1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CB Rashaan Melvin

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by peakz, Mar 26, 2013.

1. peakz

peakz New Member

Apr 15, 2010
  2. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I don't know about Day 2 for this guy. This guy is a project that will be years in development, IMO. Maybe some day down the road you might have an E.J. Biggers type of player on your hands but it will be far down the road and I don't know that he's ever going to be anything more than solid.

You almost wonder with some of the things you see what his background is, whether he's new to the position. He gets his feet crossed up, isn't well balanced, a lot of wasted movements and steps and not very deliberate in what he does. He was essentially a broken ATM in coverage against Florida State. Maybe they didn't hit him up all that often but they found rewards when they did, and no cost.

He's a lengthy player with the ability to be physical in coverage and he has speed on him although not very balanced movement. He's not a guy I would say moves like he's being controlled by a joystick. His ability seems to shine when he's allowed to play in man and use his speed/length to its fullest. Otherwise he's just not very aware of what's happening on the field and I felt like he blew an assignment at least once in the FSU game. He's decent at helping in the run game though.

I doubt Miami would be onto him with any kind of draft pick of consequence, specifically because he doesn't seem to have a lot of good tape in zone. The reason I would take a Kayvon Webster over this guy is because Kayvon moves a lot better. There's no jerkiness or tendency to get crossed up. He's a very balanced guy.

3. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Let me put another guy up for consideration and that is Kayvon Webster whom I've already talked about.

Watch the game that Rashaan Melvin had against Florida State and then watch the game Kayvon Webster had against them. I think what you'll see with Kayvon is that his set of instincts, ability to anticipate and break on the football, and the balance in his movement skills are all much better than Melvin's.

Kayvon just needs to clean up some of his practices in tackling but that's not a big deal. Melvin is a little more aggressive but that can be bad as often as good because he likes to go for the kill shot at the legs and isn't a wrap up guy. When Kayvon's aggressiveness is there (inconsistent, not non-existent) then his tackling looks better than Melvin's at its best, IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zsDKtSgXwA

4. peakz

peakz New Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Yeah, I definitely know what you mean about him getting his feet tied up. There are some plays where he's just looking around and looks to be falling over his own feet. Towards the end of the FSU game he was just playing so far off and giving them the completion.

I love Kayvon Webster. He's some that I definitely see Ireland being interested in. Where do you see him going?

5. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    It's hard to tell. Kayvon SHOULD be valued at the top of Day 3 or maybe even the tail end of Day 2. I just don't have a great sense where he is valued. It's similar to D.J. Hayden whom I've been talking about since November. Forever the signals I was getting were that he's lucky to be drafted at all, even though to me his tape was second only to Dee Milliner's, right there with Xavier Rhodes and Desmond Trufant. Now suddenly I'm hearing scouts talk about 3rd round, maybe even 2nd round. Similar also to Darius Slay whom I've been onto since even before Hayden. For the longest time, signals say he's late round...but he should be solid Day 2. Now the signals are pointing toward that.

ssmiami likes this.