1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chad Henne situational stats

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Disgustipate, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Was looking through the Washington Post stats page, which seems to be one of the few with a pretty comprehensive splits section on how players perform in various situations, and I found a couple of these things interesting.

Henne is tied for 1st for the most 25+ yard pass plays with 12

As bad as our pass protection has been, there are quarterbacks suffering worse. Henne has been sacked on 9.2% of his attempts, worst in the AFC- However, there are 6 quarterbacks in the NFC who have been sacked more often- Sam Bradford, Matt Ryan, Eli Manning, Jay Cutler, Tavaris Jackson, and Alex Smith.

Chad Henne has the third worst red zone QB rating, behind Josh Freeman and Phillip Rivers.

Chad Henne has the second worst 3rd down conversion rate as a passer, behind Andy Dalton

Chad Henne is tied for 11th in the NFL in rushes over 10 yards. He's second to Mike Vick's 7 among QBs.

As a bonus curiousity, Daniel Thomas is the least stuffed back in the NFL so far, having 0 out of 41 rushes. All the other players with 0 have less than 24 carries.

gafinfan, JimToss, keypusher and 5 others like this.
  2. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Just traded for him in fantasy... doh!

(Although, I traded Freeman and Blount to get him)

3. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Reminds me of 09, when Pennington and Co would have great stats but we still started out 0-3.

Henne was good at converting 3rd downs in the past, so to me that is simply the new offense.

Gotta love the down the field stats, who would have thought it? I know I did not think he would be that accurate down the field.

4. Ophinerated

Ophinerated Preposterous!

Apr 1, 2008
    I would be interested in how those stats were compiled. It can't be passes over 20+ yards because according to nfl.com he is 3rd with 16; behind Brady(22) and Romo(18).

Still in some darn good company there, but it seems they are accounting for yards after the catch as well.

Edit: Oops, just reread that... 25+ yards, not 20+. My bad. Interesting that there is a big difference between 25+ and 20+. Just out of curiosity; who is he tied with for 25+?

5. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

He's also throwing one hell of a lot of picks.

6. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Romo and Stafford.

unluckyluciano and Ophinerated like this.
  7. Ophinerated

Apr 1, 2008
    I was not expecting that.

8. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, if Henne continues his pace we could see 2 1k Wr's and a 1k running back this yr, Bline is at 170 yds, but 18 ypc, Dtrain is at 200 yds, BM is at 267 yds.

So:

830 yds for Bline
    733 yds for BM
    798 yds for Dtrain

In 13 more games, that is not a high bar to reach:

63 ypg for Bline
    56 ypg for Marshall
    61 ypg for DTrain

Heck Henne needs 243 ypg to top 4k yds

9. Ophinerated

Apr 1, 2008
    Now if we could only turn all those yards in to points... we'd be competin'!

firedan likes this.
  10. AdamC13

AdamC13 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    For balls in the air 21+ yards Henne is 6 for 13, 189 yards, 0 TD, 0 int.

11. HenneNator

HenneNator Banned

Sep 26, 2011
    Miami

bad trade!

12. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, that will happen, just to many shots being taken without landing any, like tap dancing on a mine field, sooner or later you are going to hit something.

Could be wrong Opie, but a team with 2 1000 yd wr's and a 1k rb has never had a top 5 draft choice season.

Ophinerated likes this.
  13. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    We'll probably set the record for the most yards in a season with the fewest points scored.

madforrit and Ophinerated like this.
  14. PhiNomina

PhiNomina White-Collar Redneck

Dec 21, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Screw throwing for 4k - Henne is on pace for 600 yards rushing.

15. HenneNator

HenneNator Banned

Sep 26, 2011
    Miami
    So....Henne has the SAME number of TDs as Philip Rivers and 2 FEWER int. And yet our "fan"base wants to cut Henne now, and feel Rivers is a stud QB.

Uh huh.

USArmyFinFan likes this.
  16. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I can believe it, noticed how well he was moving in the preseason but never thought he would do better then 100 yds rushing for the yr.

That much offensive output, you are going to put points up, sooner or later.

Ophinerated likes this.
  17. Ophinerated

Apr 1, 2008
    I would sure as hell hope so. But, I have come to expect the unexpected from this team. But at the same time I can't help but get giddy with the ease that we can move the ball between the 20s. Damn shame we can't get points for that; like in fantasy football.

18. Ludacris

Ludacris Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 8, 2008
    On 3rd and long and it's obivious to the defense it's a pass this line cannot protect him anywhere near long enough.

Trillfan and HenneNator like this.
  19. Ophinerated

Apr 1, 2008
    That's just ludacris ludicrous! :shifty:

20. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, one of the reasons why I have not given up on this yr is we started 0-3 in 09, and bounced back, and the offense is showing plenty of life, ST has improved, just the D needs to sort itself out, that is one of the reasons why practice matters tomorrow, Vern Carey and Colombo, Vontae Davis, Will Allen, we get some answers.

As for Henne, my one worry is he is being hit...a lot, not quite Cutler and his 101 sacks since landing in Chicago hit, but still if all of those yds will lead to points, all of those hits can take a toll.

HenneNator and Ophinerated like this.
  21. danloc04

danloc04 New Member

May 29, 2008
    Has ANYONE said to cut him now? And Rivers is a stud QB, a mediocre small sample size notwithstanding.

