1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chad Henne & the Miami Dolphins

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by the 23rd, Dec 20, 2010.

Tags:
  1. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    ten simple truths about Chad Henne & the Miami Dolphins:
    1) Henne has a strong arm, however he is a thrower not a passer
    2) he is an inaccurate, inconsistent passer: overthrows, throws to the wrong shoulder or behind the receiver, too high, too low, too hard, fails to lead the receiver etc, etc
    3) he has trouble reading & reacting to changes in defenses
    4) his pass trajectory is way too low. unfortunately, neither Pennington nor Lee have been able to fix it after years of trying ( i.e ball is batted down with great frequency )
    5) makes too many bad decisions, especially in double coverage; his basic QB mechanics right down to faking a hand-off are pathetic
    6) the team has no confidence in his ability to get the job done & the offense has totally self-destructed under his leadership
    7) the coaches know they've made a mistake with Henne. It began with The Big Tuna's statement: Chad Henne is a disappointment. the benching by Sparano & Hennings' open criticism supported the obvious conclusion: he is not the QB that will take us to a SuperBowl.
    8) too much money, effort & time invested in this guy already. he is a bust & we need to make an immediate correction after this season. this fiasco has to come to an end in 2011, so we can move forward
    9) he will never be a franchise QB in the NFL
    10) at best: he may play as a back-up or start in Arena Football or maybe the Canadian League

jw3102 likes this.
  2. Dolfan330

Dolfan330 My wein is so chaffed...

Jan 25, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Where's the Miami Dolphins part?

3. NFL2102

NFL2102 New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Haven't you posted something like this already?

jupiterfin and MarinePhinFan like this.
  4. DePhinistr8

DePhinistr8 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    [​IMG]

5. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    Preaching to the choir here bro. Good luck in getting the Henne supporters to agree with you. It will all become clearer after the season ends. Ross' committment to having a winning team after this season. If he does nothing you will know right there he is not an owner we'll ever get a Lombardi Trophy with.

RGF, Phins28, gunn34 and 1 other person like this.
  6. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    What I see there are alot of coaching mishaps to be honest. Several of those points you make, point directly at the failure of coaching and player development.

#10, just proves the whole post as worthless insight, and nothing more than just a collection of points multiple posters have made on this website though. Really, maybe if he's lucky he can start in the CFL, or AFL? Give me a break, if he's not here next year (which he will be) he'll be a backup elsewhere in the NFL.

Wow...

ToddsPhins and MarinePhinFan like this.
  7. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    FellowMemberDePhinistr8:
    hindsight?
    not hardly, you've followed my posts in 2010, you know better.

Friend brandon27:

1) I agreed with you, he could be a back-up in the NFL
    2) I am no pundit. I have no crystal ball or inside information. obviously, many people have sighted the same things I posted in my list of ten. however, I have been saying them openly, expressing the same consistent message since game four.
    3) no more excuses, If the henne had talent it would be obvious by now. he is mediocre (@ best) to total bust. his time has come & gone. time to move on.
    4) Miami does not have their Franchise QB. there is no SuperBowl without the QB to lead the way, unless you think your Defense & Special Teams can light up the score board every game... not going to happen. Miami needs a QB.

8. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Oh, you see, thats the thing. Henne has talent. Enough of it that he was a 2nd round draft pick. The kid can make the throws, and as you've said has a great arm. Everyone knows that. The problem is, he's not putting it together. His accuracy wasnt much of an issue in college, his inability to play against the zone wasnt bad either, he didn't have a great deal of knocked down passes either. These are issues that are here now. So again, as I've asked for the past month or so, what has this staff done to help and to correct the issues? Why haven't we worked with him on his release point, to help him get that ball out, up a bit higher. Why is he throwing short of, and beyond receivers downfield, why are the decisions he's making extremely rushed. Is the knee causing it? Is the shaky OL play? Is it the coaches voices in his head about not making a mistake? Is it the buzzer going off telling him to get rid of the ball that's making him rush his decisions and trying to unload the ball ASAP? I don't know either, but what I do know, is its getting worse, its not getting better. In some cases we didn't see much of these issues at all over the course of his time here. So like I said, to me, most of these issues surround coaching issues.

