1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chad Henne vs other starting QB's - 1st Pre Season Game

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by vt_dolfan, Aug 17, 2011.

1. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Well....since he is our starting QB, we're gonna see a ton of threads on him anyways.

I found this article...and I thought it interesting enough to share here.....

"Chad Henne’s not-so-hot night in Atlanta has the Hanging Chad Club out in force. Not only was his performance enough to fuel an outcry for his head, but also the heads of the coach stupid enough to believe Henne could be an NFL quarterback and the GM dumb enough to draft him.

"Relax" the rosy-eyed optimists say. "It’s just the first preseason game."

"So what?" the realists reply. "Why can’t you pull your face out of your bongs long enough to recognize what is plain to everyone? He’s not good enough and last night is proof."

From up in the castle we can hear the peasants and they are revolting: "Why didn’t we get Kolb? Why didn’t we trade for Orton? Why didn’t we draft Mallett, who is clearly the next Dan Marino based on his dissection of 11 guys wearing Jaguar uniforms? Henne sucks, our front office sucks, lets line up for Luck now."

Before we light the torches and grab the pitchforks let’s try and take a step back.

OK let’s use the first week as a barometer of how Henne fared. Let’s take an objective look at the performances of all 32 starting quarterbacks. I say starters because they were the only ones who played the other team’s first string defense.

How a starter did, regardless of how much or little he played shall be used as the scale to determine just how bad Henne is.

New offensive coordinator- irrelevant, missing offensive starter- irrelevant…two weeks practice – irrelevant.

Henne as well all know by now was 4/8 (50%) for 77 yds, 1 td 2ints and a qb rating of 83.9".....

http://www.thephinsider.com/2011/8/...had-lets-get-all-the-evidence-and-do-it-right

Just to compare:

Kyle Orton went 2-6 .....29 yrds and a 55.6 QBR. 0-Td 0- Int

2. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    All the teams that have their QBs compared there are either:

1. In same situation.

2. Better than Henne.

Just saying.

Bpk, JimToss, gunn34 and 1 other person like this.
  3. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I think the point is to let people know that you cannot judge a player's offseason growth after three series.

4. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Fixed. :up:

5. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    If so, I agree. Sorry if I misread VT.

Ophinerated, GMJohnson and vt_dolfan like this.
  6. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Thats kinda the point I was getting at......

Its more I think...just a message of, dont lose perspective is all. Ive heard it described a different way when listening to the radio....in the first preseason game...dont pay attention to stats...how did they "look".

Actually...one thing I think that stood out in alot of the first preseason games....were how none of the rookie QB's looked like they didnt belong on the field....(the Newton's...Mallet's..etc)

I think we will all get an accurate measure of Henne's growth by the end of the half on Friday night...and what we see in game 3. Lets be careful not to draw conclusions until we can look at all of the evidence...

padre31 likes this.
  7. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I thought Mallett looked like he belonged, personally. He did have issues but he looked like he belonged. I'll be watching Newton (and Locker) later. I broke down Kaepernick and he didn't look like he belonged though. However, still early.

Bpk likes this.
  8. AdamC13

AdamC13 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    Reality check...

Chad Henne = 3 drives against Atlanta 1st team defense...2 interceptions, one 3 and out = 0 points!

1-5, 5 yards, 0 TD, 2 interceptions...0.00 QB Rating

Even if someone wants to argue Fasano pass should have been caught Henne's numbers against Atlanta 1st team D...

2-5, 12 yards (fair to say Fasano wasn't going to be getting any RAC), 0 TD, 1 interception...8.33 QB rating

BTW...just going 0-5, 0 yards, 0 TD, 0 interceptions would result in a 39.58 QB rating

Chad Henne = 1 drive against reserves...1 TD

3-3, 72 yards, 1 TD, 0 interceptions...158.33

Bpk and CirclingWagons like this.
  9. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I think Henne is going to have a good game against the Panthers this Friday night. He's very up and down. He was up for the scrimmage, a little down (let's be honest) against the Falcons, and I think he could have a much needed up performance.

10. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    In my experience true rookies rarely do well at QB even in preseason. Their heads are spinning off their shoulders. There's often a dramatic turnaround by second year.

11. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Yeah that's mainly because of they're unfamiliar with responsibilities or are learning on the job (in game). They receive the snap, see all the moving pieces of the defense after the route distribution and then hit the checkdown to be safe. But Ryan Mallett wasn't really like that because he's so far ahead of many of the guys drafted ahead or behind him mentally. I haven't watched Locker yet (will tonight) but it wouldn't surprise me if he was similar to Mallett in that case. Both guys had a lot to do on offense in college. Interesting thing with Kaepernick was that he wasn't really like the other young QBs, throwing safe and all, but you can't really decide if its poor decision making at this early stage of his career on his part or if hes understanding what hes asked to do. Its interesting. He has a lot of issues, biggest one being footwork right now, but he has some potential.

12. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    From what I've seen and heard, Locker knocked one out of the park in that first game. We'll see though. Still not high on him.

13. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Just for info, Newton is starting against us Friday.

14. CirclingWagons

CirclingWagons Banned

Dec 5, 2007
    Miami, FL
    ^
    This.

15. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    So Matt Ryan who went 0-4 against our first unit is a bum also I guess?

TiP54, Paul 13, Steve-Mo and 2 others like this.
  16. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Guess I'll see tonight. I saw his touchdown though. Loved the use of the half-roll, even though Locker fumbled the snap, it looked like the roll was designed.

17. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    You know, following Orton's lackluster outing, I headr Broncos fans had started a "we want a third round pick and a conditional third the following year" chant...

Paul 13, Ophinerated and GMJohnson like this.
  18. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I think it's cool that Newton is going to start against us. I'd like to watch him play. Haven't gotten a chance to watch that first game yet. I'd like to see him start this year. Of the four guys I liked most in this Draft I think all four are in relatively good situations.

1. Ponder is going to have to sit behind McNabb and that's a good thing. He's not the kind of physical dynamo that will get it right away. But all indications are that McNabb has turned into this super McDouche and one of Ponder's biggest strong suits is his locker room presence, work ethic, brains, etc. That having McDouche as a foil gives him the opportunity to set himself apart and win support in the locker room before he even gets out there. And when he does get out there, I think the scheme is a good fit for him. He's good on his feet.

2. Gabbert is the one of the four I felt most urgently needed to SIT for a year, maybe even two. He's got the worst quotient of physically dynamic talent to pro style experience among the four. He's definitely got a mess of physical talent, that's not what I'm saying, but he's not some Big Ben/Josh Freeman/Cam Newton physical dynamo. And his pro style experience is worst among the four as far as translating it to what he'd be doing in the pros. Yes, even worse than Cam Newton, because I believe wholeheartedly that the Panthers are going to mold their playbook to him and do a lot of what he did at Auburn. What I like is that Gabbert is sitting behind David Garrard, and those two are going to get along great. Ponder has a stronger personality than Gabbert so I don't feel like he necessarily needs to get along with the guy he's backing up...he's strong enough to set himself apart and learn that way. Gabbert though, I think he's better off sitting behind a guy that likes him and really is taking him under his wing and teaching him things, and I think Garrard will do that. I also think Garrard could very well have his best season as a pro, because he's kinda ticked off about them drafting Blaine...and that's good because it'll keep Blaine where he belongs, on the bench, for as long as possible.

3. Ryan Mallett needed to be knocked down a peg or three. I feel like that happened throughout the whole Draft process, it was kind of ridiculous how bad it got for him. But, it was great experience for things he'll need as a pro, which are the ability to tune things out and focus on the task at hand. You can be Aaron Rodgers and someone's always going to be tossing out criticism that can be hard to ignore. He's now in a situation where he has a super strong personality at quarterback in Tom Brady, and Tom has a strangle hold on the position and on the team. This is a test for Mallett, maybe even the perfect one. According to what everyone was saying about his personality, he should fail this test. He should rub everyone wrong, start grousing about how unlucky he is, start demanding trades, being sulky, not giving 100% in practice because he's never going to start anyway...doing everything he can to get Bill Belichick to just give up on him, basically. That's all according to the book that got written on him prior to the Draft. I don't think any of that's going to happen. I think he's going to be a model teammate and he's going to learn a lot of things from Tom Brady. He's going to learn how to be as ultra competitive as he is, but in the RIGHT way, the way that comes off smooth like your sh-t doesn't stink. He and Brady have that ultra competitiveness that borders on dickishness. But Brady's very polished now. It also helps that Mallett's modeled his game a lot after Brady and Peyton and now he gets to watch firsthand how to be a master pocket passer like them. Basically Ryan Mallett just got enrolled in Finishing School, and I think whoever trades for him is going to be pretty happy about that.

