinted into our unconsciousness. Example: Fear of, caution around, religious meanings behind snakes. Nearly every culture holds the snake as some sort of evil creature, from the garden of eden to cleopatra's asp. This is an example of the collective unconsciousness.

22. femalefinfan

Nov 24, 2007
    Philth-a-delphia
    Jung Basics #2
    The archetypes
    Archetypes are preconscious psychic dispositions that allow humans to react to things in a human manner (sound like the ego and superego?). They are blueprints, if you will, of elements of the collective unconscious. Common ones are the shadow (the dark side of the personality that seeks to satisfy the latent dispositions of humans. Sound like the id?) The animus and anima are the male characteristics of females and the female characterstics of males.

Obviously, I more well versed on Freud then I am Jung. However, if anyone is really that interested, I can see what else I can dig up in my old textbooks and journal articles.

23. daphins

daphins A-Style

Mar 22, 2008
    Please do. I'm aware of the ID, ego, and Super Ego but don't recall hearing about people becoming frozen in their development. That's really interesting actually.

I'm really interested in learning more about Jung as well. While Freud seems to spend a lot of time diagramming peoples reactions to situations your intro to Jung focused nearly exclusively on pre-programmed behavior.

Does Jung focus on humans predispositions more than Freud? Either way I'm interested if you're willing to elaborate (I understand that you're probably busy and may not like to do so, so by all means disregard if you wish).

24. anlgp

Semi related but I got into Jung because of Tool. So if you listen to Tool, particularly Aenima, there's some insight there.

The song 46&2 made me want to read more about him.

Then I had some other friends who are intellectual in esotericism (which I'm very much into) tell me this is a good book. Which is why I bought this particular book.

25. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    freud believed the unconscious, thus the way you behaved, was built through out ones life.
    jung believe the collective unconscious was built since ancient times thus more evolutionary, IMO.

26. daphins

daphins A-Style

Mar 22, 2008
    I wanted badly to get into more psychology when I was in college. Damn major kept me too busy to engage in other pursuits.

27. femalefinfan

Nov 24, 2007
    Philth-a-delphia

The psychosexual stages of developement are Oral, Anal, Phallic, latency, and genital. Each stage has a physical focus, a psychological theme, and an adult character if someone becomes fixated it that stage.

Oral Birth to about 2 years
    The focus here is sucking. The childs desire to be fed. The theme here is dependency. The child comes to learn that they are dependent on their mothers to have their physical needs met. If the mother is attentive and needs their needs in a timley manner, then the child can successfully move to the next stage. If not, they will become orally fixated. People who are orally fixated are highly dependent people who smoke, bite their nails, etc. Or they take to the other extreme and are extremley independent.

Anal Stage 2 years to about 4 years
    The focus here is toilet training. The child must learn to control their bowels and the gratification that they get from expelling their bowels. The theme here is self control. This is where the ego and superego begin to develop. If one becomes fixated at this stage, they become anally fixated. An anal retentive person can either be rigid, uptight, and overlly organized, or the other extreme, anally explosive lacking self control, defiant and hostile.

Phallic Stage 4 years to about 6 years
    The focus in this stage is the *****. Freud believed that children become interested in their genitals at this stage. He believed this is where girls ***** envy originates. This is also where the Oedipal complex arises. Boys wish to kill their father and possess their mothers. If their fathers are able to nuture them throughout this stage, boys will begin to identify with them and not see them as rivals. If not, they fear castration by their fathers.

Latency 6 years to puberty
    There is no major conflicts in this stage, hence the term latency.

Genital Stage post puberty and beyond.
    The theme here is adult sex and the need to procreate. If a person successfully passess through all the stages, this is where they will spend their entire adult lives. The conflict is that of how to become a productive member of society. There is no fixation here as this is the last stage.

I wouldn't say that Jung focuses more on human's predispositions more then Freud. Freud believed all these stages are predispositions, unconscious drives if you will. Jung just characterized them differently. The way that I look at Jung vs Freud is that Freud had more of a focus on the individual where as Jung had more of a focus on the colletive, the group. Again, thats an oversimplification, but I think you know what I mean.

daphins likes this.
  28. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Go into the oral thing in detail.

Slowly.

29. femalefinfan

Nov 24, 2007
    Philth-a-delphia
    Baby you couldn't handle it if I did. :wink2:

NaboCane likes this.
  30. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    :lol: You're probably right.

31. femalefinfan

Nov 24, 2007
    Philth-a-delphia
    I know I'm right.

32. anlgp

:shifty: might as well give it a shot

33. daphins

daphins A-Style

Mar 22, 2008
    Is there room for deviation in his theories? Such as other explanations for nail biting or foregoing procreation?

34. femalefinfan

Nov 24, 2007
    Philth-a-delphia
    To Freud, no. Freud truley believed he was right and no one else. Thus the cause of the falling out between him and Jung. They were supposedly arguing over some aspect of unconsciousness while on a train and never spoke again. However, most practioner now a days don't totally buy into one theory or another. We use an ecclectic mix that meshes with our own theories as well as the needs of our clients.

daphins likes this.
  35. daphins

daphins A-Style

Mar 22, 2008
    I don't believe in dealing in absolutes either. Though I'm sure there's a lot of truth to what he says. Fun to think about and reflect on anyway. I really appreciate it.

36. femalefinfan

Nov 24, 2007
    Philth-a-delphia
    I completley agree. Human behavior is too complex to limit it to black or white all or nothing. There are, like many theories, aspects that I agree with and aspects that I don't. Ironically, when I was doing my undergrad I thought his theories were nonsensical sexist drivel. Now that I've grown and matured, I can see some points where he may have been dead on. But again, not everything.

37. daphins

daphins A-Style

Mar 22, 2008
    What's your educational background?

38. femalefinfan

Nov 24, 2007
    Philth-a-delphia
    Undergraduate in psychology from Drexel University. Graduate degree in community counseling from Arcadia University. Lots of training in family therapy, truama, borderline personality disorder, and dialectical behavioral therapy. My area of intrest is teenagers who have been through trauma and adults with borderline personality disorder.

daphins likes this.
  39. daphins

daphins A-Style

Mar 22, 2008
    Cool, sounds like you know your stuff. :up:

femalefinfan likes this.
  40. femalefinfan

Nov 24, 2007
    Philth-a-delphia
    Thanx. I'd like to think so. But there's always much more to learn, techniques to refine, etc