If you can't see the talent that he's shown at times, then I dont know what to tell you. Maybe you dont want to see it? We've seen some great throws, and some good games from him. When you look at the offense as a whole, especially the shaky condition its in right now with injuries, its tough, real tough to get a good evaluation. Even yesterday though, he made some nice throws, same with last week. If you're awful, as in, awful enough to be "at best: he may play as a back-up or start in Arena Football or maybe the Canadian League", you wouldn't be seeing those kinds of things.

I'm really not sure where we go with this guy, but he's still here next year, I bet that. Whether he's the starter or not, remains to be seen. If QB stays Henne, Thigpen, Brandstater, Henne probably still gets the nod, especially if we can improve some of these issues that are correctable IMO.

In short, clearly he's not getting it done right now, he's clearly not as awful as many suggest, and IMO, he's clearly not getting the help he needs from this staff with regards to playcalling, and player development/coaching.

resnor and ToddsPhins like this.
  9. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Friend brandon27, you may be absolutely right
    however:
    1) roll the dice enough times & sooner or later you'll roll a winner
    but that doesn't make you a winner, you can lose your fortune in the process
    2) playing @ the college level & the NFL are 2 very different animals. success @ the college level does not automatically translate into success in the NFL
    3) I just don't see great talent in Chad Henne. Mediocre to bust, possibly a back-up QB but certainly not our future.
    4) I think there will be a clean sweep @ the end of the season: Sparano, Henning & Henne gone. we need to move forward. if I'm wrong, you get to tell me about next year. if I'm right, the franchise will surely benefit

brandon27 likes this.
  10. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Thanks. I'll remember that when I'm in Vegas next. Otherwise, really not sure what the hell that's here for...
    Of course it doesnt. We all know that. The fact of the matter though is that these are issues he mainly didn't have there. Sure, D's are slower and that stuff in college, but come on, if the release point is low as some have suggested, then why has that not been address in the almost 2 years he's been playing for us now, and the 3 years that he's been on the roster? If he's having difficulties reading, and adjusting to defenses here at this level, what have we done to address that? Given our terrible track record at developing QB's here, I'd say not too much. The only point i'm trying to make is, some of the issues we see, were not major issues for him in the past. Of course, with the difference in the game at the two levels you'd expect to see some area's of weakness get over exposed, but after 3 years of coaching, you'd expect to see them get improved as well. We haven't. That's an issue. Is it the player, or is it coaching. It's obviously a bit of both, but I'd say its quite a bit more on coaching as well.

Again, I don't know what to tell you there. There's great talent there, he's got the measurables, the brains, and the skilset. It's his ability right now to read defenses that's holding him back at times, and his lack of confidence right now in the offense, and its players, and probably that injured knee. The talent is there, we've all seen it. Come on. I know you don't like the kid, but give some credit where its due. He's shown some good things.

I don't agree. Henne will be here. Henning shouldnt be. Sparano, IMO now... shouldn't be either, but I feel he will be, which I think is unfortunate with some of the better options out there. If our approach is to be improve at any position necessary, by any means necessary, then if we can improve at OC and HC, we need to. We need to bring in another QB, and have it a preseason competition, and tons of work MUST be done with Henne all offseason working on his weakness in reading, and recognition, not throwing the ball in 3 seconds or less with a buzzer. Of course, thats all if there is a season next year.

11. Frayser

Frayser Barstool Philosopher

Dec 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    You lose all credibility with #10. All.

resnor, Ozzy, GMJohnson and 2 others like this.
  12. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    Yea...nothing to do with the coaching staff. Naaaaah.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/mrp123/thread-******ed-batman.jpg

resnor, brandon27, CaribPhin and 3 others like this.
  13. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Friend brandon27:
    I respect you're opinions. you maybe right. obviously, I have a much harsher view of Henne than you do. I can only add look for a clean sweep:Sparano, Henning & Henne. the problem runs deep. time will tell, all this is banter & speculation, posts on a dolfan forum, nothing written in blood

brandon27 likes this.
  14. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    And here all along I thought robots liked other robots :wink2:

15. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Frayser
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain an idea without accepting it." - Aristotle
    excellent!

16. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    He lost all credibility when he said Murtha was a good RT.

finyank13 likes this.
  17. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Thanks for the kind words, I'm glad you're working on discussing the issue aside from little random comments like you have in the past. That being said though, believe me, I'm not impressed with what Henne has done this season either. The point I'm trying to make though, is instead of throwing the guy under the bus week after week, and having to read the same stuff week after week of Henne sucks, blah blah blah (not referring to you), and instead of just re-hashing the same points about his game that are now all over the internet, lets try and think about things outside of that box. Like I said, like why haven't these problems been addressed? What are we doing to correct them? Why are they happening? That, to me is the bigger issue than his play on the field.