4. Now you have Cam Newton. The Panthers are kind of a mess. For him, I like that. Of all the four guys, only Christian Ponder exudes more leadership skills, IMO. That's not necessarily because it comes natural to Cam, but because he's trained and willed himself to do it. I think he has the character to take hold of a team right away and try and put them on his shoulders. That's what we found. He works hard enough to do it. And perhaps more importantly, he's enough of a physical marvel that when he goes out there, he's always going to be making the kind of "wow" plays that keep hope alive for the future. They may not win a whole lot of games this year but he's going to get much needed experience and it's going to be his team, and I like that. He's the one guy that IMO needed to play immediately, to start getting his feet wet. Even Mallett, before he started playing, you wanted to be sure that his personality issues were out of the way.

Steve-Mo, Bpk and eltos_lightfoot like this.
  19. CirclingWagons

CirclingWagons Banned

Dec 5, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Are you really comparing Matt Ryan to Chad Henne? Really?

20. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    When you're as good as Ryan, you can start shaky.

When you sucked as much as Henne did last year, then come out and throw one interception on a pass thrown behind a receiver that he bobbled, and another on a terrible, TERRIBLE read, you can't.

As for those who said you can't judge offseason progress by three series. He made the same kind of stupid read he did last year. Ergo, no progress.

Sorry those looking through Henne glasses, we are going nowhere with this guy behind center.

21. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Nope, the point went right over your head didn't it. :yes:

Both teams didn't game plan for what the defense was going to do, so yes, the defense will have the upper hand.

To base anything on a few plays in the first preseason game, when both teams have been in camp for only two weeks is just silly!

eltos_lightfoot and Ophinerated like this.
  22. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    There's nothing wrong with what he said.

Well, actually there is one thing wrong with it. Matt Ryan was actually 1 of 5 for 21 yards, 0 TDs and 0 INTs against our 1st string defense.

Not exactly the strongest of showings for Matt Ryan to start out with...but I did feel he was forcing the ball to Julio Jones, very likely under direction from the coaching staff. They definitely started that game with the full intention on feeding Julio as much as possible and especially in that first drive I felt like they paid for that.

But even if you're going to just compare how they did versus 1st stringers, even if you count that Fasano bobble as a catch instead of an interception, we're still talking an 8.3 QB Rating versus a 44.6 QB Rating.

They both ramped it up against 2nd stringers. The one primary difference being when Ryan ramped it up versus the Dolphins' 2nd stringers, he was also throwing passes to his 2nd stringers like Eric Weems, Harry Douglas and Justin Peelle. When Henne ramped up versus the Falcons' 2nd stringers, he was still throwing to our 1st stringers Brian Hartline, Davone Bess and Anthony Fasano.

Bpk likes this.
  23. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Henne didn't have Marshall or Bush...I would have to think that makes a difference...

CWBIII likes this.
  24. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Marshall, yes. Bush...we'll find out.

Steve-Mo and Ophinerated like this.
  25. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Oh, I think it pretty safe to assume that Bush's presence woulda helped Henne and our offense. C'mon.

26. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Eh, here is the funny thing to me, if Henne went out and threw 3 Td's on 8 passes, "oh it is preseason" would be trotted out, when he doesn't it is "more of the same".

If threw 8 Td's would people then be happy?

I'd say probably not, Friday cannot come here soon enough.

Ophinerated likes this.
  27. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I would be happy if he threw 3 touchdowns on 8 passes.

I would be tempered due to the fact that it is preseason, however it would add to hope.

Bpk, eltos_lightfoot and NJFINSFAN1 like this.
  28. CirclingWagons

CirclingWagons Banned

Dec 5, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Ok, point taken. The fact remains, though: At the end of the day one of those QBs is very good while the other one is very bad.

No one gives a sh*t if Matt Ryan puts up bad stats in the PS b/c the guy is a baller when the real games start.

29. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I don't think that's safe to say at all. We'll see.

30. Buckeyetroop

Buckeyetroop Active Member

Sep 27, 2010
    Thank you. :up:

31. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Yeah I don't get when people say that. I said before the preseason started that if he's drawing preseason passer ratings in the 90's then I'll actually start to believe he might be turning the corner. And that would be a significant move off my previous stance. Yet people have to pretend that he needs to throw 3 TDs in only 8 attempts in order to unsuccessfully impress us?

