1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Carson Wentz Watch

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Phoenician Fan, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Phoenician Fan

Phoenician Fan Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
  2. caliphinfan

caliphinfan Active Member

May 14, 2012
    i dont think we get a qb. if we draft one it will be next year. T hill gets one more year

3. Phoenician Fan

Phoenician Fan Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
    You are probably right, this is the Dolphins. If Wentz is there when we pick, we will probably trade down with the Jets or Bills and let one of them have him.

4. caliphinfan

caliphinfan Active Member

May 14, 2012
    lol. thats how we roll.

5. bbqpitlover

bbqpitlover Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Maine
    Another new coach with zero head coach experience now that's thinking outside the box, I smell another Ginn/Jordon type draft coming in first round.

6. muskrat21

muskrat21 Well-Known Member

May 11, 2014
    if miami takes a QB it needs to be in the 5th or later rounds. too many other gapeing holes to fill.

gunn34 and number21 like this.
  7. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I'd like the team to take someone who can be a long term backup to RT17. I'll admit that I'm ignorant to this kid though.

8. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    With the hire of Gas and him meeting with Tannery before being hired and the degree the FO keeps hyping Tanne, I think it is evident he is getting at least 1 more year. I see a FA type or mid rounder brought in, but not a real challenger.

dgfred likes this.
  9. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Wentz uses too wide of a throwing base. Makes it difficult for his feet to keep up with his eyes when cycling through his progressions, especially when he overcommits to a target that he decides not to pull the trigger on. That and his feet are simply sometimes just lazy in general to follow his eyes. Leaves him prone to prematurely opening up his shoulders/hips before his feet have time to square himself up. Leads to accuracy/placement issues and sailed passes. Seems more pronounced to the left side of the field where it's easier for his hips to open up and where his feet have to do even more work to catch up. Relies too much on his arm for providing the accuracy, even when not going through progressions.... and at times he throws in little unnecessary hitches that screw with his accuracy and make it tougher to return to his throwing base if he doesn't commit to that particular target.

Has a big live arm, a quick release [when he uses it], a generally good throwing motion, and adequate balance & body flexibility.... so I don't see why he couldn't successfully refine his mechanics to improve his accuracy & ball placement. Throws a ball to the far side of the field like nobody's business. Big time potential here..... but a classic boom-bust prospect to me. Will likely be a pick machine if asked to start early on. I can see him going in the 18-26 range based on his upside.

You may ask, "well what's the difference between accuracy & ball placement?" For me, accuracy is the general action of putting the ball on your receiver- providing him a chance to catch the ball when he's open. Ball placement is narrower in scope. Whereas accuracy results in completions, ball placement results in those completions going for YAC. In tight coverage, accuracy can still lead to tipped passes and INTs whereas ball placement leads to putting the ball where only the receiver can get it. So it's possible to be an accurate QB but have poor ball placement.

cuchulainn and dgfred like this.
  10. Fin4Ever

Fin4Ever Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL

Imho, the time to draft a QB is this year. Yes, this year we still have Tannehill at a reasonable salary until it skyrockets the following year. In knowing this, that gives the drafted QB all of the mini camps, OTA's, Training camp and pre-season to learn the way that our offense will run. This way, we have our #2 on a rookie deal and in case of an unforseen circumstance he can come right into the game and not miss a beat......and, what if he IS is great leader and is as good as what everyone is saying about him? Then folks, we can have a good old fashioned QB competition and let the best man win.

gunn34 likes this.
  11. dgfred

dgfred Free Agent pickup

Dec 17, 2015
    N.C., USA
    Drafting one is fine... the main discussion is at what pick.

12. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I agree with both of these.

13. dgfred

dgfred Free Agent pickup

Dec 17, 2015
    N.C., USA
    I think several teams got a eye on Wentz... mainly the Cowboys.

14. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Man crush