1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chamois or Towel

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by azfinfanmang, Mar 30, 2008.

Tags:

How do you dry off your ride

1. CHAMIOS

50.0%
  2. TOWEL

22.2%
  3. AU NATURAL

16.7%
  4. OTHER- Please specify

11.1%
  1. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Okay, so I was out washing the rig this afternoon and of course one of the most important aspects is the "Drying" process....and the preceission for this thread came to mind.

I much prefer the good ole fashoined Chamois. A bit more expensive (Although there are some VERY expensive specialized towels out there now), but I think they do a far superior job..

I am creating this poll to see where people stand on this...and YES your vote is important

2. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    Wow....................................................
    werst.
    thread.
    evar.

edit: and I voted natural, I just throw some soap on it when it rains and then let the sun dry it.

3. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    Ahhhh..but you still post.... :lol:

4. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    trying to get some fin credits are ya?

5. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    when i was in school i worked for a car dealership in the detailing shop. we used to use chamois all the time. While they can do a good job, they tend to leave streaks and water behind. However they do absorb water better than a towel. the nice thing with the chamois is once its soaked, you can wring it out and start over, towels will stay wet. After a while we actually abandoned the chamois all together and went to strictly using towels. The trick though is to make sure theyre always washed and dried after use to help protect your paint job.

If your vehicle has a waxed surface, the best thing to do is rinse it off with running water out of a hose. not a spray nozzel. just smooth running water, let it roll off the paint so you have less to dry. id say... NEVER let it try in the sun "au natural" then you end up with pesky waterspots, some of which can "burn" into the paint if your vehicle stays in hot weather conditions.

as for chamois vs towel. Really it depends on your preference. the key is keeping them both clean after use so you dont scratch your paint. most people prefer the chamois becuase dirt particles cant get stuck to them like it can with a towel. personally i find a towel to do a better job... only because i dont like how long it takes to break in a new chamois though.

but as you stated, you can buy some pretty good detailing towels now at any auto store, waxing the paint though is a key element too. i recommend mcguires ;) it does a fantastic job, and it smells good too! haha maybe thats whats wrong with me..

anyways... dont know if this helped. but hopefully it did :up:

Den54 and azfinfanmang like this.
  6. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Blowdry that ****.

Stitches likes this.
  7. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    Hey guys I went ahead and started a thread on whats the best window cleaner to use. Feel free to vote on that thread too.........

MelbournePhin likes this.
  8. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    some good towels that dont leave lint are the best, imo. older bath towels are the best

a chamois is nice, but i dont like ringing them out and sometimes you pay good money for crap. find those nice towels. when one soaks up, go to the next one

9. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    chamois tend to be more effective for me, but they get very dirty for some reason, and due to their smaller size you go through them quicker than towels.

plus when the water is freezing, it sucks using a chamois.

10. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

I just refuse to wash my car. Period.

11. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    :eek: When water is freezing is sucks to wash your car:yes:

12. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    Only a damp Chamois will do if you "care" for you're vehicle.

Phinperor and azfinfanmang like this.
  13. phineas64

phineas64 Season Ticket Holder

Hear hear! Isn't that the purpose of rain?

14. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
  15. H.Moody

H.Moody Junior Member

Jan 3, 2008
    Los Angeles,Ca.
    I got a couple of "micro fibre" towels for drying.My car is black and they do a great job absorbing water.

16. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    i use these lamb skin things from the auto shop and I refuse to wash my car without them now (ok, proceed with the condom jokes now).

17. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    :no:
    [​IMG]