1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chad Pennington the Offensive guru?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by zwave21, Nov 27, 2013.

1. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    So, after playing the Panthers this week one thing I came away with is Cam Newton just seems so much more composed and comfortable at QB. I think a large part of that is the Offensive staff the Panthers have. "Riverboat" Ron has stayed with the team despite a lack of serious success the past 2 seasons but they look pretty good this year. A large part of that is the job OC Mike Shula and QB Coach Ken Dorsey have done. And yes, that is UMiami folk legend Ken Dorsey. Why is that though? Well, despite his stint at Alabama Shula has been awfully successful as a QB coach. He has made some pretty subpar QB's look serviceable. Granted Cam is the most talented QB his has worked with by far, but in reality Cam was by no means a finished product when he came to Carolina and is by no means a finished product as he stands today. The guy has all the tools and talent to be the most talented to play the position but he always needs coaching.

Flashback to Tannehill in the draft process and this past offseason. He was working out and training for the upcoming season at the IMG Academies in Bradenton. A lot of athletes use this Academy but my question is they have usually been known for soccer and baseball who could they possibly have coaching him? Oh, well that's another folk legend Mr. Chris Weinke (best QB name ever btw!). Weinke has been training some of the best and brightest of upcoming QB prospects and he has been regarded as a talented evaluator and developer.

The trend I am seeing is that despite their age or experience a lot of former pro/college QB are having success. And there is one guy who is no longer playing who still has helped around our organization. Enter.... Mr. Chad Pennington. I have always thought Pennington would make one hell of a coach whenever his playing days were over. It's sad how injuries ended his career. But in the 1+yrs he was under center for us you could always tell the guy was just so intelligent. He rarely turned the ball over and made mistakes. What he lacked in arm or talent he made up for in intelligence and preparation. Those last two things are something we seriously need from a OC/QB coach. After 6+years with Tannehill you'd think Sherman and Zac Taylor (QB Coach) would know how to best utilize his abilities. As seen this year such is not the case.

What are your guys thoughts as Pennington as a potential QB coach? I wouldn't say he is ready to be a coordinator just yet but he is a guy if he wants could make a fast ascension through the coaching ranks.

Also any other hot names to watch for as potential position coaches or coordinators?

2. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    Eh. I came away thinking that Newton is immature and pouty when things don't get his way; preening and oh-so-casual like everything is easy when things go right. I mean he almost lost the game for his team because he shut down for a half after getting a little bloody.

I agree that we need a new QB coach, but I really don't want to mess with it. I want someone with a resume of doing the job at a high level. I'll be fair though and say that as far non-traditional candidates go, Penny is pretty good

djphinfan likes this.
  3. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I'd be ok with Chad Pennington getting the same opportunity that Mike Sherman's son in law is getting. Have the title but appreciate under an offensive coordinator.

4. Phinastic

Phinastic Active Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Yeah I wasn't too impressed by Cam Newton. Tannehill showed him up until that last drive.

DOLPHAN1 likes this.
  5. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    If he wants to do it, he could very well take the Jason Garrett path towards being a head coach someday. Nick Saban hired Jason Garrett in 2006 to be Miami's QB coach I believe after he had been cut by the bucs in camp.

6. I can see the potential for Tannehill and Pennington having good chemistry. There are certain things about RT that remind me of Pennington before he tore his rotor cup and actually could throw a deep ball. RT likes to dink and dunk and spread it around. It might be a good fit.

7. Daben

Daben Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Pennington's comments regarding coaching so far have suggested that he wants to prioritise his family now, at least until whatever children has are grown up. He made the comments in the past that he would actually like to be a high school coach, but he appears very comfortable just doing informal consults and similar work for now.

It may be that in time he will want to explore coaching in the NFL, but he clearly isn't in any rush, and I'm guessing it would have to be some kind of insane financial offer and a head coaching job to make him change his mind. So I doubt he is on an NFL sideline in a full time capacity anytime soon. I would definitely see if he would like to work for a set period during the offseason with our QBs however, and he should be very open to that.

8. phintasmic

phintasmic Banned

Oct 21, 2013
    Rotator cuff. They wear cups.

9. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I would be the first in line to hire that guy, I think he has great head coach potential and I would have already let him know how bad I want him if I was the GM..Jim Harbaugh potential.