Jesus.

Baby steps please. First we can try not throwing an interception every 4th attempt...then we'll work our way up to throwing a TD every 3rd attempt.

Bpk and smahtaz like this.
  32. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    I'm not saying Henne is anything but what he is, you just can't use a few plays in games that they didn't game plan to base an opinion. If you want to go by career, than I would agree.

I have been a Henne backer, although I wanted Mallet something awful. That being said I'm willing to see what the new OC and QB coach can do with Henne. Do I have high hopes? No, but what choice do I have now?

Bpk and Makados10 like this.
  33. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    All he needs to do is limit his turnovers to find success. This is his year, and probably last chance with the dolphins to prove it. We've seen him throw deep, have good accuracy, throw TD's, move the chains. But if he continues in the regular season to turn the ball over (his fault or not) he's not the qb the dolphins need to be a good-great team in this league. If he's turning it over as much as he's putting TD's on the board we will float in Mediocrity. It's a bad decision to give up on him before this year, he's still young enough to prove he's worthy of a starting Qb spot. Some of his play in the first 2 years have shown his potential. If Henne protects the football in 2011 the dolphins will win games with him under center.

Sidenote: The funny thing i haven't seen mentioned about the first pick to Fasano, is Bess is over the middle with single coverage doing a hook. and right when Henne's about to force feed fasano Bess is turning around. That's the throw Henne should have made, making the argument about Fasano's poor excecution in double coverage or Henne's bad throw irrelevant. But it was the first throw of preseason action, i'm not certain he would have made the same decision in a regular season game. Maybe he would have, maybe not. That is of course if i remember the play correctly.

Bpk and smahtaz like this.
  34. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I watched Locker play and he was horrid. I thought he looked pretty much like he did in college. Even some of his completions were flukey. He had a pass that his TE caught that was high and behind that I think gets caught 1 out of 1000. If the TE misses it's an easy INT by the safety about 10 yards behind him. That happens and nobody is saying Locker played well. Contrast that to the pass that hit Fasano in the facemask that turned into an INT. That pass is caught 999 out of a 1000 times. That happens and Henne is over a 90 QBR. Although I expect that many here would still be focused on the pass he forced that was an INT. LOL

35. CirclingWagons

CirclingWagons Banned

Dec 5, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Fair enough. I'm with you on Mallett, though...there was absolutely no (good) reason for the Fins not to take him.

Makados10 and NJFINSFAN1 like this.
  36. AdamC13

AdamC13 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    Actually, I think throwing 3 TD passes in a game would go a long way with Dolphin fans. So far in 27 starts he has only thrown 2 TD passes in 6 of those games and has never thrown 3 TD passes in a game. Unfortunately, he has thrown 3 interceptions in a game 5 times.

I am keeping an open mind that Henne has improved. I thought he made some nice plays in limited action against the Falcons, along with a blatantly bad one. But other than the MNF game against the Jets in 2009 there is no other game to point to that as a fan I can say "There was that game against...that Henne tore it up."

3 TD passes on 8 attempts...I would go buy me a Henne jersey.

37. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I think we shall see that this game, especially if we see Marshall in the game as Bush is already going to play.

Cannot wait to see if Livas has a solid game, just a solid, smart, productive outing and maybe some at Wr.

AdamC13 likes this.
  38. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Funny thing about that Rafi, Moore threw an Int and no one barked about it, mainly because he was being aggressive and pushing the ball down the field, I'd like to see Henne do the same, even if it a int, just let it fly and let his guys make a play for him.

39. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Honestly I don't see speculating what if Fasano caught that ball, he'd have been 5/8 for 84 yards, 1TD, 1INT or whatever. If he hadn't thrown that interception I think it'd be a fair bet he wouldn't have been out there for that fourth drive against the Falcons' backups. So we don't really know what the stats look like in that scenario.

Bpk and Stitches like this.
  40. Fineas

Fineas Club Member Luxury Box

Jan 5, 2008
    I thought the 2nd interception was an aggressive pass. It wasn't real far downfield, but it was a tough throw that I think he made because he was being aggressive. He might have let it go a half second later than would have been ideal with 20/20 hindsight, but I still see that as an aggressive throw.