Nappy Roots and Rhody Phins Fan like this.
  22. Ophinerated

Apr 1, 2008
    I agree on the hits... Henne really needs to stop lowering his head when starting to scramble out... he needs to keep is eyes down field in front of him. I think 3 of his sacks this past week could have been avoided had he done so. Well, make that 2, since I am not sure if that QB draw inside the 10 was called or improvised.

23. HenneNator

HenneNator Banned

Sep 26, 2011
    Miami
    Half these posters want him gone. LOL!!

24. danloc04

danloc04 New Member

May 29, 2008
    There's a difference between wanting to let him go in the offseason and wanting to cut him now. I think most would agree he is our best option right now and for the rest of the season.

DeDolfan likes this.
  25. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    It's logical to do so as well, I thought rolling the dice on Henne was a bad bet by Sparano, I wanted Kyle Orton instead.

Now that the season has begun, this is Henne's ship to sail.

26. Ophinerated

Apr 1, 2008
    I never wanted Orton or any of the other QBs that we were rumored to make an attempt to get. I've had faith in Henne after seeing the remarkable improvement he has made... however... like many have stated... it may not be enough of an improvement, but I do like what I have seen in such a short time. If he can continue on his progression and not show more signs of regression like he did this last week, then I think he can be a darn good QB in this league. But, he needs some help in the red zone from the rest of is team mates in order to do so.

27. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Did you see signs of regression v the Browns Opie?

I did not see any, and I watched for them, not that I'm a scout or something, he made all of the throws, no area of the field was off limits for an attempt.

28. Ludacris

Ludacris Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 8, 2008
    I think he should also try to make his way outside the pocket...find a gap in the protection laterally instead of running north into DTs if it's not there. He needs to do a few Roethlisberger impersonations and rollout in space more because he isn't bad at throwing on the run. In space he will have less chances of the ball be batted down, he'll be able to see the field better and extend the plays because he needs to give himself more of chance to convert.

HenneNator and Ophinerated like this.
  29. Ophinerated

Apr 1, 2008
    The regression I saw was taking his eyes off the field when under pressure. In fact, I saw him duck a couple times and lean to move up field when there was nobody around him, except in the direction that he attempted to move after ducking. You can't attempt to move up in the pocket if you are not looking to see what is there. That is the only regression I saw, really. He did a good job in week one and two of keeping his head up and looking down field under pressure.

Edit: I should probably clarify a bit. In the first half he seemed to be fine for the most part, it wasn't until the second half that I really started to notice it. I don't know if he was hearing footsteps that weren't there, but if he wants to be in the upper echelon of the NFL he can't let that get to him.

padre31 likes this.
  30. Ophinerated

Apr 1, 2008
    That was part of the regression I saw. He was moving laterally in week one and two, but for some reason he gave that all up last week in certain situations.

31. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Not many people want a QB who can't convert 3rd downs, score in the red zone, and sucks in the 4th quarter. 31st in first down percentage. 24th in YPA. 20th in completion percentage. 21st in passer rating. We're the 2nd worst 3rd down team in the NFL with a 26% conversion rate, and as you can see, falls almost squarely on the shoulders of one guy. He's equally as bad in the redzone and the 4th quarter. Here's a spreadsheet I made of all QB's in the NFL on 3rd downs.

[​IMG]

electrolyte likes this.
  32. Zod

Zod Ruler of the Universe

Nov 25, 2007
    There is a down side to all those rush yards. When Henne is rushing its because the secondary is in Cover 1 running down the field with their backs to the QB. At the same time Henne is rushing for 10 yards, receivers are 30 yards down field on the perimeter in one on one matchups.

DeDolfan likes this.
  33. Rouk

Rouk Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Hollywood, Florida
    Rivers is struggling hard with gates being banged up so bad

34. Zod

Nov 25, 2007
    That's freaking horrible. I'd like to see a season of those stats beside a win percentage.

35. Trillfan

Trillfan Banned

Sep 27, 2011
    Megatron.

36. Trillfan

Trillfan Banned

Sep 27, 2011
    Couldn't agree more. The pass pro is bad overall, but in obvious passing situations its atrocious. Columbo, Carey & Incognito really need to improve.

I wish we'd use more backs and TE's to chip, plus more screens and draws but those tactics don't do you much good when you're trailing or behind the chains the way we've been for most of the season.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  37. Trillfan

Trillfan Banned

Sep 27, 2011
    I don't know either, but Sparano called him out for it & he doesn't do that often. To be fair he also said Henne played winning football, even in the red zone, wasn't his fault etc. but he singled out that play as one where Henne should've been looking to make a play not barrel into the arms of the closest defender.

Ophinerated likes this.
  38. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I'd like to see 3rd down conversion % when scrambles for 1st downs are factored in (if they aren't), I'm not sure if sacks are either.

39. Zod

Nov 25, 2007
    I think I'm fair with the dude. Forum members shilling for him not so much. That being said, I saw 7 total brain farts out of one guard and two backs in the Browns game.

The rest of Henne's pressure came from holding the ball for too long and five step drops from the shotgun. I'm beginning to believe Henne has the worst footwork imaginable in shotgun because I can't imagine 5 steps from the gun equates to a 7 step drop. Henne is dropping to a depth of 10 yards. The maximum I have ever heard of a tackle kickslide is 6 yards.

40. HenneNator

HenneNator Banned

Sep 26, 2011
    Miami
    I am not convinced you know anything more than what you see in Madden.