I've lost all faith in this coaching staff. I still have some in Chad Henne. We replaced the first part of our ancient coaching staff in Paul Pasqualoni last year, look how much our defense has improved with the addition of Nolan, and some younger talent? We've added a big threat at WR in Marshall, and we tried to rebuild the OL, and our offense is just as anemic as ever. Its time to replace the staff here. Whether thats just Henning, or a combination of Henning and Sparano. Either way, I'm all for that before I'm all for replacing a quarterback that given the track record on the offensive side of the ball with coaching, and development, I'm hoping to see what Henne can do in a different offensive system. As I stated earlier, we need to bring in another QB, to push and compete in camp with Henne, hopefully with a new offensive system. Changes like that can do wonders for players. Our defense this year, compared to last proves that 110%.

We need to keep developing whats here, and put them in better positions to succeed. We need to upgrade wherever possible, HC, OC, QB. That being said, if you look to upgrade the QB, you dont cut him outright. Not a player that young, with that little experience, with all the physical tools you want in a QB. You work on developing him, and work on developing an offense that caters to his strengths.

the 23rd likes this.
  18. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Friend brandon27:
    I would have no problem with that... competition is the Elixir of Success. I just want Miami to go for the BigBrassRing, move up & snatch a number one draft choice, maybe Carson Palmer or Vick in FreeAgency. you usually get what you pay for in life, time to do it.

brandon27 likes this.
  19. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I've cleaned up this thread quite a bit this morning.

As an aside, there's no need for any of us to assume that anyone here is not watching the games. If you're here, you're watching the games. Maybe we see different things or some see things others don't, whatever.

If you disagree, fine. But don't disrespect each other. None of us benefits from that.

Thanks

20. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    He had credibility?

GMJohnson likes this.
  21. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I hear ya man... I hope that ring isnt made from brass though, id want mine to be gold. Solid Gold, and loaded with diamonds and other expensive stuff :lol:

We don't have the ammo to move up in this draft since we have no 2nd rounder as it is, and we have alot of needs. Again though, you draft a QB, you face the possibilities that you're going to end up with Tom Brady, or Ray Lucas. I'd say 8 times out of 10, its Ray Lucas unfortunately. So its a hell of a gamble, and if it fails we're here again having this chat in a year or two.

Palmer, I feel like his best days are well behind him. I don't know if he's what we want going forward. He might be a nice stopgap though. Vick... I just don't think its likely we get him. I don't know how great of a fit it is for this team, and Vick though.

22. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    FellowMembers jupiterfin & mor911:

interesting observations
    always a good thing to follow the flow
    if you can see where its is coming from
    you can look @ the lay of the land
    & have a good idea where things are going
    it is what it is
    if you run with dogs you catch flees
    its a dolphin forum filled with banter & opinions
    my posts are but one voice amongst many

Merry Christmas

I think most would agree, we need major changes on offense

23. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    by thinking he had credibility, they lost all their credibility. Since they lost all their credibility, they do not have any credibility to say he lost his credibility, so now he has credibility.

You have to keep up

GMJohnson, RGF, mor911 and 1 other person like this.
  24. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    #6 is sooo true.

I think henne stays next year too. Hopefully as a back up. Three years from now I don't know if he's in the NFL. Not with the defenses already knowing what he's doing. Remember J Russell had talent too. Enough that he was selected #1 overall. That doesn't mean he could read a defense or stick on a roster. Now he's watching the playoffs from home like us and the San Diego QB selected #2 overall. I forgot his name

brandon27 likes this.
  25. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    thank you Friend Dol-Fan Dupree for establishing my credibility, you're a scholar, a gentleman & a credit to the forum

Dol-Fan Dupree likes this.
  26. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Very true. He's got the ability to do it though, and the ability to learn. You know he's putting the work in. Russel was just downright lazy. He didn't apply himself at all, not one bit of his time was spent giving it 100%. Hell, I doubt he even gave it 40%. Thats the difference, and the point I'm trying to make. He's got the ability, he just needs to be polished up a bit. The coaches need to do a better job there IMO. We know he can throw, etc, etc, etc... We've just got to work on teaching him and developing him as a player to make him better. Afterall, thats what you've got to do with 2nd round QB's. You've got to teach them some things, they dont have it all, you've got to help them get it. we've got to do a better job of that IMO.

27. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I'd rather have Henne over Palmer, as Palmer is a BUM.......as for Vick....

Let me introduce you to the franchise tag Mr. 23rd.....or just a flat out extension....

no way Philly lets him go....think Ortin, maybe Kolb, but for what Philly is asking for Kolb I dont want him either..

28. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    we do not know there is going to be a franchise tag

29. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    the next time football is played there will be a franchise tag....and a cap...it may not be this year or next....but it will happen again..

30. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    They want the players to take less of the piece of the pie, i can see the franchise tag going away to make the players happy

31. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    They are going to have to replace it with a longer exclusive negotiating window than curently exsist....

32. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    if it gets replaced, it will be replaced by something that is going to make using it to rent a player for one year very prohibative.

33. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    right the window that exsist now is to short, originally the franchise tag however almost is intended to further that window before a player hit free agency, but alias owners took advantage of it...and wound up using it to burn a guy out for a year for the teams sole benefit.....they need something longer....before FA hits...

34. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

(sung to Duran Duran's Rio theme)

His name was RIO
    and he thinks Chad Henne is baaaaaaaaaad

the colors that he uses
    gives me, the best trip I've haaaaaaaad

And so on and so forth.

HardKoreXXX, Fin D and mor911 like this.
  35. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    baaaahahahhahhahhahhahhahahhahahahhahahahhahahhahahah!!!

36. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    it is what it is:
    the thread we're posting
    disagree? elaborate
    agree? speak up
    some other ideas? innumerate
    the idea is to post the thread
    or read it & move on

37. NFL2102

NFL2102 New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    That right there is why I say we don't draft a QB in the first round.

38. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Friend NFL2102:
    of coarse I agree with you because I agree with me
    having said that
    1) any player drafted runs the same risk in the NFL regardless of position. have to roll the dice anyway, why not go after a QB?
    2) I'm sure Ireland is already scouring everything & everywhere for new QB talent. all the acorns will be picked up & examined from small colleges to Arena football to the Canadian League
    3) there is always the possibility that a QB could arise from free-agency like Carson Palmer or Vick
    4) only thing I'm sure of is that there will be another QB under center in 2011

39. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Points 1-6- Since you obviously spend a lot of time inside the practice field talking with Lee and Pennington, maybe you could help Henne work on these problems that you'v identified. Heck...better yet...why don't you just start at QB next week instead? I'd bet that if you ever completed two passes in a row, Henning would reward you with two wildcat/running plays and a 3rd and long situation as well. Everyone knows that's how to get a QB motivated to play great football...bench him when he does well and let him struggle when he does bad!

7-8- In the seven years since Marino retired, where was a better value QB on our roster? Oh, Pennington, you say? Yeah, that worked out perfect.....we paid him okay for the one year he did phenomenol, then overpaid him to attend rehab for two years. Or maybe you're thinking of Culpepper, Lemon, White, Feely, or one of the dozen others.

9- He became our franchise QB last year, so you're a little late on that insightful prediction.

10- or he could start for nearly two years for the Miami Dolphins. Don't quote me on that, because I'm nowhere near the psychic friends genuis that you are.

40. RevRick

RevRick Long Haired Leaping Gnome Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA
    G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G --Rate Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk%
    16 16 8-8-0 320 526 60.8 3284 17 3.2---16 3.0 -- 52 6.2 - 5.5 10.3 205.3 76.9 24 180 5.6 - 5.0 - 4.4
    11 11 2-9-0 205 356 57.6 2108 11 3.1 ---15 4.2 --68 5.9 - 4.6 10.3 191.6 67.5 21 178 5.1 - 3.9 - 5.6

G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G --Rate Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk%
    14 13 7-6-0 274 451 60.8 2878 12 2.7 ---14 3.1 -- 67 6.4 - 5.5 10.5 205.6 75.2 26 176 5.7 - 4.8 - 5.5
    13 12 7-7-0 266 430 61.9 2952 14 3.3 ---16 3.7 -- 57 6.9 - 5.8 11.1 227.1 77.6 25 148 6.2 - 5.2 - 5.5

Some of you may have seen this and know the object of this lesson. Some may have not seen it, but are perspicacious enough to recognize it. For those who do not, this is a comparison between two quarterbacks at very nearly the same point in their career. What would you do with either of them?